Search



Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration


Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2008, 06:16 PM   #31
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Location: The High Country
Posts: 3,547
Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Quote:
ORIGINAL: pascal

Quote:
ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

<Cough>Grandpa<Cough>
.


Hey Grandpa, the only time a manual sucks, would be in bumper to bumper traffic.
Rest of the time, more fun for us.
And let's not, talk about going steepdown hill with an auto[8D].







Why not? Just hit the OD off button and it holds it at 55 mph going down Wolf Creek Pass.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________
2007 GT Coupe Premium Windveil Blue, Born on date...3/07


O ne
B ig
A ss
M istake
A merica
GidyupGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #32
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator
 
pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 06
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 13,120
Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

With the same menu?? I mean French Fries and all?
__________________
pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:49 PM   #33
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member
 
grampa_stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT Coupe
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,249
Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Quote:
ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

thanks for all of the INFORMATIVE replies!

Lemme ask you this:
If starting in 2nd is a no-no, than coming to a complete stop in second would conceivably be a no-no also, right? Whats the prime mph to shift into first? Also, when decelerating, from lets say third gear, would it be possible for me to miss 2nd and shift right into 1st, harming the tranny?
There is no need to downshift when coming to a stop. But if you did, it wouldn't matter, that's where the torque converter comes into play.
And Yes, since these shifters are NOT a ratchet-type, it's very very easy to accidentally shift from 3rd to 1st. But you probably wouldn't
screw up as often as the manual guys do when they shift from 2nd to 3rd. Ouch!!!

As far as downshifting into 1st, anything under 25mph (that's with 3:31's)would be my cut off point. But I don't see too many situations that would call for that
unless your just cruising around real slow and want to drop it into 1st so you can do a quick throttle stab and make the front end jump. If you're doing under 25
and are about to race from a roll...when you stab it, the tranny will downshift for you.
__________________

'07 GT - AT / IUP / Charcoal int / Carbon fiber dash
JLT / SCT Xcal 2 / Bama 91 Race / Eibach Pro / 3.73's
Tint / Shorty / Sequentials / Cervinis side louvers
BFG G-Force SS A/S P255/45-18 / ADR Wheels
BoomTube Crew Member
grampa_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #34
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member
 
grampa_stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT Coupe
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,249
Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Quote:
ORIGINAL: pascal

Quote:
ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

<Cough>Grandpa<Cough>
.


Hey Grandpa, the only time a manual sucks, would be in bumper to bumper traffic.
Rest of the time, more fun for us.
And let's not, talk about going steepdown hill with an auto[8D].
That makes no sense to me...autos have gear selection too. Going downhill...manual shifting is a must.
If you dont,you'll wear out your brake pads real quick. Uphill too, I hate to bog the motor.

Maybe you're right...maybe it can bemore fun...(for those that really seriously know how to drive a manual).
I wonder ifmostchose the manual for the "cool" factor and really struggle when their driving ability is put to the test,
lets say for example a road course or the 1320.

And....I've never said a manual sucks. They can be alot of fun. But I always seem to find myself on here defending the
autos when someone with manual starts talking smack. What it really proves is how ignorant most ofyou are about autos.
Just put it in D and go...uh huh, yeah, we have that luxury....but we can also manual shift...and only need one leg to do it.
OH SNAP!

__________________

'07 GT - AT / IUP / Charcoal int / Carbon fiber dash
JLT / SCT Xcal 2 / Bama 91 Race / Eibach Pro / 3.73's
Tint / Shorty / Sequentials / Cervinis side louvers
BFG G-Force SS A/S P255/45-18 / ADR Wheels
BoomTube Crew Member
grampa_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #35
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator
 
pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 06
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 13,120
Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Quote:
ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

(for those that really seriously know how to drive a manual).
There is some to be said about that.
I was born and raised in Europe and most of us know how to drive a stick. Hell, you learn how to drive on a manual only.

The shifting action is about beeing in control of the car behavior for us. Going through whooptydoos calls for a manual.
If the auto was so suitable, Rallye cars, F1 and all other road course cars will use it.Actually, they are sequential gearbox now(like motorcycles).
I guess, a good automatic make sense in straight line racing.

I know what you gonna say: You don't race on the streets. True. But when it's time to downshift and have fun with the motor, I don't want an auto.

I don't put anyone down for having an auto either. I have one in my F150 and wouldn't have it any other way.
__________________
pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #36
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Location: The High Country
Posts: 3,547
Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Quote:
ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

Quote:
ORIGINAL: pascal

Quote:
ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

<Cough>Grandpa<Cough>
.


Hey Grandpa, the only time a manual sucks, would be in bumper to bumper traffic.
Rest of the time, more fun for us.
And let's not, talk about going steepdown hill with an auto[8D].
That makes no sense to me...autos have gear selection too. Going downhill...manual shifting is a must.
If you dont,you'll wear out your brake pads real quick. Uphill too, I hate to bog the motor.

Maybe you're right...maybe it can bemore fun...(for those that really seriously know how to drive a manual).
I wonder ifmostchose the manual for the "cool" factor and really struggle when their driving ability is put to the test,
lets say for example a road course or the 1320.

And....I've never said a manual sucks. They can be alot of fun. But I always seem to find myself on here defending the
autos when someone with manual starts talking smack. What it really proves is how ignorant most ofyou are about autos.
Just put it in D and go...uh huh, yeah, we have that luxury....but we can also manual shift...and only need one leg to do it.
OH SNAP!














I daresay some, not all, but some have a 6er mentality when it comes to Autos. You know who you are. Let me explain. 6ers are mostle young pups who like the lower insurance rates and who aren't finacially able the afford aGT payment.They may have afamily chose to put family before GT. Good for them. They lack experience in competitive driving. It all comes with age but it's like a bumper sticker I saw once. It read...."Hire a teenager while they still know everything." That sort of thing.
__________________
2007 GT Coupe Premium Windveil Blue, Born on date...3/07


O ne
B ig
A ss
M istake
A merica
GidyupGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM   #37
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Location: The High Country
Posts: 3,547
Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Quote:
ORIGINAL: pascal

Quote:
ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

(for those that really seriously know how to drive a manual).
There is some to be said about that.
I was born and raised in Europe and most of us know how to drive a stick. Hell, you learn how to drive on a manual only.

The shifting action is about beeing in control of the car behavior for us. Going through whooptydoos calls for a manual.
If the auto was so suitable, Rallye cars, F1 and all other road course cars will use it.Actually, they are sequential gearbox now(like motorcycles).
I guess, a good automatic make sense in straight line racing.

I know what you gonna say: You don't race on the streets. True. But when it's time to downshift and have fun with the motor, I don't want an auto.

I don't put anyone down for having an auto either. I have one in my F150 and wouldn't have it any other way.








You're probably too young to remember when Formula 1 and Indy cars were autos made by Andy Granetelli.
__________________
2007 GT Coupe Premium Windveil Blue, Born on date...3/07


O ne
B ig
A ss
M istake
A merica
GidyupGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #38
navyscott
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location:
Posts: 143
Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Bottom line, get a properly set-up tuner and leave it in "D". If you want to shift that badly, go trade in for a manual. If you manually shift the auto when racing, even with a good tune, it will have a lag or pause in between gears. If you leave it in drive, you have the option of no pause and even tire-spinning and very hard upshifts.
The only time I have ever manually downshifted mine was whenthe road was slick with ice/snow and then only at a speed low enough for thereto be nothing dramatic, just assisting the brakes a little.I do occasionally turn the OD off if I will be driving at a constant 45-50 mph. Other than that, I let the computer and tune do their thing and it suits me just fine, mainly becauseit was my decision on thetunethat tells the transmission when to upshift and how hard (at w.o.t. anyway).
__________________
06 GT auto, Satin Silver-Flowmaster axlebacks, GMS CAI, Predator Tuner, rear blackout, sportwings shelby rear spoiler
navyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #39
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Location: The High Country
Posts: 3,547
Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Quote:
ORIGINAL: navyscott

Bottom line, get a properly set-up tuner and leave it in "D". If you want to shift that badly, go trade in for a manual. If you manually shift the auto when racing, even with a good tune, it will have a lag or pause in between gears. If you leave it in drive, you have the option of no pause and even tire-spinning and very hard upshifts.
The only time I have ever manually downshifted mine was whenthe road was slick with ice/snow and then only at a speed low enough for thereto be nothing dramatic, just assisting the brakes a little.I do occasionally turn the OD off if I will be driving at a constant 45-50 mph. Other than that, I let the computer and tune do their thing and it suits me just fine, mainly becauseit was my decision on thetunethat tells the transmission when to upshift and how hard.











You are very lucky you didn't spin out downshifting on ice.You seem to not know that a properly set up auto will have neck snapping shifts. No bottom line that I can see.
__________________
2007 GT Coupe Premium Windveil Blue, Born on date...3/07


O ne
B ig
A ss
M istake
A merica
GidyupGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #40
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member
 
grampa_stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT Coupe
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,249
Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Quote:
ORIGINAL: navyscott

Bottom line, get a properly set-up tuner and leave it in "D". If you want to shift that badly, go trade in for a manual. If you manually shift the auto when racing, even with a good tune, it will have a lag or pause in between gears. If you leave it in drive, you have the option of no pause and even tire-spinning and very hard upshifts.
The only time I have ever manually downshifted mine was whenthe road was slick with ice/snow and then only at a speed low enough for thereto be nothing dramatic, just assisting the brakes a little.I do occasionally turn the OD off if I will be driving at a constant 45-50 mph. Other than that, I let the computer and tune do their thing and it suits me just fine, mainly becauseit was my decision on thetunethat tells the transmission when to upshift and how hard.

Your auto stays in a good/torquey rpm when going uphill? Does it also shift into a lower gear automatically
when going downhill to assist braking? Now that's an awesome tune.

BTW: That's got to be one of the worst times to downshift. Rear end can lock-up very easily.
__________________

'07 GT - AT / IUP / Charcoal int / Carbon fiber dash
JLT / SCT Xcal 2 / Bama 91 Race / Eibach Pro / 3.73's
Tint / Shorty / Sequentials / Cervinis side louvers
BFG G-Force SS A/S P255/45-18 / ADR Wheels
BoomTube Crew Member
grampa_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2011, automatic, c6, corvette, gt, it, manual, manually, manuly, mustang, ruin, shift, shifting, tranny, transmission

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you manually shift your automatic? wthalliii 2005 - 2014 Mustangs 32 05-14-2010 12:07 PM
BEST AUTOMATIC TRANNY LAUNCH ? MIAMISTANG2006 GT S197 General Discussion 36 12-13-2007 08:01 AM
Manually shifting an auto 02DKBLUE 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang 13 08-11-2006 03:00 AM
Manually Shifting the Automatic-How Much is ok? PistolPete V6 S197 General Discussion 12 07-28-2005 04:58 PM

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup