Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lopey idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:39 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default lopey idle

What is lopey idle and why is it good - or bad?

E.g the new frpp track key is supposed to allow this.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:50 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

back in the day (like, way back[/i]) having a V8 with a lopey idle meant you had a hot camshaft (long duration/overlap) in it. now that we have variable cam timing, it's mostly for show.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:03 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks but what exactly is it? Is it basically a rough idle? Is there a chance of stalling if idle drops too much?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like a problem? Based on searching it. Still don't know what it actually is though... Why would the track key let you set this rough idle on purpose? Thinking not much knowledge out on this...
Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Its exactly what it sounds like. A rougher sounding idle instead of smooth. Its more sporadic sounding. Its mostly for sound nowadays. Its sounds like old school muscle. Its not a problem. I have aftermarket cams installed that give my 07 lope. Here is a clip of a 2013 w/ track key engaging the lopey idle.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
Its exactly what it sounds like. A rougher sounding idle instead of smooth. Its more sporadic sounding. Its mostly for sound nowadays. Its sounds like old school muscle. Its not a problem. I have aftermarket cams installed that give my 07 lope. Here is a clip of a 2013 w/ track key engaging the lopey idle.

Thank you sir. Excellent!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:43 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

NP. I should have added that I don't know if there's a performance benefit using the track key or not, but with aftermarket cams that add lope, the driving force behind installing them isn't the sound but the power addition. The sound is icing on cake.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:57 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
NP. I should have added that I don't know if there's a performance benefit using the track key or not, but with aftermarket cams that add lope, the driving force behind installing them isn't the sound but the power addition. The sound is icing on cake.
I purchased a 2014 and frrp is releasing a track key like the one for the boss. Does other tune things but the idle is one. Have not heard of anyone that has it yet or reviews but sounds good and should be ford approved. Thanks again for your kind help and the video. Hoping it is like that.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rogan01
Thanks but what exactly is it? Is it basically a rough idle? Is there a chance of stalling if idle drops too much?
The 5.0L engine in the 11+ Mustangs uses a newer technology called Ti-VCT Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing.
Here's an interesting article on the inner workings of the newer 3.7 & 5.0 engines

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/2011...echnology.html

What the track key does (as well as aftermarket tuners) is reprogram the PCM for more spirited driving, different, more aggressive shift points, etc.

Unique to the Ti-VCT technology, tuners are able to overlap the timing on the oem cams, thus producing the "lope" that you hear in the previous video. Older 4v and 3v engines are forced to replace the cams to produce the same effect, since the cams are dependent on working together.

There is no real gain from the overlap (also called a ghost cam) on the 11+ it's all for the "cool factor". Whereas replacing the cams on the older engines will produce HP gains.

Ford Racing does sell the BOSS 302 Intake and Exhaust cams which will give you a slight bump in power...but why spend the $1000 for them when you can have the same sound for $250 =)
Old 05-06-2014, 09:16 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

The idle lope comes from changing the duration of intake and exhaust valve overlap, usually so that the intake valve stays open a little longer and or the exhaust valve opens earlier. That's easy to do on a the 5.0 (with the computer) because the intake and exhaust cams are separate. On a pushrod engine, there's only one cam that controls all of the intake and exhaust valves, so the cam has to be ground to certain specs to get that type of idle, and once installed, the only way you can change it is to change the cam.

There are two ways you can get a lope in your idle - change the cams, and/or apply a "ghost cam" tune. If you're only after the sound, get the tune. If you want an actual boost in power, get the cams.

Quick Reply: lopey idle