Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leather vs cloth

Old 03-15-2005, 02:01 PM
MongrelMan
1st Gear Member

Default RE: leather vs cloth

get the leather.... leather always looks better.

Plus.. the cloth for the 'stang has this gawd awful design happening
Old 03-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: nanaki

i hate cloth. i made it a point not to get my GT in cloth. i could have actually gotten a car with the 40th ann package with leather interior for like $500 cheaper than mine. i can't stand leather though. it's just so uncomfortable to me. that and the fact it's freezing in the winter and burning in the summer. [:@]
Umm..so what kind of seating material did you get?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Depends, where do you live? In Phoenix where I'm at, I wouldn't order leather because i'll either be burning myself [sm=badbadbad.gif] during the summer or slip n' sliddin' around corners as my legs sweat [sm=roll.gif]

Cloth tends to pick up wear spots as time goes on though...so, the choice is yours.
ORIGINAL: Jtiblier

I found a dealer who will let me order my GT with no deposit and no obligation
I want the opinon of the group, leather or cloth, feel free to let me know anything. Even old stories
Old 03-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Neither really is better than the other.

I have cloth seats in my Honda for daily driving and they show a lot of dirt because they are a light color. Cloth will eventually wear at the seams.

My mustang has leather seats and this is my first fall/winter with the mustang. Let me tell you, whenever it is below 40 degrees, my fanny stings from the sitting on the leather be cause it is so cold -- even wearing jeans.

I am sure I am going to get burned from the heat in the summer as well or I am going to sweat on them.

I lose either way. So I plan on either sitting on a towel or sheep skin covers for the front.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Silent Bob
1st Gear Member

LOL, leather on a Road course = slip and slide. I'll order cloth, since they will be replaced with Sparco's anyway.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:24 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Being on a limited budget I opted for cloth for several reasons.
1) It's a performance car. I dont want to slide around on the seat. You stay put in the cloth seats.
2) Leather is hot in summer, I don't plan to use the AC much. I prefer to drive with the windows open in warm weather. I'd get the car without AC if I could.
3) I decided to use the money I would have paid for leather seats and get a Diablo Predator and a G-tech performance meter instead.
4) In some cases I have seen leather deteriorate badly when it gets old.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Mustang Novice
1st Gear Member

It's a performance car. I dont want to slide around on the seat.
Wear your seatbelt and you won't be sliding anywhere.

Leather is hot in summer
I had leather seats in my convert, and they would get hot when I left the top down, so I just started leaning the seat forward when I got out of the car when leaving the top down. I never had trouble with them being hot with the top up or in our two Expeditions, and I live in Florida and wear shorts 3/4 of the year. Now the seat belt buckles are a different story.

In some cases I have seen leather deteriorate badly when it gets old.
I don't like cloth because of stains. Spill anything on them and they stain. This will be my 4th car with leather, and I've not had any trouble with deterioration. One of the cars had 100k miles on it. If you're talking really old, cloth seats don't do too well either.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:12 PM
n4ggs
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Silent Bob

LOL, leather on a Road course = slip and slide. I'll order cloth, since they will be replaced with Sparco's anyway.
exactally
Old 04-09-2005, 09:25 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I've worn a seatbelt since before it became law where I live, in 1977. Even with a seatbelt you still slide around some on leather. Each to his / her own. I just prefer the cloth. Not saying one's beter than the other. Cloth is just my personal preference.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:15 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I've had convertibles for almost 20 years and I always go for the leather. It wears much better then cloth and looks great.

I agree that the less you do to leather, the better they will last. Never ever use armorall or any other product not designed for leather. If you have light colored seats, saddle soap helps keep them clean.

The biggest problem with leather is the splitting. This is more common if they are exposed to the sun. I know it may not look cool, but I throw a towel or a blanket on top of my seats when I leave the tops down in full sun light. Not only does it protect the seats from the sun but it also protects them from bird droppings. Nothing worse then coming back to your convertible and finding an aviary friend has left a present for you. The towel or blanket also keeps the seat cooler. On very hot days, I even throw a towel over the steering wheel. (maybe I should jus tput the top up, --- naa that wouldn't be any fun)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leather vs cloth