Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Scoops

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Flyin_Low

Default Side Scoops

Has anyone installed the factoryside scoops and are they available already painted from Ford?
If so how hard was the install?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Side Scoops

you have to get them painted and installed yourself. i was looking into getting these but they are really expensive from teh stealerships. from what i know, drillin is required. check out partscheap.com. i know they have the oem side scoops for sale there
Old 12-12-2007, 09:22 AM
BadS197
Banned

It's much cheaper to go with aftermarket painted side scoops and you don't have to worry about drilling since they attach with double sided tape.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Not sure about the install, but they do look good!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Ditto on the aftermarket and the 3M tape. I have a set prepainted from hubcapsplus.com and they've survived over 7000 miles and are solid as a rock. The paint was a perfect match, too, so consider aftermarket. With the tape, it's all in the surface preperation and application temperature that will determine how well they stay in place.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:57 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

what would be the best conditions to install them then? I'm going to be doing some body work in march and want to make sure my scoops don't go flying off on the highway
Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 AM
BadS197
Banned

One of the best aspects of the aftermarket side scoops is the easy installation. If it's the first time you're installing a part via 3M double-sided tape here are a few pointers to keep in mind which wil ensure an easy and solid installation:
[ul][*]Surface temperature for application should be no lower than 60 degrees, and no higher than 85 degrees. If climate will not permit, install your part(s) inside a garage and use a hair dryer to warm the surface.
[*]The area to receive the tape should first be thoroughly cleaned with a liquid detergent and warm water solution. Then rinsed with clean water and allowed to dry completely.
[*]A final wipe with 100% rubbing alcohol is highly recommended for best results (use a clean lint free cloth). Ensure the surface is completely dry and residue free before proceeding.
[*]A felt tip pen or pencil should be used to put down some reference points to help line up your part(s) during application prior to attaching. Remove the tape backing, being very careful not to contact the adhesive. Line up the outer edges of your part(s) with your reference points.
[*]Press carefully into place and apply heavy even pressure to the outer tape areas to ensure a proper bond is achieved. Be careful not to push too hard as to avoid flexing of the plastic.
[*]Tape bond will take 24 hours to cure. Do not drive vehicle during this period! [/ul]
If you follow those guidelines you should have no problems with either installing your scoops or with them remaining on your Mustang.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Best conditions are warm weather or a warm garage. You will need 3M automotive double sided tape, and i STRONGLY recommend 3M adhesion promoter as well. This makes a much stronger bond to the car.

Clean thescoops very well the night before. Clean them with pure rubbing alcohol (make sure it's the purest you can find)

Rub on the adhesion promoter and wait a few minutes

Peel one side of the 3M tape off and apply it to the scoop. Leave the other side of the tape on

The next day, place the scoop on the car without peeling the tape backing. Place it in the correct place on the car and mark its position with some masking tape

Clean the car in the same manner you cleaned the scoops

Apply adhesion promoter to the car and wait a few minutes

Peel the backing from the tape on the scoop

Carefully place the scoop on the car, applying even pressure for a minute or so

Old 12-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

DO NOT use 70% alcohol or even 90%. The other ingredients in them are enough to contaminate the surface and prevent the best possible adhesion. Since I couldn't find 100% alcohol, I purchased a solvent at a local auto parts store specifically designed to strip the wax and oils off the surface without damaging the paint. Worked like a charm on the side scoops plus I used it on the quarter side window glass when I installed my louvers. Ditto on the temperatures and other "stuff" mentioned above except the addition of allowing everything to cure for 24 hours afterinstallation of the scoopsbefore driving.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Flyin_Low

Thanks for the replys. Do the aftermarket scoops look identical to the Fordscoops, and can you see the tape after the scoops are applied? any closeup pics?
Thanks again

Quick Reply: Side Scoops