Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealership put 5W-20 in my V6 - ROUSH PICS ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:16 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stealership put 5W-20 in my V6

No need to get angry. You will be fine. At leastthey putsynthetic in instead of regular.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

+1 owero01
Old 09-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

I would take it back and have them put in 5W-30 as specified by Ford. There is a difference between 20 and 30 viscosity (operating temp) oil.Why should you drive around with the wrong oil just because someone at the dealership made a dumbass mistake?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:08 AM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

your car will be fine. period
Old 09-29-2007, 01:54 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

If you have no life, massive amounts of time on your hands, and you feel a need to stress your mind and heart even more in an attempt to die of a heart attack at 40 years old, then take it back to the dealer and complain and get the right oil.

Otherwise be happy its not really an issue and make sure you get the right oil next time.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:01 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: hammeron

what about the mileage, was there 200 extra
miles on the clock.....

4935 on the clock
I added a pic of the service write-up
Its been in there for some 3000 miles now.
Its time for me to change it myself, anyhow.
Its been extremly hot here this year but I only
put about 8 miles or lesson it at a time. No
100 mile 85MPH freeway runs here lately.
I dont plan on chewing them out as sometimes
being semi-nice gets better results. Its the whole
point about somedealer service and some oftheir
trained professionals. And the fact I get the voice
mail when I call to ask about the problem. 2 days
and 3 voice messages with no response. Dont ya
just gotta hate caller ID. I think their system has
my phone #s logged as problem #s and to shoot
it to voice mail regardless. I have been in there lots
and its not that busy to not be able to answer a phone.
RANT

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/5EEFEB578DEA4656958C7AC3483EC9AB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-29-2007, 10:46 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I had a similar problem - used 5W - 30 in my GT - I only drive about 5 miles a day and only have 3100 miles after 1 year. Most people said no big deal. One guy Giddyupgo seems to be an expert on this and he went into details about how I needed to change it right away or the seals would blow or something... I didn't change it and it doesn't seem to be a big deal - especially since it sounds like you drive like me and in a similar climate. I will probably have it changed again in December - no big deal - and will buy the oil myself. Seems like the dealer should know better though and I would definitely raise a little hell - at least let the service manager know - just to mess with them. Could get something out of it

Good luck man!

P.S. post pics of your car with the Roush scoop please! CHEERS!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:49 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

What is really killing your engine is your driving. Driving 5 miles a day is sucking the life from the car. It won’t be getting up to proper temperature on either trip home or to work. The condensation never gets burned away so water will build up in the oil. Water and oil don’t mix obviously so that causes its own problems. This water can cause acids to build up within the oil and corrosion would begin within your engine. The oil breaks down faster and you need to change it sooner even though the mileage is less.

Startup is also when the most wear occurs. The lubrication is minimal when you first start the car. This again is improved when the engine reaches operating temperature.

The battery never gets charged either. You know its hard starting a car in the winter with a weak battery, anytime you start the car, you stress the battery pretty good, with small distances every day, its not getting proper charging.

The fuel system is also very rich so you will be using more fuel and there will be more carbon builds up on our 100,000 mile plugs. Once at operating temps, the system goes to an open loop system instead of closed and the fuel mixture will lean up.

Condensation in the muffler is also a problem and they tend to rust in short amount of times.

If you are only driving this 5 miles a day i would really suggest get a car that you don’t car about and get up earlier and drive it 10+ each way to and from.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:46 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: howarmat

What is really killing your engine is your driving. Driving 5 miles a day is sucking the life from the car. It won’t be getting up to proper temperature on either trip home or to work. The condensation never gets burned away so water will build up in the oil. Water and oil don’t mix obviously so that causes its own problems. This water can cause acids to build up within the oil and corrosion would begin within your engine. The oil breaks down faster and you need to change it sooner even though the mileage is less.

Startup is also when the most wear occurs. The lubrication is minimal when you first start the car. This again is improved when the engine reaches operating temperature.

The battery never gets charged either. You know its hard starting a car in the winter with a weak battery, anytime you start the car, you stress the battery pretty good, with small distances every day, its not getting proper charging.

The fuel system is also very rich so you will be using more fuel and there will be more carbon builds up on our 100,000 mile plugs. Once at operating temps, the system goes to an open loop system instead of closed and the fuel mixture will lean up.

Condensation in the muffler is also a problem and they tend to rust in short amount of times.

If you are only driving this 5 miles a day i would really suggest get a car that you don’t car about and get up earlier and drive it 10+ each way to and from.
I know where you are coming from. I drive 8 miles to work and rod
it hard once the DashHawk says I am up to temp and the cats are reading
right. I always allow the engine to come up to temp and go into closed loop
before leavingI think you have the open loop/closed loop backwards. Open
loop when cold and closed loop when up to operating temps and proper fuel
mixture. Mine goes into closedloop within 2 minutes of starting with 70
degree ambient temps.TheMSD DashHawkconstantly tells me what loop the
PCM is in. Then its 8 miles home for lunch, 1 hour sit time, and 8 miles
back getting on itevery chance I get. Then 8 miles back home lest a trip
for food. Hopefully its up to temp enough to clear the exhaust and oil of
condensate water. I 85MPH free-wayit once a month or so and it gets hot
enough to clear everyrthing out. Well aware of the badshort trip wear
and tear. Not killing my engine. Didnt elaborate on the total usage of
the car as I didnt see this response coming.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

not directed really to you 157, it was more a response to rogan, sorry if i was not clear on that. And i do not think the 5w20 oil will hurt you but I would switch it back to full synthetic 5w30 within a couple months

Quick Reply: Stealership put 5W-20 in my V6 - ROUSH PICS ADDED