Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 12:43 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default Underdrive pulleys

OK, so everyone knows that these are bolt on horsepower. BUT.... Which ones are good and which ones are bad?
Obviously every web site you go to, their product ( or whoever's product they sell if they are 3rd party ) is absolutely the best. But it appears there is quite a bit of difference between products. One company replaces the water pump pulley while another company replaces the alternator pulley. A thrid company includes BOTH the water pump and the alternator along with the harmonic balancer. Another popular difference is the mass of the harmonic balance. Ranging anywhere between 85% and 92% of the factory harmonic balance. I have also seen several references on Steeda having immediate harmonic problems with the harmonics due to lack of damping with possible long term crank/bearing damage.

So, who is full of harmonic poop, and who isn't? Obviously the knee jerk reaction is go with the brand name ( meaning Steeda ) but there seems to be a lot of contradicting information out there on the differences and claims between all of the manufacturers. If it were one place attacking another, OK, I might think professional jealousy. But there are ALOT of different claims and fingers being pointed in many different directions. UD pulleys is definitely something I want to do to my GT, but for sure don't want to screw up and go with something that is going to do harm.

Comments please....
Old 03-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Loomis
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Underdrive pulleys

Got mine through STEEDA no problems(knock on wood)
Old 03-29-2005, 02:03 PM
silverbullit05
2nd Gear Member

before i bought mine kit from SHM italked to the tech rep at sean hyland motorsport he explain it to me. any ways have had no problem with mine either.
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...stang_gt.shtml
Old 03-29-2005, 02:28 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Not that I don't appreciate the links, but I know "where" to get them. My question is about the differing claims made by companies about which pulley to replace, harmonic resinance in the vehicle after the replacement, harmonic balance mass VS. the original and the long term possible complications due to the differences, etc.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:37 PM
silverbullit05
2nd Gear Member

sorry hawgman i posted that so you could get a # of a SHM tech. i think any thing as close to stock like that harmonic balancer that you can get should be safe in the long run i didn't want to take any chances with my GT. my kit still added power with no sleep lost at night over any long term effects. i have herd that there are harmonic issues with these engines not that they go out just that there have been problems in the past. but talk to a tech rep. casper has stated some thing about it in one of these forums as well.