Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 05 Mustang with a Rusty Crankshaft Pulley Wheel???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 03:11 PM
RiceRocketToMustang

Default New 05 Mustang with a Rusty Crankshaft Pulley Wheel???

Has anyone else with a new 2005 mustang GT noticed that their crankshaft pulley wheel is totally rusted? If you open the hood, look straight down, you'll see the crankshaft wheel.

It just doesn't seem right that any RUST should be on any engine part of a NEW car. Rust eats metal.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:13 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: New 05 Mustang with a Rusty Crankshaft Pulley Wheel???

Not just there. Look under the rear end of your car. Better yet, take a wheel off and look behind the shields behind your rotors.
Mine is a complete rust bucket. And if it is something that does not rust ( i.e. aluminum ) it is covered in oxidation. I have been to two different Ford dealerships and asked the same quesiton to both.... How does a car that was built 4 months ago have this much rust on it. Both places reassured me that there was nothing to be concerned over, it was normal... I say Bull $hit.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:07 PM
RiceRocketToMustang

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Not just there. Look under the rear end of your car. Better yet, take a wheel off and look behind the shields behind your rotors.
Mine is a complete rust bucket. And if it is something that does not rust ( i.e. aluminum ) it is covered in oxidation. I have been to two different Ford dealerships and asked the same quesiton to both.... How does a car that was built 4 months ago have this much rust on it. Both places reassured me that there was nothing to be concerned over, it was normal... I say Bull $hit.
Very scary indeed. I wonder if Ford stored your car in an area that had a flood and they just shipped it afterwards without checking for damages. (Mine was assembled Jan 05).

Just think how much rust will accumulate after one year. Scary how this quick rusting could begin to eat at the metal causing seal leaks and metal weakening after a few years.

I'll look under the car tonight. I plan to take it in for its gas tank and 1000 shaker replacement later this week and see what crap they hand me about the rust. I thought the new mustang quality was much improved. The problem is Ford still has the same careless assemblers putting the 05 mustang together. The rusted parts should have some sort of protective paint on them and not bare steel. Buy American? Yeah right.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

OK....

I'm one of those guys who will trade out cars every 3 or 4 years. MANY of my new cars came with rusted parts. Rusted parts are NOT at all unusual. (Even my current BMW 325ci Convertible has rusted undercarriage parts.

NOW... they clean the parts prior to sending to the assembly line (god forbid the assemblers get their hands dirty.)

When I say clean… I mean REALLY CLEAN... totally degreased. So there is NO protective coating on the parts whatsoever.

When the parts are installed on the line they are nice and shiny.

After that it is simple physics.

Care to experiment. Take a piece of steel, sand it nice and shiny and make sure it is free of all grease and oil. THEN, put it outside. (They store the cars outdoors!)

The nice shiny piece of steel should be thoroughly rust coated inside of 5 days.

Now. Ford could paint or put a protective coating on EVERYTHING. BUT... that would jack up the price of the car another grand or so. Or… you can clean and paint all the exposed stuff for $100 and a few hours of your own time.

God bless sand blasters!

Old 04-04-2005, 07:47 PM
RiceRocketToMustang

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

OK....

I'm one of those guys who will trade out cars every 3 or 4 years. MANY of my new cars came with rusted parts. Rusted parts are NOT at all unusual. (Even my current BMW 325ci Convertible has rusted undercarriage parts.

NOW... they clean the parts prior to sending to the assembly line (god forbid the assemblers get their hands dirty.)

When I say clean… I mean REALLY CLEAN... totally degreased. So there is NO protective coating on the parts whatsoever.

When the parts are installed on the line they are nice and shiny.

After that it is simple physics.

Care to experiment. Take a piece of steel, sand it nice and shiny and make sure it is free of all grease and oil. THEN, put it outside. (They store the cars outdoors!)

The nice shiny piece of steel should be thoroughly rust coated inside of 5 days.

Now. Ford could paint or put a protective coating on EVERYTHING. BUT... that would jack up the price of the car another grand or so. Or… you can clean and paint all the exposed stuff for $100 and a few hours of your own time.

God bless sand blasters!
What about:

Just think how much rust will accumulate after one year. Scary how this quick rusting could begin to eat at the metal causing seal leaks and metal weakening after a few years.

Let Ford fork out $100 and a few hours of their time to protect the rusting steel. They can take it out of the $30k+ I gave them.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Minor surface rust is normal. My beater, a 1991 Cavalier had rust like what you describe when it only a month old. It is still there, hasn't become any worse. I live in Edmonton, Canada where we have very harsh winters. The car has been driven every winter and it's difficult to impossible to keep a car clean in the winter here. I do all my own work on the car , in fact I was under there yesterday to change the oil. The undercarraige looks the same as it did when it was a month old.
So I wouldn't worry about it. The quality of metal they use these days is much better than it was for example back in the sixties when cars rusted like crazy. You have nothing to worrry about.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:59 PM
RiceRocketToMustang

ORIGINAL: 281GT

Minor surface rust is normal. My beater, a 1991 Cavalier had rust like what you describe when it only a month old. It is still there, hasn't become any worse. I live in Edmonton, Canada where we have very harsh winters. The car has been driven every winter and it's difficult to impossible to keep a car clean in the winter here. I do all my own work on the car , in fact I was under there yesterday to change the oil. The undercarraige looks the same as it did when it was a month old.
So I wouldn't worry about it. The quality of metal they use these days is much better than it was for example back in the sixties when cars rusted like crazy. You have nothing to worrry about.
Thanks 281GT. I think I still want it noted by the service department when I take it for my records.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Dare
1st Gear Member

Would any of you guys bother spraying some stuff underneath? I've seen special spray can rust protection that's rubbery. I know it's pointless to put paint over rust though... take hours to clean the surface and you wouldn't get complete coverage without taking the car apart. I think most of the unpainted parts are thick steel and would take 10+ years before it would cause any problems. Body rust is the real concern, but the body seems fully primed and painted with multiple coats.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:35 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

when i took my brakes apart last week to paint the calipers i painted all of the steel inder my car diftubes, brake bounts, backing plate, sway bar mounts. i aslo painted out the yellow overspray on the iner fenters and rear section. looks alot better.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/B5851C8825FA46B79B2B53E0117EF4F9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/46BBE820ECF1485D94654052AFD35B4F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/4DE3F369D31E4DADBC3F81908D50B033.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

after

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/515D44075DC04B9FAA26E1D1B3624CA6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/427AA4E781E34F0798524FA3DE9533C4.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: New 05 Mustang with a Rusty Crankshaft Pulley Wheel???