Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Sensor Fault?

Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

Default Tire Pressure Sensor Fault?

For those that have the 07 or 08 models, have any of you seen this message before? I've checked all 4 tires, and they are all at 32psi, so I'm assuming one of the wheel sensor's has gone bad....problem is, I have aftermarket wheels, so I don't really want to take it to the dealership for them to tell me which one. I was thinking about putting the car on a lift, taking all four wheels off, and moving one wheel at a time far away from the car, to see if the message quits on a certain wheel. Any other ideas on how I can determine what's going on here?

[IMG]local://upfiles/56891/BF96B6995EA6417594A1D97CA15E7C06.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tire Pressure Sensor Fault?

unless you get sensors put on your aftermarket wheels, get used to the error message [8D]. i remember reading some posts a few weeks ago where people asked about having the message removed by ford, but i believe the conclusion was that such a thing is impossible -federal regulations or something along those lines. anyway,the same thing happens to me. it comes and goes, sometimes not popping up, sometimes popping up while i'm driving. if you hit the reset button, it disappears - i'm so used to doing that now i hardly even notice the message anymore... imho, it's a small price to pay for a sweet set of aftermarket shoes
Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

I took the sensor's off of the original wheels, bought the $50 straps from Ford, and re-mounted them on the new wheels. This was when the car was one week old, now I have 20,000 miles on the car, and this just happened this week. So I'm sure one of the sensors has gone bad.....I just don't want the service guys messing with the wheels.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

I've had mine go off with 32 psi, I think it's right on the borderline forone of mypressure sensors. I put 33 lbs in and it goes away. Make sure you set the pressure first thing in the morning when the tires are cold. Ifyou set them when they are hotthe pressure will drop below 32 after they cool down and the light will come on.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Does anyone know where the receiver for the TPMS is on our cars? It would be a shame if it were to have some unfortunate "accident". Sometimes I feel like a jet pilot with all the toggles they have to flip......press reset,disengage traction control, lock doors, disengage e-brake...........Can we just go already!!!??? Haha!
Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Does anyone know where the receiver for the TPMS is on our cars? It would be a shame if it were to have some unfortunate "accident". Sometimes I feel like a jet pilot with all the toggles they have to flip......press reset,disengage traction control, lock doors, disengage e-brake...........Can we just go already!!!??? Haha!
The reciever is built into the smart junction box. It just has a black wire coming out for the antenna. You might just have a bad sensor or the system lost it's training and will need to be retrained.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

No, mine works fine. I didn't transfer the sensors to my new rims. Wayyyy to much of a hassle. I'd just like to get rid of that TP Fault message for good.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerjan

I've had mine go off with 32 psi, I think it's right on the borderline forone of mypressure sensors. I put 33 lbs in and it goes away. Make sure you set the pressure first thing in the morning when the tires are cold. Ifyou set them when they are hotthe pressure will drop below 32 after they cool down and the light will come on.
There are 2 different messages that I've seen. He's getting a fault message vs the low pressure message. I have my sensors sitting in my toolbox in the garage since I put the aftermarket wheels on. When I get in the car, it says "low pressure", but after driving away I get the fault message after a while. I assume this is because they are no longer within range to read/send signals. I had tried the PVC tube trick but it didn't work, so the sensors are in the deflated tube right now, lol.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:25 AM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I think you have a bad sensor. The dealer has a tool that can sense(lol) which one is bad (if I'm not mistaken) take it to them so they can replace it.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: PROMETHEUS PRIME

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

The reciever is built into the smart junction box. It just has a black wire coming out for the antenna. You might just have a bad sensor or the system lost it's training and will need to be retrained.
The black coax wire coming out of the SJB is for the VATS coded key.
It goes to an antenna ring around the ignition switch. Not sure what the
SJB uses for a TPMS antenna. At least thats what the 07 electrical
diagrams show. Am I wrong on this. Is the electrical diagrams wrong?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor Fault?