Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-tune? Frequently?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 AM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Re-tune? Frequently?

I honestly feel like I have to re-tune my car every time I get an oil change. Maybe I am becoming numb to the increase I experience with my first tune? Or maybe... I just want more? Does anyone else re-turn their car... with the same tune?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:42 AM
DJACKSO
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Re-tune? Frequently?

Yep! About every 4th tank of gas I reflash my tune.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

[sm=dontgetit.gif] What does that accomplish?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

makes them feel better i guess... [&:]

only time I reflash a tune is after I put it back to stock if I took it to the dealer...
Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

The only reason it feels strong again is because it is resetting your throttle response in the computer. Instead of retuning, you can just reset your throttle. Turn key to start postion (dont start), let all the warning lights turn off on dash (not all lights turn off), slowly push in the gas pedal all the way until it hits the floor, hold it there, turn the key to the off position, slowly let the gas pedal out. Wait ten seconds, start your car and enjoy
Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

There's a lot of back and forth about whether the "adaptive driving" (or whatever catchy buzzword you choose to use) that adapts the car to your driving habits is still present, and possibly in full force, even after a tune. So, if you've driven the car to/from work everyday, going slow, bumper-to-bumper traffic, then the car adapts to that and it feels sluggish when you get up on it again.

By re-tuning the car, the theory is that you refresh that adaptive learning, and it gets back all the kick that it used to have.

To my knowledge, an accurate answer to this often asked question hasn't been found yet, although I think howarmat had the best explaination I've seen somewhere in the forums.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

The only reason it feels strong again is because it is resetting your throttle response in the computer. Instead of retuning, you can just reset your throttle. Turn key to start postion (dont start), let all the warning lights turn off on dash (not all lights turn off), slowly push in the gas pedal all the way until it hits the floor, hold it there, turn the key to the off position, slowly let the gas pedal out. Wait ten seconds, start your car and enjoy
This sounds interesting. What exactly do you mean by "resetting the throttle"? ...and how does this procedure do that?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

The throttle response is adaptive, this resets it. When you are physically pushing the gas pedal in slowly, you can actually hear it. Go try it, I promise it works. I do it once a week when I want go response
Old 01-17-2008, 12:12 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

The throttle response is adaptive, this resets it. When you are physically pushing the gas pedal in slowly, you can actually hear it. Go try it, I promise it works. I do it once a week when I want go response
Where did you learn this, if you don't mind my asking?

By throttle response, do you mean throttle lag will be less after this trick?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:18 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

There was a big thing on it in the Saleen forums a while back. To be honest, I didnt believe it at all so I went and tried it. It does work! The throttle is much more "touchy" and sensitive. I only do it when I want to drive quickly. I would hate very touchy throttle response very early in the morning when I am tired. It is a great weekend thing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Re-tune? Frequently?