Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't get it. What's so bad about our rear axles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 AM
JCD89

Default I don't get it. What's so bad about our rear axles?

Why do people criticize it so much? What's the difference? Is it meant to feel different or something? Cause it feels like any other normal vehicle I've driven :/ (axle, lol). Especially that UK show "Fifth Gear" with that Jimmy guy, man, he ragged on about it so much and then had a horse race a V6 WHILE claiming it was a GT AND it was a conv and claimed the horse beat the mustang :\.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:32 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: I don't get it. What's so bad about our rear axles?

please explain....you do realize that your v6 axle is not the same as a GT
Old 10-26-2007, 05:24 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

don't worry about it the rear end is fine
Old 10-26-2007, 05:48 AM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

I assume that you`re referring to having a "solid" rear end.
One piece NON independant axles suffer from high unsprung weight and a bump on one wheel also affects the other wheel. Because of this, mid corner bumps tend to make the car jink around in the turns. They can also suffer from wheel hop or axle tramp when breaking traction.
Some linkage arrangements are better than others for controlling and minimizing these problems.
On On the positive side they have no camber change throughout the suspensions travel length. Therefore they do not suffer from trailing throttle oversteer like some IRS setupsThey are also very strong and well suited to a vehicle that is going to be clutch dropped on a regular basis. A properly located solid axle can handle well, esp on smooth pavement.
And of course it`s popular onTop gear to deride this setup as crude,cheap, and terribly unsophisticated in the usual American way

Old 10-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Well, is logic, you don't expect that such a nice looking car with an excellent engine and power numbers to come with live axle, thats 60's tech.

We all know the reasons that got Ford to do so, economical and car use, US market and so (mostly straightliners). You should drive a IRS 'stang to feel what is to have a powerful car with proper rear suspension. EU market is different, they appreciate the handling of a car more than in the US so they review them according to their views.

BTW, the program is Top Gear, well, actually it is not the tv program, just a special dvd feature (that was plagged of mistakes like showing a V6 as a GT, etc) and the guy is Jeremy Clarkson, this is an awesome show, one of the best of worlds tv if you ask me and if you can tollerate a way too pro-british comments and british humour. Do a youtube search of the show on how they show the cars and the different sections of the program like star in a reasonally price car and special features like that time when they made a space shuttle out of very small car.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:19 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: howarmat

please explain....you do realize that your v6 axle is not the same as a GT
+1
Its all about the unsprung weight.
Remove the rear axle assembly
and weight it. Thats the downfall
if there is any.[:@]
Old 10-26-2007, 12:21 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'm happy with the solid axle, no complaints
here
Old 10-26-2007, 12:25 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Additionally, you can't tune the rear suspension geometry on a live axle wheras you have control over the full range of articulation and stance with IRS. The Live axle is, without doubt, old-school and despite Ford saying it's designed in as a nod to the Old Mustang, truth is, it's a lot cheaper than IRS, period.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

The left wheel is connected to the right wheel. The right wheel is connected to the left wheel. and on and on and on .

Some of the Euro snobs think that it's a really bad thing. They also don't drag race their cars so their IRS don't break. They also ALWAYS test Mustangs in stock form and we all know that's not really fair.

With the right parts, a live axle vehicle can handle just as well as their IRS setups. They just won't ever admit that and keep testing raw form (stock) cars against their euro crap.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:31 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Saw the show and it was a V6. I have no problems with my axle and my car corners very well. Yes, it does skip when you hit a bump in a turn. But how many of those do you hit at a high rate of speed?

Quick Reply: I don't get it. What's so bad about our rear axles?