Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 MYCOLOR PATENT LAWSUIT SETTLED

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Lubricant
1st Gear Member

Default 05 MYCOLOR PATENT LAWSUIT SETTLED

Well, Ford settled and all is well again in ponyville...
See article here!

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2005/3/emw216752.htm

Or read below..

Ford Takes Licence for Instrument Panel Patent for Ford Mustang
The patent infringement lawsuit against Ford's 2005 Mustang has ended with Ford taking a license to U.S. Patent No. 5,975,728 for "Method and Apparatus for Providing User Selectable Multi-Color Automobile Instrument Panel Illumination."

Beverly Hills, CA (PRWEB) March 10, 2005 -- Inventor/Attorney Frank Weyer announced today that his patent infringement lawsuit against Ford's 2005 Ford Mustang has settled, with Ford taking a license to Mr. Weyer's patent allowing Ford to use the patented invention in the Mustang. Mr. Weyer filed the patent infringement lawsuit against Ford on October 19, 2004, contending that the "MyColor (TM)" option in the 2005 Ford Mustang that allows the driver to change the color of the instrument panel lighting infringed his U.S. Patent No. No. 5,975,728 for "Method and Apparatus for Providing User Selectable Multi-Color Automobile Instrument Panel Illumination" Mr. Weyer filed the patent application in November 1997, and the patent issued in November 1999. In December 1999, Mr. Weyer had sent a copy of the patent to Ford, but received no response.

The settlement was reached at a meeting in Detroit between Mr. Weyer and Ford's in-house and outside patent counsel. The terms of the settlement are confidential, but Mr. Weyer said that he was impressed with the professionalism and integrity of Ford's attorneys. "In both my representation of myself and in my representation of other inventors, I have dealt with large companies who believe might makes right and who believe that they can simply ignore the intellectual property rights of small companies and individuals. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Ford has a corporate policy of respecting third party's valid patent and other intellectual property rights."

The settlement means that Ford is free to sell and deliver 2005 Ford Mustangs with the popular "Interior Upgrade Package" (or "IUP") that includes the "MyColor (TM)" instrument panel lighting system. Mr. Weyer, who owns a classic 1969 Mustang, said the settlement is a win/win for Ford and its customers. "I have received e-mails from many Mustang enthusiasts who were concerned that my lawsuit would delay delivery of their 2005 Mustangs. Some even asked whether I would grant them individual patent licenses so that they could receive their car. I am happy to tell them that the matter has been resolved, and Ford is free to deliver Mustangs with the "MyColor (TM)" system.

Mr. Weyer is happy to see the popularity of his invention, and hopes that it will spread to other models besides the Ford Mustang. "The popularity of the "MyColor (TM)" option in the Ford Mustang shows that this is a feature that drivers like and want. I expect that other car manufacturers will want to offer a similar option as well. If they do, I think they will find, as Ford did, that I am willing to grant patent licenses on very reasonable terms."

###

Old 03-10-2005, 08:08 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MYCOLOR PATENT

In other words he got a sheet load of money!!.. I didnt get the option.. would it be hard to put it in? how much was it to get anyway?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Lubricant
1st Gear Member

With the premium gt, its between 4-500.00 depending on the day of the week.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Do you think they can add it on later? I'm wondering if there is a ghetto way to adjust it withouth buying the package.. the guages are the same as the IUP.. hummmm...

ORIGINAL: Lubricant

With the premium gt, its between 4-500.00 depending on the day of the week.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 05 MYCOLOR PATENT LAWSUIT SETTLED

Finally put it to rest !!

Thanks for the update, and for keeping an eye on it for all us !!
Old 03-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

A Lt. at work told me they are going to discontinue this because of an accident that occurred saying he couldn't see how fast he was going. This sounds obsurd but thought I throw it in there anyway.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Lubricant
1st Gear Member

You can purchase the IUP dash board and additonal assembly (for the mycolor toys) and just need your computer flashed (I BELIVE) for the addl gauges.. All the wiring is in-place allready (I HEARD)...
All hear say, but..... sounds logical.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:52 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

A Lt. at work told me they are going to discontinue this because of an accident that occurred saying he couldn't see how fast he was going. This sounds obsurd but thought I throw it in there anyway.
That's complete BULL! There's no way of adjusting the display dark enough that you can't see it. I have mine adjusted down to "black," and I can still see everything. It's not actually black, but more like a charcoal gray and the needles are all still bright red. A very nice contrast, I think. I tried red for a while since my car and interior are red, but the red looks more pink than anything.

Indigo and blue look good, as well. Green is overwhelming and boring since all the other dash lights are green. Seems a bit too vintage to me.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Lubricant
1st Gear Member

The mycolor option is so hot that my wife started sucking on the stickshift of the car when she saw it..
DAMNIT!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:53 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

does this change the color of the radio and the other lights in the car or only the guages?

Quick Reply: 05 MYCOLOR PATENT LAWSUIT SETTLED