Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs keep fouling out. Think I found out the solution

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Plugs keep fouling out. Need some help

If a plug is fouled from running too rich, you can clean off the plug and correct the original cause and reinstall the plugs. Only when they get hot from a lean condition are they paper weights Fouled from oil is again, reusable but you have more serious issues.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 AM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

True, but if you know you are running too rich than why are you running at all? Every single time I have fouled a plug (well over 20 times on this car) it is always because of a spark issue (or lack thereof) and the plug was always toast. But I do run much more power than most. On a typical set-up you are correct and I need to remember the 'average' set-up when giving advice. Thanks for the reminder...[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 01-18-2008, 10:46 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

True, but if you know you are running too rich than why are you running at all? Every single time I have fouled a plug (well over 20 times on this car) it is always because of a spark issue (or lack thereof) and the plug was always toast.

Hopefully when you discover the rich condition, you correct it. The plugs are still good. Just fouled. They may look bad, but are still functionable. You are wearing out your plug threads in the head.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Dex
5th Gear Member

Its not running rich. My wideband is pegged at 16

im just confused because this shouldnt happen from just trying to start the car and get it running for a bit. Even if it is lean as hell
I do have a tune for a richer mixture but if something else is the problem i dont want to fry my new plugs

i dont know what to think....
Old 01-18-2008, 10:54 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

It stinks like an air leak Dex. Check your lines....
Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dex

Its not running rich. My wideband is pegged at 16

im just confused because this shouldnt happen from just trying to start the car and get it running for a bit. Even if it is lean as hell
I do have a tune for a richer mixture but if something else is the problem i dont want to fry my new plugs

i dont know what to think....

No, we weren't saying you were. The plug you showed (pic) is from a lean condition more than likely. It was NOT fouled. It looks like it was too close to a volcano.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Dex
5th Gear Member

air leak, hmmm. I have gone through all my lines and didnt see a thing. I'll check again tonight and tomorrow. Only lines I can to hook back up were the wastegate. Everything else was done before for my STS setup

at idle can you fry your plugs? seems off to me
Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dex

air leak, hmmm. I have gone through all my lines and didnt see a thing. I'll check again tonight and tomorrow. Only lines I can to hook back up were the wastegate. Everything else was done before for my STS setup

at idle can you fry your plugs? seems off to me

I wouldn't think so. Only when you get the rpms up there and advance the timing. For some reason, you are getting too much air mix, and/or timing.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Dex
5th Gear Member

well i think im going to try this new tune and put the new plugs in. if it doesnt idle i'll just turn the car off and pull the plugs
Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

Running lean is asbout as bad as you can do to ruin your motor. Especially with the 2 piece plugs these cars use. That thing gets too hot, breaks the tip off and a whole lot of ugly possibilities pop up. (tapping a piston for one)

If you don't get a new tune, changing plugs is going to be the least of your worries.

BTW: When one of these plugs is fouled, it's not okay to just 'clean them off' - when they are fouled - they need to be trashed.

Back to Dex - are you sure you have enough fuel and spark for your set-up and power level?
+1, like melted holes in pistons, burnt valves, blah blah blah.

To the OP, the picture sux. I cant tell anything by looking at it. ANother thing, what a horrible choice of background for the pic, the plug blends in and you cant tell the color of the electrode or anything.

-P.

Quick Reply: Plugs keep fouling out. Think I found out the solution