Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Saleen Mustang questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:37 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default 2005 Saleen Mustang questions

I have seen the Saleen Mustang and its a very sexy car. However after talking to the salesman it was brought to my attention that it has 325 horsepower that is 25 more than the GT Mustang. It also has beautiful 20 inch tires and also ground effects. I also like the grill better than the GT Mustang but the real question is this Why 50,000 dollars to 30,000. Does tires, style and 25 more horsepower grant that much of an increase. This car will not compete with the Corvette. Will there be more stages like I heard the Roush will offer? How bout it Casper, What do you know?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:16 AM
MrAWatts
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 Saleen Mustang questions

Well, alot of the extra money is for the name! The tires and rims are actually really expensive, to buy them a set of four is over 3k! That's expensive for rims. They are cool though. Then the sexy bodykit, I believe the exhaust is pretty good to. Not to mention the saleen suspension, which is great. You should buy a saleen supercharger for it when they are available if your into power. You have a great car man!

Btw, about the Roush... I have seen 1 in person, it was so beatiful... I wanted it sooooo bad. I am yet to see a new saleen in person, but I can't wait. They look great in picture.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:55 AM
TwenTurbos

^^^ i agree
Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM
mustang mac

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

I have seen the Saleen Mustang and its a very sexy car. However after talking to the salesman it was brought to my attention that it has 325 horsepower that is 25 more than the GT Mustang. It also has beautiful 20 inch tires and also ground effects. I also like the grill better than the GT Mustang but the real question is this Why 50,000 dollars to 30,000. Does tires, style and 25 more horsepower grant that much of an increase. This car will not compete with the Corvette. Will there be more stages like I heard the Roush will offer? How bout it Casper, What do you know?

The mechanic at the dealership that I bought my GT from told me that I should be pulling 320-330 with the Bassani headers and exhaust system he installed. Dont know for sure until I can put it on the dyno.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13565/F1621E60BFB4460D813874DFBD2C1A5B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13565/49D970712B1E40FBB840B754D91CF362.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Well, first off, there are 3 Saleen models for 05. The n/a S281 is rated at 325 hp, and bases under 40k. Next is the S281sc, which is almost the same car as the first one with a blower. It bases under 44k. The 3rd is the S281E, rated at 500 hp. It bases at around 63k. When comparing a gt to an entry level Saleen, the price difference is around 10k. The base model Saleen wll compete with a corvette in handling and braking (pending a brake upgrade), but your talkin' a lot less $ than a vette. A better comparison is the 400 hp S281sc. The sc Saleen will compete with a new c6 vette straight across the board in every category. Even the price is similar. One thing about owning a Saleen vs a vette is that the saleen will hold its value better over time. Depreciation is always a factor. The S281E (500hp) from Saleen will eat a new c6 vette for lunch in all categories, but the price tag reflects it. The new 'E' car would be better compared with the new Z06 or a Viper.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:30 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

Birdieman is the person to answer this question, for sure, but I have driven the 2005 s281 and it handles better than the GT, sounds better as well. One thing I will have to say though is that they are tougher to finance as the loans basically come up as $40k Mustang GT, so they will require more money down in order to get a decent rate (at least through the financing companies I spoke with). Personally, I liked the way the Saleen drove, sounded, and accelerated, but for the money it's hard to not go with the GT unless the look is truly what is drawing you to the Saleen. It does have a different look.

Also, insurance on the Saleens is higher, FWIW.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Birdieman the ones here in Charleston, South Carolina go for about 46,000- 50,000 thats the first stage one . Man if I had the money I would go with that car believe me. I like to know what extra do they have as far as engine performance to bring it to 325 horsepower. Than it would be easier for us all to modify our engines to theirs if that's even possible.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:51 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

I would go to the Saleen website (www.saleen.com) and look under vehicles. It will discuss the different cars and the specs and such.

As far as cost, there are a few here in San Diego and they are going for $43,826. I am not sure of exactly what options are on them other than the standard stuff (e.g., 20" wheels, suspension mods, exhaust).
Old 03-21-2005, 07:59 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

Theres alot you're not considering. You're talking a whole new car it's the small details that make the car unique as much as the 25 more horsepower, and MUCH better suspension. They probably have different gears and a 6 speed transmission (not sure?). I have seen one they are very good looking. The wheels and bodykit the new interior with custom leather and other minor things like ***** probably. Also keep in mind like the Bullitt that came out a couple years ago with 5 more horsepower than the GT of the same year. It's not all about horsepower why does everybody go by that. Saleen is a performance car, aimed at Performance! Not a number they can print on a sheet of paper. The powerband is probably flatter and the area under the curve is probably enough of a difference to be quite worth it.

Oh yeah.. almost forgot, the only saleen dealership in this area has theirs going for 48k sticker with a 3k market demand mark up (that is on all '05 mustangs there). They also have 2004 Saleens still. What I thought was amusing was that they are asking 39k for an 04 Saleen that isn't SC'd-- rated at 290HP.. 10 less than the '05s I bet they are going to have a hella hard time selling that.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:47 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I know where you can buy an 05 Saleen S281 mineral grey with chrome rims for under 40k right now.

Quick Reply: 2005 Saleen Mustang questions