Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the front sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Default Removing the front sway bar?

Will removing the front sway bar harm my car in any way? I'm going to get the BMR sway bar delete in a few weeks and thought I would sell off my Saleen sway bar to cut costs a bit.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Removing the front sway bar?

Your front end will get some understeer in tight corner racing (or maybe taking a tight turn on the street) but it will in no way harm anything or endanger you. You just can't do spirited turning driving as well as before.

Depending on your goals... You may want to consider Steeda's radiator support. Its $179, and does what BMR's piece does except the Steeda allows you to bolt a sway bar onto it. Its 8lbs, as opposed to the stock 17lbs, so if you ever put a swaybar back on in the future this piece would be perfect. http://www.steeda.com/products/light...pport_s197.php
Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I've only driven mine once since I installed the BMR piece, since I live in the midwest. But, it's definitely streetable. I notice when I hit a bump, my front end wanders slightly. Otherwise, it really doesn't drive any different.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I would not recommend removing the front sway bar
unless you are only going to be driving in a straight line.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It's streetable only if you never drive very hard (except at the drag strip). Depending on what else has been or gets done to the car you could also oversteer. In fact, I'd expect oversteer to be the normal result. Not necessarily an unmanageable amount in dry weather, but there just the same.

Been there, years ago, in a car (4000 lbs, maybe 300 net bhp) that broke a front endlink attachmentduring a moderately paced drive through the hills. IOW, the front bar might as well have not been there at all. Oversteer with the foot off the gas and oversteer when the throttle was eased down going through the turn. Forget about coming off a corner with any real power until you had it pointed and traveling dead straight. And I was the passenger . . .

If you do go through with this, let me suggest getting front tires that are not very grippy as far as corners are concerned. Sounds like you're going for a dragstrip or dragstrip-image car anyway, and the "skinnies" will help keep you out of trouble. Better to let the front slide outin early understeer than to have it plant itself and let the back end come around on you that one time in a thousand that you forgot what the car doesn't like to do any more.

Norm
Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I'm thinking about doing this when I go to the strip in April. It's only a few bolts and the thing comes off.

This seems like it would help in alot of ways, reduce overall weight, reduce front end weight in particular and combined with letting the front end come up in the air more, it puts more weight on the back tires thus helping your 60'.

Am I way off or does this make sense only to me?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Normally, that's what I recommend. Quick and dirty is to just remove one endlink in most cars, although you don't get the full benefit since the weight is still there. Replacing the one-time-use bolts in the S197 might start getting old after a while.

BTW, disconnecting or removing the front sta-bar actually causes engine torque to travel back along the chassis and "re-plant" the RR tire (that driveshaft torque is trying to unload). "Letting the front come up" is only the effect of having much less roll stiffness up front, not the cause of anything. This came up in another thread fairly recently.

Norm
Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
06roushv6
2nd Gear Member

how much for the saleen bar?