Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About that darn vapor trap!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 07:24 PM
05LegendLimeV6

Default RE: About that darn vapor trap!

I just went out and pulled off the hose from the airbox to the TB and didn't see any kind of filter inside. By looking at the pics in Muscle Mustangs this month, it looks like it is right at the airbox. Am I looking in the right place or not?
Old 03-27-2005, 07:30 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

You need a tune. The computer will not take any kind of modification in stock form. It has to be reflashed every time you do anything that includes takeing the vapor trap out.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:34 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

it is at the right side of the intake hose. i just removed mine the other day myself. i have put on a steeda CAI with the SCT and didnt really experience as much of an increase as expected. Once i removed that vapor trap, the increase was up to what i had expected and more. That damn thing really does restrict air flow quite a bit. All i did was take an exacto knife and cut out the little lip of rubber that holds the trap in place (be careful not to damage the actual hose itself ie. poking a hole through it). After that lip was removed, i used a pair of needle-nose pliers and it slid right out. Also, make sure that none of those little metal shavings get down in your intake hose. If they do, make sure to clean it out good. I dont think the engine would appreciate it too much if you are sucking metal shavings through your throttle body. If you are going to increase the flow of air to your stang, you really do need to flash the computer with the SCT, diablo, or have the dealer do it. if not, i have heard way too much about a negative turnout of increasing the airflow. good luck with getting it done and i am sure you will be satisfied.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:11 PM
dwcinga

One more vote - I've had a K&N drop-in filter and no vapor filter for over 1000 miles; engine light never came on (about 600 miles until Diablo tune). Diablo allows reflashing the stock tune, if you need to - it saves it before it installs the performance tune.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

People talk about reflashing like you could get it done for free anyplace. Most of these programs cost 100s of dollars and require you to run premium fuel. A slight increase in performance sure as hell aint worth the price to me. I took out the trap and had no probs so far. I have a K&N filter ready to go in, but now Im afraid to install it. I wish we could resolve this once and for all.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:26 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

well, thats just the price of performance. it is all how much you are willing to pay. as for the air flow increase, i paid the one time $350 for the SCT and a couple of tunes from steeda. they said this tune is good for any upgrades in air increase minus the supercharger of course. i personally like to go fast and if i have to pay a couple grand and an extra .15 cents per gallon for gas to get my car into the 12's, then so be it. if you want that performance without the aftermarkets, then buy a vette or something similar, but hey, you are gonna spend atleast 20 grand more for a car like that. can you imagine how many gallons of gas you would have to buy to accumulate that 20 grand. with that being said, i think the higher octane gas and a few hundred dollars for the programming is well worth it.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:27 PM
StangMan2005

I don't know much about reflashing... So lets say I remove my vapor trap, how does the reflashing of the computer make a difference? Are you flashing a new program? Just wondering how the car knows the vapor trap is gone?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:38 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

it knows the trap is gone b/c it reads that more airflow is going through your engine than before. steeda explained it to me, as i asked the guy to, in simplest words possible and with no professional talk. he said that the computer is set to accept a certain amount of airflow from the factory. if you are forcing more air through the engine, the computer will take it as something is wrong since it is not set to accept this extra air in turn making it run differently, and from what i have heard, worse. reflashing or installing a new program resets the computer to accept this extra air and lets the car breathe better without pissing off the computer in the process.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:44 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mac10chap

well, thats just the price of performance. it is all how much you are willing to pay. as for the air flow increase, i paid the one time $350 for the SCT and a couple of tunes from steeda. they said this tune is good for any upgrades in air increase minus the supercharger of course. i personally like to go fast and if i have to pay a couple grand and an extra .15 cents per gallon for gas to get my car into the 12's, then so be it. if you want that performance without the aftermarkets, then buy a vette or something similar, but hey, you are gonna spend atleast 20 grand more for a car like that. can you imagine how many gallons of gas you would have to buy to accumulate that 20 grand. with that being said, i think the higher octane gas and a few hundred dollars for the programming is well worth it.

AMEN Brotha!![sm=exactly.gif]
Old 03-28-2005, 01:53 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

ORIGINAL: mac10chap

AMEN Brotha!![sm=exactly.gif]
If anybody has an automatic and wants the regular fuel file for the Steeda CAI I have it and can email it to you. All you need is the $50.00 serial port cable from SCT and the software from SCT"s site called quick tune. I have both the regular fuel file and the premium fuel file. I got mine straight from SCT through an email. I programed mine myself because my local dealer's computer was hosed and I did not want to wait. If you ask for a regular fuel file before you order your box you can do it. Also if you make a gear change you may want to ask for a stock program with the gear change so you can take it back stock and still have an acurate speedo.

Quick Reply: About that darn vapor trap!