Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TruFiber GTS2 hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:11 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New TruFiber GTS2 hood

Wow, it's funny that you posted it today. I've been looking at aftermarket hoods and decided this one was the one I wanted.

Ok, stupid, stupid questions here. I noticed the vents on the top and in front are functional. Are there any drawbacks to allowing rain water into the engine bay? Do I have to be careful when I wash the car?
Old 10-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

Wow, it's funny that you posted it today. I've been looking at aftermarket hoods and decided this one was the one I wanted.

Ok, stupid, stupid questions here. I noticed the vents on the top and in front are functional. Are there any drawbacks to allowing rain water into the engine bay? Do I have to be careful when I wash the car?
The biggest problem with rain water entering the engine bay is when the coil packs are hot and water puddles up in their holes. They crack and you drop spark to cylinders. That is why these hoods come with removable boxes that go under the vents in the engine bay. When I was the car, I wash the engine too. I also have a compressor, and use a blow gun to dry the motor and thoroughly blow any water out of the coil packs. As long as you remove that water, there is no problem.

Larmo- That will be sweet! It should look awsome. You'll love that hood!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

The biggest problem with rain water entering the engine bay is when the coil packs are hot and water puddles up in their holes. They crack and you drop spark to cylinders. That is why these hoods come with removable boxes that go under the vents in the engine bay. When I was the car, I wash the engine too. I also have a compressor, and use a blow gun to dry the motor and thoroughly blow any water out of the coil packs. As long as you remove that water, there is no problem.

Ok, I think I understand now.

Let me get this straight...You can seal off the vents if you like. That way you don't have to worry about water getting into the engine bay.

How do the "boxes" attach to the hood? How are they sealed? Is there anyway I can permanently attach them or have it done at the factory? I'm into the look, I'd much rather have them sealed and not have to worry about water getting into my engine bay.

How deep are they? If it's a box, then won't rain water pool up in there?

Please post photos of the boxes if you get a chance.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Ok, I think I understand now.

Let me get this straight...You can seal off the vents if you like. That way you don't have to worry about water getting into the engine bay.

How do the "boxes" attach to the hood? How are they sealed? Is there anyway I can permanently attach them or have it done at the factory? I'm into the look, I'd much rather have them sealed and not have to worry about water getting into my engine bay.

How deep are they? If it's a box, then won't rain water pool up in there?

Please post photos of the boxes if you get a chance.
The boxes attach with six small screws. I suppose you could permanently attach them to completely seal them off, but this hood is a heat extractor, so why would you want to? Rain water will pool up in there, but for just being in the rain, it shouldn't be too bad. I will get some pics later in the day.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:57 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yeah...i am seriously look at this hood as it does flow very nicely.....i would need to see the boxes though snce mine is a DD.....also, how is the wiper system routed and attached with this if you know by chance?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Fast Toys
Banned

Just to raise a thread from the dead, we have a Mustang Forums GP special on Trufiber hoods. The GTS1 and GTS2 hoods are on back order until December but we are taking orders at the GP pricng and hoods will ship in order once they are available. Check out the site wide posting at the top of the forums for details.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:06 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pegasusphototx

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Is that the GT500 KR hood they where test fitting about a month ago or is this a different design? I think i might get this one! How many bones this one going for?
There is still a group buy going on for the new GTS-2 hood. I have one sitting in my dining room waiting until I can save up to have it painted.

You can find more information at: http://bmcextremecustoms.com/mustang_hood_discount.html

-danny
You sure that's the right URL? That hood is for a GT500... ??
Old 11-17-2007, 12:09 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

the link is old, they have switched hoods since then
Old 11-17-2007, 12:12 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Scotte-Hello, I am sold on the hood and want to get it in the spring. I love the hoodI have now but it is not functional in any way and want a heat extractor and the softer curves on each side of the hood is great. Can you post more pics with different angles and from the inside of the car. It will help greatly to see the different angles. I also would like to know what the smaller box on the drivers side of the hood does above the CAI? Does it have a route from the front vents? Thanks in advance and great job with the car! J

Thank you all for the compliments![sm=icon_cheers.gif]I don't normally drive this car in the rain(we get hardly any in So. Cal.) since it isn't a daily driver. I have a couple of times with the other hood, and had no issues with water making it to the CAI. As far as water entering through the louvers, this hood comes with two removable fiberglass boxes that attach under the louvers and prevent water from dumping on the engine.

Larmo- Do you mean the GTS2 hood for the GT500 front fascia? Are you putting the GT500 front end on your car? That hood will be available in December.

Pegasus- I'm not big on those louvers at all![:'(]To me, they look too boxy and square for the rest of the car. I have taken off my louvers after I took these pics, and am going to leave it looking clean on the windows for now.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:24 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Car looks great as usual. Congrats on FINALLY getting it. I remember you were hoping to have it for Queen Mary show. At least youll have it for Sunday. See you there.

Quick Reply: New TruFiber GTS2 hood