Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

Default V6 intake

I dont much care for the current V6 intake offerings. I havent had a chance to look under the hood of a GT. Is the GT intake better than the V6 intake? Can the GT intake be adapted to fit the V6. I dont think there is much to gain by just replacing the filter in the stock airbox. It looks like the intake tube between the airbox and TB could stand to be improved, but no one seems to be working on that angle

It appears that all the aftermarket has done is throw together an adapter for a cone filter and a bent piece of metal for a heat shield. $200+ later we have a $40 intake.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:20 PM
T.J. King

Default RE: V6 intake

I can't advise on the GT airbox but I have added a K&N filter to my V6. The sound really improved and it seems to wind up quicker. I've talked to the dealer about changes to the air system. He is having me check with the service manager about changes. They will reflash if they can. My next move will be to remove the vapor block. Then I intend to buy a airbox cover from a salvage yard, cut the top out, block off the intake to my airbox and place the cut cover over the K&N. I hope this will let the air blast into the filter.
I'll post the results.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:48 AM
T.J. King

Stopped to talk with the service manager yesterday. The airbox feeds from below the filter. There is not a vapor block on my car. We decided to drill a few more holes in the airbox. I did this yesterday afternoon. I drilled four 3/4" holes in the box. I have not had a chance to drive it yet but just revving the engine did not set off the check engine light.

Tom
Old 03-29-2005, 01:30 PM
BradC
1st Gear Member

I'm really conflicted on which route I want to take. The K&N drop-in or an Induction system. I don't like the idea of having to reflash because those devices are expensive, but I don't want to spend the money on the K&N then change my mind a month later.

By the way, I know the K&N says you only have to clean and re-oil the filter every 50,000 miles under ideal conditions, but in reality how often does this need to be done? Is it a pain in the butt to do it, or is it relatively easy? What kind of oil do you use, and if it's a special oil, where do you get it? How much does it cost?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

OK....

Excuse my stupidity.. BUT... why would doing simple things like drilling holes before the filter - or changing the stock filter for a high-flow aftermarket filter, cause a "check engine" light.

Exectly what sensors are installed in the air intake system and what are they monitoring?

I would guess possibly an OXY Sensor, which would only be there to adjust the Fuel mix, and possibly a TEMP sensor to account for temp changes with the fuel mix.

Airpolution Control doesn't care what goes in.. only what goes out...

Bear in mind, this car was built as cheap as possible. Sensors are expensive, so Ford isn't going to put on on unless absolutely nessessary by law to meet Polution Standards and/or to maximize performance of the engine.

Must me lettiing my brainlessness show!

-PW
Old 03-29-2005, 02:34 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I "think" what they are getting at is that the computers are pretty sensitive. Any change in the air flow ( i.e. free flowing filter, more openings in the air box, etc. ) might cause the check engine light to come on. That is why every site out there that sells a CAI kit stresses a computer reflash to accept and compensate for the change in air flow to the engine.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

I think those CAI kits are garbage. The aftermarket just threw something together, I havent seen any dyno or flow numbers to suggest that those kits are better than the stock intake. If you look under the hood of a V6 the area around the snorkle is pretty open. It looks like plenty of outside air can be sucked into the engine.

I think the area that needs improvement is the tube from the TB to the airbox. It has a bunch of bends, isnt smooth, and looks like a$$.