Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cai/tune expectations too high??

Old 12-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: cai/tune expectations too high??

If you hadn't really "gotten on it" before the tune, then you might notfeel most of what everyone is talking about. Seat-of-the-pants thrill comes more from really opening her up instead of granny driving around town.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:15 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

ok, so you think that when guys say "it's like a whole new car"!!! and all that.....that maybe they're exaggerating? causei can def feel the power increase, just not mind blowing lol!!
i just didn't know if sometimes tunes need to be tweaked, although i don't have many mods.

oh and i get a substantial increase in mpg
Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

Which tune did you install? Anything other than race or torque is pointless.
He doesnt have Bama. I don think Brent does Torque and Race.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rebelyell06

Unfortunately I am, haven't had the money to get a good tune. My local performance shop does custom tunes. For 150 bucks I get 4 pulls and tuning between them. All they usually work on is mustangs and they've worked on quite a few newer model stangs I've seen runnin around town. I'll probably just let them tune it so they can see exactly whats going on with my car instead of telling them over the internet what I have done to it.
You'd be suprised how gooda Bamachips race tune feels, they're only $75.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:23 AM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

people on here are a little over dramatic, most of them very young...
Old 12-27-2007, 11:36 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

After installing my BBK CAI and brent tune, I noticed a big differences. Drive in seconded gear at 40mph, slam on the gas and I hang on. At the track, my times went from 14.1@100mph to 13.5@105mph. Also note, we’re current using winter blend gas. This could also help explexe the lack how ‘wow’ well driving with you new tune. Did you fill up twice with 93 gas before installing your tune?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

Unfortunately I am, haven't had the money to get a good tune. My local performance shop does custom tunes. For 150 bucks I get 4 pulls and tuning between them. All they usually work on is mustangs and they've worked on quite a few newer model stangs I've seen runnin around town. I'll probably just let them tune it so they can see exactly whats going on with my car instead of telling them over the internet what I have done to it.
yeah, its cheaper, but I'd rather be there and learn how to use my tuner better while I'm watching them instead of just having one sent. That and I've done some business with them before, too. I trust em, and their tuner guy is atuner for diablosport specificallyand that dude really knows how to tweak stuff.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harraid5711

ok, so you think that when guys say "it's like a whole new car"!!! and all that.....that maybe they're exaggerating? causei can def feel the power increase, just not mind blowing lol!!
i just didn't know if sometimes tunes need to be tweaked, although i don't have many mods.

oh and i get a substantial increase in mpg
Yes somtimes tunes need to be tweaked. However without a dyno with datalogging,
or at least a datalog from the car on the street I dont know if he could do anything there.
This however would primarily be for bhp though. Just making sure AFR is right and its not pulling timing.

If its primarily a response issue I dont see why he couldnt make the driver demand tables more aggressive.

Ilikethat now when you tip into the throttle it feels like it has some oats.
Thesame when I hammer a gearshift it doesnt close the TB on me anymore.
When I blip the throttle the rpm jumps NOW! Just a short tickle gets the rpm up to match downshifts.
BeforeI had to give a about three times the throttle for twice as long.

You do have a 93 Oct Tune dont you?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:45 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

yes i did.....ran three tanks beforehand. also, i had a bad experience with the install, all my fault. this could have taken some of the luster off of the experience as well lol
Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

yeah, its cheaper, but I'd rather be there and learn how to use my tuner better while I'm watching them instead of just having one sent. That and I've done some business with them before, too. I trust em, and their tuner guy is atuner for diablosport specificallyand that dude really knows how to tweak stuff.
Nothing wrong with using the local guy if he knows his stuff. Although I did go mailorder Im only 60 mi from BamaChips.
After you get your tune sorted if funds become available in the future you can order a Bama Race File.
In some ways trying different tunes from different tuners is a learning experience. Why are tunes from different tuners
different? Why do Brenspeed and Bama come with a 6800 rpm limiter and VMP 6500 rpm. Different tuners have different
philosophies and it gives you a chance to develop your own. The primary reason I went mailorder is because at this time
Ididnt know enough to know what I wanted different from standard. When I getall my mods done and know what I want
the car will go on Dougs Dyno to be optimized.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cai/tune expectations too high??