Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default TPMS

Yeah yeah I know another Tpms post but this is what I HAVEN'T heard yet. I finally got tired of hitting the dash button and walked into the local NTB tire store. Huge tire distributor so I'm thinking they know what they're talking about,right?

The guy tells me that they charge $90 to reprogram the sensors and gives me a "wink-wink" just bring it to the local dealership and they'll do it.

He also tells me that there is a way to get the dash computer to adjust/resensor for the new ones but won't elaborate. Anyone heard of this????
Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TPMS

Do you have brand new sensors or something?

Something I didn't know was that if you are in a wreck due to a tire issue and they find out you didn't have your sensors, there is a stiff federal fine to pay. I don't know how much it is though.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Why don't you just take the old ones from the stock tires and put them in the new ones?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:32 PM
cobraa99
2nd Gear Member

never heard of any "dash sensor", and ive heard and seen them all...maybe he had a man crush on you and was the cause of the wink
Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Something I didn't know was that if you are in a wreck due to a tire issue and they find out you didn't have your sensors, there is a stiff federal fine to pay. I don't know how much it is though.
Acutally that is be illegal. Its only if the dash warning light is modified not to light up when the system is not working properly. ie, no sensors.

They can be removed without breaking any federal law, its tampering with the warning light on the dash that is.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Acutally that is be illegal. Its only if the dash warning light is modified not to light up when the system is not working properly. ie, no sensors.

They can be removed without breaking any federal law, its tampering with the warning light on the dash that is.
Oh, ok.....that seems strange.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yes, the sensors are new. They came in the new rims/tires from tirerack. The guy at NTB sure was wanting to get rid of me quickly. I don't thinkhe hada man crush [8D]. I think they didn't feel like dealing with it and wanted me to feel good about going somewhere else...

He said that when they use the tool it only works "sometimes" and is flaky. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm going to try a couple of different places and the dealership today to get some more opinions before dropping $90 on it.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 AM
07mark
2nd Gear Member

Discount tire ended up replacing 3 out 4 sensors for me and all I did was go to my dealership and told them my sensors needed recalibrated. Took them about 5 minutes.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

They have a tool to check the sensors. I watched discount tire calibrate my sensors. They turn your ignition on and off 3 times then put it in on the position. Then they take a handheld sensor around to each tire and hold it against the sidwall. If it detects the sensor, your horn will honk. If your car honks on all 4 sensors, it resets the tpms light in your car and your good to go. Took them like 2 minutes to check mine.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I just bought new wheels and tires plus replacement bands/brackets for the sensors (from Americanmuscle). My local Ford dealership will break-down my stock wheels and tires, remove the sensors and install them on my new rims and mount and balance my new wheels and tires. Twice they quoted me about $50 TOTAL (NOT per tire). Twice because I didn't believe the first person I spoke to. It's a real pain but I figured it's the only way to resolve the TPMS issue with new wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: TPMS