Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Please do not say "go buy a manual".

Can you guys help teach me the proper way to shift the stock Automatic tranny in these cars. The concept of shifting the automatic is foreign to me, but I would like to learn the proper way, so that I do not damage the Tranny. I am/will be, looking into purchasing a ratchet style shifter, as more and more of them are released for our cars (a few threads are creeping up here and on other forums).

What are the mechanics of shifting? from what I know, your foot should not come off of the gas when shifting, correct?
I should never be starting from a stop in 2nd or third, right?
When decelerating, should I be downshifting?
When I come to a complete stop, should the car be in 1?
If I am rolling, (never stopping) to make a turn, but at a low speed, should I leave the car in 2?

I'm sure a lot of people are going to say WTF, why do you want to do that, you have an auto, and blah blah. I'd like to have the best of both worlds

Thanks for the help as always guys!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

No real science to it. If you are racing, just start in 1st and go up from there. Watch the tach and shift at around 6000 rpm. Our shifter has sort of a rachet feel to them. They are notchy and "CLICK" into the next gear so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Have the OD off. Don't let off the gas. You aren't driving a stick.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

Coming from someone else that owns an auto..........whats the point? Would this be something that you would do all of the time or just everynow and then?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

When racing, you can stay in the lower gear longer to gain MAX power band instead of upshifting. He may just want to play around.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

vinny our tunes will shift this thing better than we can in a race and it will be MUCH more consistant. Also from reading I've done, it says it's not bad to downshift the car as long as you don't over rev it. At the same time though, I've also read that the auto's run on valves and pressure to shift, and by forcing the car to downshift can be bad and prematurely wear out the valves. Not the best answer and I'm sure someone on here who knows auto's in and out can help more
Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

vinny our tunes will shift this thing better than we can in a race and it will be MUCH more consistant. Also from reading I've done, it says it's not bad to downshift the car as long as you don't over rev it. At the same time though, I've also read that the auto's run on valves and pressure to shift, and by forcing the car to downshift can be bad and prematurely wear out the valves. Not the best answer and I'm sure someone on here who knows auto's in and out can help more

It will shift consistantly, but not at the max power range.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

i'm almost sure with my tunes that it shifts at 6000
Old 01-31-2008, 12:11 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

i'm almost sure with my tunes that it shifts at 6000

Mine will actually stay in gear past the 6000 range. That is why I suggest he shiftat 6000 because staying in that gear any longer is a waste of time.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:51 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

look into something like a tiptonic shifter i think it is called. my mom has one on her cadillac and it is really fun this is how it works. you can either put it in D(drive) and it drives like an auto. or you can throw the shifter over to the right and if you click the shifter up it goes up one gear. down and it goes down a gear. and if you are going like 100 mph and shift it into first, then the car will not throw it into first until it is safe. also not clutch is needed. i think something like this would be your best bet so you dont have to always be shifting you can just use the Drive function. hope this helps
Old 01-31-2008, 01:07 PM
KingKung

if he starts shifting it, its not like he has to do it all the time...since its an auto. and im pretty sure they dont have tiptronic or any kind of semi auto trans. and technically u can start in 2. the car will actually be in 1 and go no higher than 2nd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny