Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increase MPG with a CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
curtishd
1st Gear Member

Default Increase MPG with a CAI?

I know that the "increase mpg" has been discussed but I want to know if I put on a CAI will that increase my MPG if not what do you all do to increase your MPG? What are you all getting right now?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Increase MPG with a CAI?

I'd say no but it will get debated. If you put the ability to have more air going into an engine, then you need more full to balance it out. Otherwise, you will run lean. But, you will make more HP, so theoretically, if you have more power, it MAY take less fuel to go from point A to point B all things being equal. Then, you have the so called CAI's that are glorified hot air breathers in that they are NOT ducted to the outside and they just suck hot air. Those HURT EVERYTHING. So, the answer is........NO and YES.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:07 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Well I can talk from first hand experience.

With the B ama 87 perf tune I see between 1-2mpg more than the car was stock driving as close to possible the same roads, ie work and back, 60% highway 40% city.

With the B ama 93 Race to I get the same gas mileage as stock.

With the Bama 93 Torque tune I get a little less than stock. I think I can explain this one, because I think this tune opens the throttle early to give you a feel of more low end so coming off a stop you use more fuel than normal. Multiply that by how many time I have to stop and you get worse MPG.

As far as why the 87 tune is more I would say it is because of the revised fuel tables, leaning the mixture makes more power so thhe fuel tables are different and if takes less throttle to make the same power as before so therefore less rpm and less fuel. Biggest gain would be on the highway using this theory, which has played out for me.

In order to save more gas I would suggest a CAI, 87 octane tune, UDP, and aluminum driveshaft, BMR sway bar delete/rad support, and removal of the spare.

The CAI and tune are described above and everything else reduces parasitic loss and/or removes weight all of which will help MPG.

Or you could just shift sooner and accelerate slower and keep to the speed limit. Cheaper and works just as good.

But it is funner to Mod so to each his own.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

It always amazes me when someones says they get 1 mpg better with something. I mean, is that really measureable? Ambient air temp changes from 1 day to the next, foot is a little heavier, got a different brand of fuel etc.... When someone makes a claim like that, I have to ask if the conditions were controlled or not and what were the variables.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

I lost approx 2 mpg (and my estimated fuel usage is off by a greater margine) but much of that could be attributed to the very cold weather.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:35 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Ok, I've read many many posts about MPG's. Here's the conclusion I've come to.

Forget about it. Pay for whatever gas it takes to drive your car, and just drive it. If you need more money, drive it less.

I say this because the MPG's vary so much among different driving conditions and drivers. From the things I've heard, if you're driving a mixture of city and highway, you should get about 18mpg unless you're really punching it all the time. Forget about mods affecting your MPG's.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:18 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Yes, I saw an increase in mpg driving at the same rate of speed. You will see it better in your highway driving.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 PM
marlon1
2nd Gear Member

agree with you. once i put the mods on can't help but keep the foot in the
gas, just drive it man!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I lost about 2 mpg on my V8 with a Granatelli CAI. I didn't do a tune. Maybe that would help but I'm not going to spend a bunch of money for a tune.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Original Topic:
CAI itself wont add fuel mileage. Any reduced pumping losses have to be offset by closing the throttle
more. Otherwise the car goes faster.

Off Topic:
Bama Torque has more fuel in the midrange which allows more timing at the expense of fuel mileage.
Driver Demand Tables are the same as the Performance.

Quick Reply: Increase MPG with a CAI?