Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum driveshaft (did search.....need more opinions)

Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Default Aluminum driveshaft (did search.....need more opinions)

I'm looking at aluminumdriveshafts. I've done a search and it appears the majority of you guys love the Sydershaft.

It's seems like most of you prefer the 3.5" driveshafts over the 4" driveshafts.

I do plan on supercharging in the future, so a strong driveshaft would benefit. I'm not certain if I will lower the car yet.

My one question is: What's is the difference between the shafts with a new pinon flange, and the shafts with the adapter plates?? Strength issues? Vibration issues? It seems to me the pinion flange would be a more difficult install due tosetting thepre-load on the pinion gear (don't want to over or under tighten). Whereas and adapter simply bolts on.

Here's a list of shafts I've found:

Powerhouse: 4",adapter, $700
Shaftmaster: 3.5" AND 4", pinionflange OR adapter, $450-645
Currie: 4",pinion flange/adapter ???, $700
Spydershaft: 3.5"-4" tapered, pinion flange, $520
Coast: 4", adapter, $580
Dynotech: 3.5" pinion flange/adapter ???, price???
LFP (Lightning Force Performance), pinion flange/adapter???, $480
Steeda: 3.5"-4" tapered, pinion flange, $650
JPC: 4", pinion flange/adapter, $750
Findanza: 3.5", pinion flange/adapter???, price???
Lakewood: 3.5", adapter, $640

I'm leaning more towards Sydershaft, Steeda, or Shaftmasters. Shaftmasters 3.5" with pinion flange is $595, with adapter is $645. Spydershaft seems to be the most liked and doesn't hurt the wallet too bad. Steeda is definitely a quality product, but pricey. Don't know much about Shaftmasters.

I need input guys.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Aluminum driveshaft (did search.....need more opinions)

I dont think new pinion flanges matter.... Spyder says his is nice because it has one, rather than an adapter plate, but I just dont see why it matters.

About pinion install... I hated it! Took my 2 days becaues I couldnt get the old off, had to rent tools, then had trouble getting new on... But most people say it comes right off. As for pre-load, I just torqued it down until hell froze over so everything has been great. Spyder seems the lightest option also, im glad I bought it.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Shaftmasters is a GREAT company and will stand behind the product. I was the first to get on and its made by the owner of the company. GIve them a shot, those who have aren't disappointed....
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Shaftmasters or Spyder.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 PM
leo_06gt
2nd Gear Member

I'm more than pleased with my 3.5" Shaftmasters DS. FYI-The shaftmaster DS is created from scratch while the Sypdershaft isa modified Ford Ranger shaft. I'm sure they both net you the same performance though.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Either shaftmasters or Spyder (not in any particular order)- one of which is what I will get in the future! J (I have FI)
Old 01-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Stangula

I am planning on installing my whipple HO kit as soon as it gets here do i need a new drive shaft first?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I have Coast ... no complaints
Old 01-08-2008, 12:19 AM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesazAbout pinion install... I hated it! Took my 2 days becaues I couldnt get the old off, had to rent tools, then had trouble getting new on... But most people say it comes right off. As for pre-load, I just torqued it down until hell froze over so everything has been great. Spyder seems the lightest option also, im glad I bought it.
I can understand your frustration there! My Ranger's pinion seal was leaking like crazy.....just sprung a leak, wasn't a gradual getting worse event.....it just happened. Well, seems like an easy fix. Go to Napa, get the seal and some new gear lube and additive. Take the driveshaft off, don't have a large enough socket for the pinion nut. Bought one, then my impact gun didn't have the berries to get it off, borrowed my dad's. Once it came loose, the flange slid right off, popped the old seal out, new seal in, pounded the flange back on, impacted the nut back on, drained the oil and filled her back up. I honestly think I F**KED my rear differential up. Not sure if I undertightened the pinion nut, or over tightened it and cruched the crush sleeve, but I think the pre-load is off and the bearings are going bad. It's making a nasty high pitch humming whistling sound.I'm just waiting for it too explode.

Moral of story.....I think I'd rather stay away from the pinion flange and choose the adapter.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:38 AM
JimC

I have a 4" Shaftmaster and am very pleased with their product.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aluminum driveshaft (did search.....need more opinions)