Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this be hard to paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:14 AM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Default Would this be hard to paint?

While it would be in my best interest to just save my money for a new and more powerful pony, I still find myself searching Craigslist every night. I love the look of GT fog lights and is my major gripe about why I don't like the look of the front of my v6. So I search constantly for a GT front conversion as well as a new rear bumper as mine has a pretty deep scratch that I don't believe is repairable.

I got to thinking that instead of doing a GT front conversion just for fog lights, why not just try to find a nice grille replacement? This lead me to one from AM that I had seen previously here.

While I like the idea, I hate the idea of it still being chrome as I have black as my secondary color. So I figure I will be painting my calipers red and my wheels black soon anyway, and wondered how hard this would be to paint a flat black. I don't have much experience with painting myself yet, and I would be weary to paint being able to stick. It has very thin bars and the reviews say it is made of plastic, so I hate the idea of snapping something while I attempt to sand it.

The other thing I dislike about it is that it doesn't come with the option to add a Mustang emblem. I proudly have one tattooed on my chest, so the thought of not having one on the car saddens me. I guess I could buy a smaller vintage emblem and attach it with zip-ties or something, but the thinness of the bars would make me worry about it either sliding or getting snapped off as I've said before.

I really would appreciate any advice at all that can be given. And with it being 2am here, this probably isn't the most coherent thing I have every written, so I apologize if it seems like I am just rambling.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 AM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

Well that grill has the horizontal bars instead of the honeycomb. American muscle offers the tri-bar pony emblem(which IMHO is the far superior mustang emblem) in a kit for the horizontal grill. If you go to newtakeoff.com they have gt takeoff bumpers for indecent price. Or surf the classifieds here for a good deal. I just bought a GT front end WITH foglight grill(OEM) for $195 shipped to my locale. That's not a typical price but you can get lucky.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I saw a V6 with the GT style fog light grille... idk it still didn't look quite as good as a GT bumper with grille.
If the GT bumper is what you want keep looking for a good deal, you can find them.
Otherwise you may end up switching bumpers eventually anyway, and basically throwing away the money you spend on the V6 grille.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lunyou
I just bought a GT front end WITH foglight grill(OEM) for $195 shipped to my locale. That's not a typical price but you can get lucky.
Wow, that's very impressive. I can't find anything even near that. Did you find it in a classified or was it from a dealership or online?

Also, I am very familiar with Newtakeoff.com. That's what originally made me want to do this so badly. However, it seems as if Torch Red isn't as common as I thought. And the even bigger problem is that the shipping is nearly as much as the bumper itself for me.

Last edited by MustangMan1718; 06-05-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 AM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
I saw a V6 with the GT style fog light grille... idk it still didn't look quite as good as a GT bumper with grille.
If the GT bumper is what you want keep looking for a good deal, you can find them.
Otherwise you may end up switching bumpers eventually anyway, and basically throwing away the money you spend on the V6 grille.
I do agree that the GT bumper is more attractive (especially with the CDC classic chin spoiler) but I think I might be happy enough to keep the stock v6 one if I just had the fog lights themselves.

And now that it is the morning and I am no-longer sleep-deprived I now have the ability to do math once again. With this new-found special power I have also realized the the GT bumper shipped from Newtakeoff.com is only $100 more, which really isn't too bad.

This however excludes the additional things I would need for the swap such as the fender liners and bumper foam. I have read much about this swap since I started browsing the forum in January but I still don't feel as if I know all of what is needed to complete it. This price also doesn't include the GT grille, fog lights, wiring harness, or switch either. So the price also has a "hidden cost" behind it which is never good for a college student's pool of wealth.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

I have a gt spoiler for sale (silver) and the front gt grill. Hope that helps you on getting where you want to be. Where in OH are you?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Why not go for the V6 Pony Package grille? That's a nice look.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:10 PM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless06
I have a gt spoiler for sale (silver) and the front gt grill. Hope that helps you on getting where you want to be. Where in OH are you?
Hrm, interesting. And I'm in Streetsboro which has 480 and 80 not very far from my house. I drove to Austintown a few times last year to work and it was about a 50 minute drive. And according to a partner from a class I had last semester that lives in Boardman, its only about ten minutes further away.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:16 PM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Premi
Why not go for the V6 Pony Package grille? That's a nice look.
I've personally never liked the look of the Pony Package. My dad has a '69 Mach 1, so I've grown up loving the large fog lights near the headlights ever since I was a kid. It wouldn't be as bad if it didn't have the bar running through it though. I do appreciate the suggestion though. I welcome other options that I didn't think of.

Last edited by MustangMan1718; 06-05-2011 at 05:20 PM.