Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

How To:Remove Fender

Old 11-07-2007, 12:41 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Default How To:Remove Fender

I need to remove my front passenger fender to hammer out some big dents. I know I have to take off the antenna mast. I see 4 bolts on the top of the fender. Then what looks like 4 rivets by the front of the fender underneath the headlight bezel. (how do I remove the rivets? I don't have a rivet gun or puller?) Then I'm assuming some more bolts under the car by the door. Does anyone have a how to for this?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need help removing fender

Rivets are removed by drilling.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:56 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Leave those rivets alone! They hold the bumper bracket.
Since the head lamp has to come off, the bumper has to almost come off on the side you're working on, so you can get to the lamp lower bolts.
Take your splash shield off and you'll see 2 nuts (11mm) where the fender and bumper meet. Take those off.
2 more at the bottom of the fender by the door, behind the rocker molding.
One at the mid section bellow the antena.
And of course, the ones under the hood. The antena disconedt from the back.

Advice : tape the edges of the door and bumper, so you don't scratch the p#ss out of those. Cheap insurance.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Ok I removed my fender and pounded out my dents, the best that I could. It looks alot better now and I can open my pass. door again. To remove the Passenger fender. First remove the plastic tire splash guards, both of them. Just turn the screws 1/4 way and pull out, about 8 of them. Their are 2 on the sideskirt, just use flathead screwdriver to pry top off then remove them. Take out 4-10mm bolts under hood, top of fender. Take one bolt off from inside of door opening to fender in center of fender. three 10mm nuts off of fender to bumper bracket. (dont take out rivets) Then just push down on bumper by fender to get 1-10mm bolt underneath bumper cover. (note: I did not have to remove my bumper or headlight, so don't waste your time removing those unless you want too) Then pry sideskirt down..or off. Take out 2-10mm bolts hiden under sideskirt...you just removed. Now for the antenna, just use pliers and pull on it, near the metal part where it bends. It will come out. unfortunatly for me, I took my entire ant. base off, damaging the sh#t out of it. So now I have to buy a new one of those. Now the fender should be free to remove. Heres some pics.

If you are doing the driver side fender it is the same procedure, you just don't have to worry about the antenna. Also if you need to remove the gt emblems just use floss or fishing string to saw off the adhesive. It has 2 small prongs in the center of the emblem, so don't break those.
Fender after accident

Fender fixed with hammer, only slightly dented still

Old 11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Here are the 4-10mm bolts on the top of the fender under the hood.

Take 1-10mm nut out using extensions on your socket wrench. Go thru the door crack from inside of car. Its in the center above the door wiring harness.

Then take out the 3-10mm nuts holding the bumper bracket to the fender. Then push down on bumper to get to the 1-10mm bolt hidden behind bumper.

Then push the sideskirt down or remove it.It just has push pins holding it on. Take out 2-10mm bolts. Then finally use pliers to remove the antenna orange plug from the ant. base. Now remove fender. Either fix the dents or replace with a new one if you have one, or add a aftermarket one. Reinstall is opposite of install.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

:bump:

Good writeup.

Is it possible to swap the antenna base onto a new fender? I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove this.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:28 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Jasoon
:bump:

Good writeup.

Is it possible to swap the antenna base onto a new fender? I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove this.
Pop the black plastic trim cover off of the top side and attack it from there.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM
JamesVanAwesome

Luckydawg03, the pictures you posted of this are no longer available. Any chance you could repost them or send them to me? Thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:31 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesVanAwesome
Luckydawg03, the pictures you posted of this are no longer available. Any chance you could repost them or send them to me? Thanks!
Sometimes what's dead should stay dead.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Flashback to the past...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To:Remove Fender