Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst vs. MGW vs. stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst vs. MGW vs. stock

I've been using Hurst Shifters for years, always liked them. I think you can see one of them in this Corvette I was restoring a few years back. Dollar for dollar and pound for pound, I think it's a Great buy.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:28 AM
danGT06
3rd Gear Member

I have the hurst and I powershift all the time at the track and haven't missed a gear yet. *knock on wood* The hurst just snaps into second and its literally impossible to miss third when powershifting with it. Thats just my personal experience with the hurst I haven't used any other aftermarket shifter.
ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

ORIGINAL: acstone7

ORIGINAL: Juban

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess more or less what I should have asked is "does the Hurst perform well enough to justify the savings from the MGW or Pro shifters?" I know you often get what you pay for, so i'm not expecting to pay $100+ less on something and get the quality/ performance of the more expensive item.

Thanks again for the input.
I believe this all comes down to if you are wanting to powershift or not. If you do want to powershift, I reccomend staying away from the hurst and getting the MGW, solved my problem. If powershifting isnt an issue then I would go hurst, i loved the look and feel of it, just couldnt get over how it wouldnt PS for the life of me.
Hurst seems to powershift fine for me. Grip it and rip it!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Hurst -- love it
Old 12-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danGT06

I have the hurst and I powershift all the time at the track and haven't missed a gear yet. *knock on wood* The hurst just snaps into second and its literally impossible to miss third when powershifting with it. Thats just my personal experience with the hurst I haven't used any other aftermarket shifter.
ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

ORIGINAL: acstone7

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess more or less what I should have asked is "does the Hurst perform well enough to justify the savings from the MGW or Pro shifters?" I know you often get what you pay for, so i'm not expecting to pay $100+ less on something and get the quality/ performance of the more expensive item.

I believe this all comes down to if you are wanting to powershift or not. If you do want to powershift, I reccomend staying away from the hurst and getting the MGW, solved my problem. If powershifting isnt an issue then I would go hurst, i loved the look and feel of it, just couldnt get over how it wouldnt PS for the life of me.
Hurst seems to powershift fine for me. Grip it and rip it!
+1 definatly love my hurst

Question though how do you powershift? Basically its just keepin the gas on the floor, no clutch, and shift through the resistance? Isnt that bad for your clutch?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 AM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

When you say perfroms better, bare in mind that maydepend on how the car is being used.

I have a Hurst, andI love the looks, and the shifting action is fine for now. For a street car, the Hurst may be just fine for you;however, for more of a racing application, I would personally give the MGW a nod over the Hurst.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

all depends on what feel you like? personally i like the hurst
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Its all cost to benefit my friends. I would say Hurst.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I'll make it 9 in a row. Hurst.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Juban
1st Gear Member

lots of great info to keep in mind. I'll eventually post back up with what i decide (may get one sooner than than later, dunno)

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:52 AM
rubah_dmb

just got my Comp. Plus...absolutely LOVE it!!!! Smooth shifts are for sissies!!!

Quick Reply: Hurst vs. MGW vs. stock