Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built in break in limit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Lugn
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Built in break in limit?

ORIGINAL: 05_Bullitt

The high RPM and hard driving created a small radiator leak.....
*** RESPECT ***
Old 03-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Mustang Novice
1st Gear Member

What does keeping it at one speed do that's so bad? I don't understand how keeping the car at 2200 rpms constant is worse than going from 1800 to 2600 rpms while driving on the highway. Sounds to me like when you mother told you not to cross your eyes or they would get stuck that way.
I've had 4 cars that I've put 100k+ miles on and none of them were broken-in that way (they weren't run hard the first thousand or so), and none of them ever went to the shop.
Also, if you're concerned about this, don't ever buy a demo. When my wife and I were dating, she got a new car every 3000 miles. I promise you, none of them were "broken-in" by this method, and she didn't know the meaning of oil change.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Your my kinda of friend. Keep rocking it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ORIGINAL: 05_Bullitt

First to answer your question I have not heard of break in limits and I have done A LOT of research before purchasing this car.

I'm still just under 1500 miles... But I can tell you I am NOT being tender with my car so far. I had to pick it up about 1,000 miles away.

The only comment the dealer and many professionals said was don't maintain the same RPM for long periods of time. Other than that I drove it hard.

I burned rubber pulling out of the Ford dealer where I got it. I also burned rubber in front of every chevy and dodge dealer. When I crossed Canada I had 700 miles already so I did use cruise control for a bit at about 110 mph. This car drives too smooth... I'm having too much fun! LOL

The high RPM and hard driving created a small radiator leak so a different ford dealer fixed it - no charge - while I was on the road.

I'm adding a supercharger very soon so I figure drive it hard and get whatever breaks fixed while I still have the warranty.

Just what I did. I don't think taking it easy is bad... but I didn't go that route.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13954/BDE3883C803C47CC8A3C04A473E35283.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13954/8C3D6B293D33415F918CA0E91B99138A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

You also should know I live in Charleston, South Carolina, its called the lowcountry.
ORIGINAL: Lugn

That's pretty good. I'm somewhere between 14 and 19, depending on how I drive it. That is mixed highway and city driving.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:50 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I've always been very "in touch" with things. Tactile, feeling. I can tell by the way the brakes feel when I'm running out of pads/shoes before I have metal to metal or other warning indicators. Just know when something is not "right" with the ride or the mechanical object in question.

My GT now has a tad over 1.5k miles on it. I vote that it is very recently running better. Surprising me when I acclerate at times. Seems stronger. We buy five speed manual trans because we have more control. Part of that control is to be able to down shift as we slow, and to run a lower gear on downhill runs. I felt that the "Compression Braking" on my GT was not what it should be. Now, yesterday, I was in the hills, and compression braking felt stronger. Still not like in my old V8's of yesteryear by any means, but, stronger.

Yesterday there were a couple of instances in which I was in traffic and on hilly backroads, more throttle application was desired, just "felt" like there was more there than I expected, and in the traffic throttle application in downtown Monterey California to skip through a changing light, I was definitly surprised by the results!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Lugn
1st Gear Member

My service guy at Ford acctually confirmed that he heard the same thing about a built in limiter.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

After I went to the track the first time, I went to accelerate onto the freeway and I suprised myself. It felt a lot stronger.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:04 PM
HubbaHubba

I am not doubting the possibility of a limiter on these things, but there is some validity to a proper break in. All tolerances are tight from the factory and require some time to work/wear together, just the natural break in will cause an increase in power over time as the internals wear and become more efficient. Most drag racers will tell you their cars will continue to get faster and faster over time, until they break.. LOL or the car starts going the other way, and then it is time to freshen up the motor. Of course if you are waiting for the magic limiter to clear and provide you with copius amounts of additional ponies I think you need a reality check.[sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif]
Old 03-25-2005, 03:39 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

There is always the proper "Break In" argument. I pretty much did that. Spent time driving in the Santa Cruz Mountains to allow many throttle changes and RPM changes. Only "naughty" I can think of was about a 200 mile round trip time spent in cruise control mode while car was in about the 450 to 700 mile range. Other than that some firm throttle apps and compressin apps. Didn't get into any really strong throttle till about 750 miles (had too) and pretty much waited till 1,000 miles before getting into it harder and more often. Engine is really sweet!

ORIGINAL: HubbaHubba

I am not doubting the possibility of a limiter on these things, but there is some validity to a proper break in. All tolerances are tight from the factory and require some time to work/wear together, just the natural break in will cause an increase in power over time as the internals wear and become more efficient. Most drag racers will tell you their cars will continue to get faster and faster over time, until they break.. LOL or the car starts going the other way, and then it is time to freshen up the motor. Of course if you are waiting for the magic limiter to clear and provide you with copius amounts of additional ponies I think you need a reality check.[sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif]
Old 03-25-2005, 04:03 PM
MustangBuddha

ORIGINAL: Mustang Novice

What does keeping it at one speed do that's so bad?
Sorry - since this thread is about a break-in limiter, I moved my post to the Engine Break-in thread.

BTW, I have noticed that my car seems to perform a little better now, but it doesn't coincide with the milage intervals mentioned above. I think it's just that my break-in ritual is working.

Quick Reply: Built in break in limit?