Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock H-pipe and exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:54 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Stock H-pipe and exhaust?

Its an SC not a turbo.. how much time different will it take to bring of the rpm.. hell its ok 6K to red line [sm=happy046.gif]
Old 03-08-2005, 07:59 PM
HubbaHubba

Why do people switch to a X pipe to begine with? You dont gain much power if any and you lose the loudness....unless it is off-road.
It has been proven in many tests that the X pipe out performs an H pipe, the design actually facillitates scavenging, how much in a given application is open for argument and could be metered via a chassis dyno. It does change the exhaust tone or note, but hey I would rather be fast then loud. people looking to get the most out of their ride will spring for this mod, however with any performance mod HP per dollar should always be considered.

The Vortech engine is a good deal, I will give you that, but I want twin screw for the low band RPM hp gains that stay consistent throughout the RPM band. The centrifugals have a lag time before full boost, which is not what I want even if the top end has a higher hp. My car is going to be the daily driver, which will require a more livable output, which I believe (from discussions here) that the Whipple SC will provide.
You are right the roots or whipple style in this case will make buku torque from just off idle, where the centrifugal style does have some lag. IMHO a centrifugal blower is a better choice in a somewhat mild street application (under 500HP) because the lag helps in the traction department and they operate cooler then a roots/whipple style. The whipple style does operate cooler then a standard roots but still creates more heat then a vortech. the whipple in other words will probably strike the tires harder then the vortech on the launch, where on the street traction is an issue for even a normally aspirated car. I would hate to have my blown stang lose a "stop light to stop light" duel against a subaru because it blew the tires off on the launch. one other thing the whipple is probably three times as heavy as the vortech, that's added weight in the wrong area. just some food for thought.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:43 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Thanks HubbaHubba .. I was going to say all that too [sm=laughat.gif]
Old 03-08-2005, 09:58 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

For me, I want the off the line torque. Plus......uh......birdieman told me to do it.... uh .....blame him.

Actually, based on the feedback that I gave him, he suggested the Whipple and I have spoken with a number of different vendors, Vortech and ProCharger and Kenne Bell and such, to discuss the benefits of one versus another and feel that the Whipple is the way to go. Since I have not purchased the system yet, I guess there is time to do my research, but I do feel comfortable with where I am at presently. I am meeting with JBA racing in the coming weeks to discuss in person this very issue as we have had many conversations via e-mail and they recommended Whipple quite highly.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:10 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

besides... with the vortech we can add in the intercooler later right? for a small fee
Old 03-09-2005, 12:46 PM
HubbaHubba

For me, I want the off the line torque. Plus......uh......birdieman told me to do it.... uh .....blame him.

Actually, based on the feedback that I gave him, he suggested the Whipple and I have spoken with a number of different vendors, Vortech and ProCharger and Kenne Bell and such, to discuss the benefits of one versus another and feel that the Whipple is the way to go. Since I have not purchased the system yet, I guess there is time to do my research, but I do feel comfortable with where I am at presently. I am meeting with JBA racing in the coming weeks to discuss in person this very issue as we have had many conversations via e-mail and they recommended Whipple quite highly.

Thanks for the feedback.
The whipple is definetly a nice piece, just the pros and cons and HP/per dollar factors to consider. I don't think you would be disappointed with either. Are you getting it through JBA? Have you talked to Total Performance? Just out of curiosity what did they say the advantages to the whipple were over the centrifugal? I know, what is this 20 questions?
Good luck with which ever route you go![sm=burnout.gif]
Old 03-10-2005, 01:32 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

I am not sure where I am getting the Whipple yet as I want the best price on it. I have spoken with Total Performance and JBA racing and JBA says that they can do the installs and they are alot closer to me. The advantages are the immediate boost and throughout the rpm versus the higher-end hp.