Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UDP and TBS Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:17 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Default UDP and TBS Installed

I finally got around to installing the under drive pulleys and throttle body spacer. It doesn't take long as long as you have all the right tools. Someone posted that you can get the harmonic balancerbolt out with a 5 inch impact wrench. Wrong, I went through 2 of them. After a few hours of that, I finally took a persuader and put it on my 1/2 inch drive and it came loose in 2 seconds. Then the fun part of findinng the right balancer puller. My buddy has a 6 inch claw puller but it was way too big. It would have been alright if I took out the radiator but I figured why do that. I went to the parts store and bought a 4 1/2 inch claw puller since there was only about 5 inches between the bolt and the fan. After about an hour wrestling trying to get all three claws on the balancer and staying there I decided to use a rubber band around them to hold them in place. That worked like a charm and the balancer was off in minutes. I put the new one on and while I had the CAI off already, I decided to put on the throttle body spacer which only took a few minutes.

I put everything back together, started it up to make sure everything was kosher then her for a run. Holy crap what a difference!!!!! This really brought out the beast in that motor. This morning I took it up a hill that I usually hit 80 to the safe point of the road. Today she hit 90, even then I had to take my foot out of it.

This is a great bang for the buck. Later after I get the headers put on, I am going to get it dyno tuned and see what it has. Before this I had 279 RWHP and 292 RWTQ. I am hoping this combination will get me close to 300RWHP and I am runing 91 octane.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: UDP and TBS Installed

Good write up and nice car.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:47 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Sweet!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:13 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

Glad to hear you got positive results from 2 mods that some say aren't worth the money. I plan on doing the UDP mod and have seen the throttle body spacer on e-bay for cheap. I guess every little bolt-on adds up in the end. Glad to hear you happy with the results.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:33 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I want to see dyno proof that a TBS add horsepower before I buy one. I'm getting my UDP installed on Thursday. I too had a problem removing the crank bolt.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

UDPs = 8-10 hp
TBS's = 0-0 hp
Old 11-27-2007, 06:35 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Have you tried it or are you telling us what someone told you? Not trying to be a ***** just asking
Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

UDPs = 8-10 hp
TBS's = 0-0 hp
+ a couple hundred....TBS do nothing, all gains you see are from the UDP.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:47 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

TBS's = 0-0 hp
I didn't want to be the one to say it. Yea, until I see proof suggesting other wise, TBS add 0hp. But I hear they have an annoying whistling noise.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Assuming you're going to the same dyno and it will be at the exact same temperature, I'm guessing you'll pull 288whp.

You don't have to be an engineer to understand how a TBS in a fuel injected car cannot add hp. Putting a spacer in the intake path prior to the mixing of air and fuel is worthless. The TBS sellers will tell you they spin the air, and if you believe that adds hp, just buya Turbonator and save a few dollars. They also say, that because they are slightly smaller than the TB they speed up the air. OK, so to follow the logic, adding a small restriction in the intake will add hp. If that's the case just get rid of your CAI, since is less restrictive than the stocker. Increasing the volume of air adds hp, not the speed.

When carburator equipped cars were popular, the TBS had some merit since it effectively lengthened theintake path after the fuel spray. This allowed a more thorough and even mixing of the air and fuel. Locating a TBSwhere it sits on our cars is just nonsense.

Quick Reply: UDP and TBS Installed