Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Problem w/ my new 05 GT - NEED YOUR OPINION

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Suzanne

Default Potential Problem w/ my new 05 GT - NEED YOUR OPINION

Hi,

I'm a new member and a new mom to a beautiful 2005 GT. I've had 'her' for less than a week and last Monday night I encountered what I think is a problem with either one of her valves or the valve lifters.

When I pulled into the driveway, I turned off engine so I could pull my other car out of the garage and park it elsewhere. When I got back into the GT and turned on the engine, this weird tapping noise started and was coming from the engine compartment. I've had the car a few days by then and had about 80 miles on it.

I took it to the dealer the following morning and left it there (they're scheduled to install lojack on Friday and I was going out of town on bus.). When I turned the engine on that morning it sounded normal. I stopped at the bank and when I turned it on again, it also sounded normal again. But, when I got it to the dealer and had the service person turn the engine on, the tapping started.

This seems to kick in if the engine has been turned on and off more than twice within a short time frame. In this particular case, about 15 min.

The technician said that the 'noise' was my fuel injectors and that it was normal. I think it sounds terrible and I don't buy it. I've driven other V8s before and that noise is indicative of something wrong, at least from my experience. Granted, I'm not a mechanic and understand that not all V8s are the same; however, it still doesn't sound right to me. I also admit that I didn't let the engine run long enough to see if it stopped.

I called the service person when I got back into town this evening and told her that I want to talk to the technician and the service manager when I p/u the car tomorrow.

Any opinions about the noise or what I should do?

Suzanne
Old 03-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Scottsat
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Potential Problem w/ my new 05 GT - NEED YOUR OPINION

I know you should hear a little more noise from the lifters while at idle due to the fact the intake manifold is some sort of plastic ( the old 5.0's had an aluminum intake that obsorbed a lot of noise from the valve train). But the symptoms on and off again sounds like a problem. On my old BMW I hear the injectors but that is on 22 year old technology.

I would get a second opinion from a different dealer if possible.

I went to three different dealerships when the noise from the GT's A/C Clutch was loud, "Click Click" when it cycled on then off. And they confirmed that is normal. We even started a few Mustang GT's to verify.

Good Luck and this forum is very good at helping you,

later,

[IMG]local://upfiles/13237/BB8F6DE92E7C4A8CBE479A63C4D13431.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I thought I was hearing a clicking from my car when I first start it up each morning. I have 1100 miles now, and will watch it closer. I had an older car that had a hydralic lifter that would colapse (bleed down) and peck at start-up until it pumped back up. Truefully, I don't even know if the 05 has this type of lifter anymore ??

If you get additional dealership info. please share it with us !!

[sm=gears.gif]
Old 03-11-2005, 01:10 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Alright, I think people need to learn how the 05 engine operates. IT uses hydraulically operated variable cam timing which can be a little noisy, ESPECIALLY after an oil change. They clatter like crazy until oil pressure is there. I hear fuel injectors on new cars a lot more distinctly than on old ones. The fuel injector hasen't really changed since it came out, it's a simple solenoid, that's it.

Suzanne, my guess is that when you "short trip", per say, the engine stops at a certain point during shutdown, while cranking the PCM needs to see the appropiate signals from certain sensors so it can calulate how much ignition and cam timing. Also since the engine was just shutdown and such, it could be that he hydraulically controlled cam mechanism not getting oil pressure soon enough during initial start up.

I've also noticed that the new 5V 4.6 and 5.4s have a little bit more engine noise than the older 4.6 and 5.4s
Old 03-11-2005, 01:13 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86HOGT

Alright, I think people need to learn how the 05 engine operates. IT uses hydraulically operated variable cam timing which can be a little noisy, ESPECIALLY after an oil change. They clatter like crazy until oil pressure is there. I hear fuel injectors on new cars a lot more distinctly than on old ones. The fuel injector hasen't really changed since it came out, it's a simple solenoid, that's it.

Suzanne, my guess is that when you "short trip", per say, the engine stops at a certain point during shutdown, while cranking the PCM needs to see the appropiate signals from certain sensors so it can calulate how much ignition and cam timing. Also since the engine was just shutdown and such, it could be that he hydraulically controlled cam mechanism not getting oil pressure soon enough during initial start up.

I've also noticed that the new 5V 4.6 and 5.4s have a little bit more engine noise than the older 4.6 and 5.4s
Thanks for the info, aren't they 3V <- if your refering to number of valves per cylinder ??
Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

oops, yeah...my negative...had 05 on the brain
Old 03-11-2005, 01:26 AM
Scottsat
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the information, I will make a point of "listening" while under the hood of the GT. (I seem to learn more and more everyday from this forum) I do spend more time under the hood of the 733i than my 2005 GT.

And that is a good thing....

later and thanks again for the info,

[IMG]local://upfiles/13237/2C6368F562824D59A000BA604D7CDCB7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

FEW!! thank god there is another tech in these forums... I thought i was gonna have to type out a 3 page story about OVER HEAD CAM ENGINES!!!!

They dont have lifters, they dont have rockers, push rods. There is a cam on top, 3 valves, and some timing chains. The noise is the new 3 valve engine. And like 86HO said. You need oil pressure when you start these engines, and it takes a second or 2 or 3 for the pressure to build. Next time they do an oil service on youre stang, see if you can listen to it before he/she starts it. You'll scream at him to shut it off. Its a really bad noise that when the F-150 came out with the 5.4 3 V i almost had to stop it and check to make sure i put oil in it. Its pretty horrible. But when they catch oil pressure everything is ok. The new 3V's do have different injectors. They are different from the ones in the 4.6/5.4 2V. Are a bit noisier also. Just the same with the different spark plugs. Now they are 9/16 socket to remove them and they are about 4 inchs in lenght... lol. thats right. So, if youre REALLY scared about this noise, have them line up youre Mustang and another 3V ( make sure its a 05, not a 04 or eailer) and listen to them together.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Casper98GT

FEW!! thank god there is another tech in these forums... I thought i was gonna have to type out a 3 page story about OVER HEAD CAM ENGINES!!!!

They dont have lifters, they dont have rockers, push rods. There is a cam on top, 3 valves, and some timing chains. The noise is the new 3 valve engine. And like 86HO said. You need oil pressure when you start these engines, and it takes a second or 2 or 3 for the pressure to build. Next time they do an oil service on youre stang, see if you can listen to it before he/she starts it. You'll scream at him to shut it off. Its a really bad noise that when the F-150 came out with the 5.4 3 V i almost had to stop it and check to make sure i put oil in it. Its pretty horrible. But when they catch oil pressure everything is ok. The new 3V's do have different injectors. They are different from the ones in the 4.6/5.4 2V. Are a bit noisier also. Just the same with the different spark plugs. Now they are 9/16 socket to remove them and they are about 4 inchs in lenght... lol. thats right. So, if youre REALLY scared about this noise, have them line up youre Mustang and another 3V ( make sure its a 05, not a 04 or eailer) and listen to them together.

Even this Newbie, should have known that !! To many years humping the 440 CuIn Plymouth. I guess that's one of the reasons we get the 6K rpm, redline.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Yup. You think the 6k redline is nice, try driving a Dual Overhead cam engine, weather its a 4.6 DOHC in the Cobra/Mach 1, or its a VTEC engine in a Honda. Its fun. Well.... the power/torque will be different, but still. You understand what im getting at

Quick Reply: Potential Problem w/ my new 05 GT - NEED YOUR OPINION