Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

28 MPG!! Are you f'n kidding me!??!!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:02 AM
danbogart
2nd Gear Member

Default 28 MPG!! Are you f'n kidding me!??!!?!?

Bama 92 race tune. First tank of gas. 28 miles per gallon!!! With a stock tune I was lucky to hit 20. The car is incredibly snappy and gets 8 mpg more. Doug is the man!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:10 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 28 MPG!! Are you f'n kidding me!??!!?!?

Not at all. I get 27 EVERYday with a stock tune and have gotten as high as 32. The things you have to do is drive like there were a rotten egg under the gas pedal and you sure don't want to break it. Also, drive like there was a steaming hot cup of coffee perched on your lap and you don't want to accelerate too fast or it will scald your jewels. And, it helps if you can keep the speed around 55-60 but certainly not over 65 on a long trip.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:18 AM
socalsaleen

That doesn't sound like very much fun, I bought my mustang for its v8 and I use it...15mpg is fine by me. It sure beats the 7-10mpg I got with o2 saleen with a kenne bell. I am amazed the car is capable of such milage though.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:24 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

It's fun being in the GT at any speeds, but around here (boondocks) speed limit is 55 so.........................
Old 01-26-2008, 07:37 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

I miss this one completely. You pay $26K for a V8 GT, and then worry about the mileage? You could have bought a Focus, for half the price and achieved even higher MPG. BTW, I don't believe for one second that a 4.6 GT can achieve 27 MPG during everyday driving. Besides, the fact that it requires fuel to manufacture horsepower, the idea that one can actually consistantly operate the throttle without "letting her loose" a few times a tank full is inconcievable. Then again, BS is what makes the world go round.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danbogart

Bama 92 race tune. First tank of gas. 28 miles per gallon!!! With a stock tune I was lucky to hit 20. The car is incredibly snappy and gets 8 mpg more. Doug is the man!
I think part of the gain is from the elimination of the throttle opening rate limitation in the stock tune.
Because the TB doesnt open immediately to what you ask for you tend to give it more throttle.
Since I added the Race Tune I have been averaging 23 mpg in mixed highway, city, and drag strip use.
In strictly highway use I have gotten a low of 26 mpg @ 80 mph and 30 mpg @ 70 mph a couple of times.

PS I had a Focus. It averaged 2 mpg better in mixed use than the Mustang.
25 vs 23 mpg and the Focus didnt have the dragstrip passes.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:43 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

I miss this one completely. You pay $26K for a V8 GT, and then worry about the mileage? You could have bought a Focus, for half the price and achieved even higher MPG. BTW, I don't believe for one second that a 4.6 GT can achieve 27 MPG during everyday driving. Besides, the fact that it requires fuel to manufacture horsepower, the idea that one can actually consistantly operate the throttle without "letting her loose" a few times a tank full is inconcievable. Then again, BS is what makes the world go round.

No BS. And I resent you calling me a liar. I didn't spend $26K on a GT. I spent $31K on a GT. The mileage I posted is all highway driving, EVERYDAY! I run 3.31 gears which helps as you may, or may not know. You see, I like to have my cake and eat it too. Who in the Fuc* are you to question my motives for buyiing a GT?
Old 01-26-2008, 07:45 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

It sounds like he acheived that mileage on a tank with mostly highway driving. It is nice to know that if you are going on a trip somewhere that you can get that kind of mileage with a tune (you don't have to drive like a maniac ALL of the time).
Old 01-26-2008, 07:47 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdmcbride

It sounds like he acheived that mileage on a tank with mostly highway driving. It is nice to know that if you are going on a trip somewhere that you can get that kind of mileage with a tune (you don't have to drive like a maniac ALL of the time).

Exactly.[>:]
Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 AM
mustangsally07
1st Gear Member

i wish mine got that much. i kind of find that hard to believe also. i got an 2007 gt with 5000 miles on it. i get 19 in the city(thats taking it easy shiftingevery gear at 2000rpm) and 25-26 on the interstate with the cruise set at 75mph

Quick Reply: 28 MPG!! Are you f'n kidding me!??!!?!?