Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stingers with O/R X-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stingers with O/R X-pipe

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Thanks Tomb. I agree that the MAC's sound deeper than the stingers. It's a different level of sound. The stingers seem to "growl", while the MAC's seem to "groan". However, the stinger growl increases with throttle, but the MAC groan seems to soften with throttle. The stingers also have the smooth tone I like.
ya that was with my o/rh pipe that they diodnt tend to get much louder after 3 grand but now with the x they are insainly loud after 3,000 rpm. (check out the official exhaust thread what the guru said he was almost dead on with his write up with the macs and h then macs with x.) I will get a few clips soon but my car is going into paint and is getting a major make overfrom wheelsto my hole sususpension ,gears and so on, Its all sitting in my closet starung at me [:@]

also if you are going to hold off a day or 2 to add yacatted x I knowBLACKOUT took his slp off and put his borlas back on so I can get a sound clip for you tomorow at the vmpdyno day we are going too, that is if he comes or not but he plans on coming by my place early sunday to do a oil change so ill get ya a clip, he hasAR Lt with catted x but I imagine it wil be pretty similar.

hopefully this rain stop[:@]
Old 03-14-2008, 08:21 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Ok, I've decided to try out the Bassani X-pipe. I'll install it tomorrow and make a video for the thread. I have someone lined up to buy the Bassani X, but I can't pass up the opportunity to try it out while I have it.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:42 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Ok, I've decided to try out the Bassani X-pipe. I'll install it tomorrow and make a video for the thread. I have someone lined up to buy the Bassani X, but I can't pass up the opportunity to try it out while I have it.
cool look forward to the clip
Old 03-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Whiteflash454

ther eis a video on you tube of a guy with the setup i want

BBK LT
BBK Offroad X
Stingers sounds awsome

here i saved u the trouble of searching

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BfTKXzrPp4I
^^ Sounds Awsome!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:20 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Sorry, guys....no video clip.

I installed the Bassani catted X today (what a pain!!!), drove around a few minutes, and then took it off (what an enormous pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! [:@][:@][:@] ).

It sounded ok. It wasn't too loud. I didn't really like the airy sound I could hear while driving with the windows down. It did sound pretty sweet at times, and I could definitely get used to it. The trumpeting was barely noticeable, and as far as I could tell, there was no highway drone. I shifted to 5th going 50mph, and there wasn't any drone. I loved the way it sounded when I'd downshift to 3rd and let the rpms sink.

Problems:

There was an intense rattle. I found out that it was one of the hanger rods contacting a bolt-head in the transmission crossmember. I hammered on it a bit to see if it would bend away, but it wouldn't. I was getting frustrated at this point. I didn't see a way to get that remedied without dismantling the pieces or using a torch to somehow bend it away.

For some reason they made the part of the X-pipe that meets my tailpipes so that my tailpipes fit inside it with a clamp over the top. This was a big pain in the install and uninstall. They should have made it like stock where it meets the tailpipes and then a sleeve clamp covers them both.

The clamps it came with dent the pipes when tightened and makes it extremely difficult to uninstall.

The fact that there are so many peices make fitment difficult and leaking almost assured.

I will never install another midpipe like that one.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the reason I didn't do a video is that it started to rain.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:22 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Sorry, guys....no video clip.

I installed the Bassani catted X today (what a pain!!!), drove around a few minutes, and then took it off (what an enormous pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! [:@][:@][:@] ).

It sounded ok. It wasn't too loud. I didn't really like the airy sound I could hear while driving with the windows down. It did sound pretty sweet at times, and I could definitely get used to it. The trumpeting was barely noticeable, and as far as I could tell, there was no highway drone. I shifted to 5th going 50mph, and there wasn't any drone. I loved the way it sounded when I'd downshift to 3rd and let the rpms sink.

Problems:

There was an intense rattle. I found out that it was one of the hanger rods contacting a bolt-head in the transmission crossmember. I hammered on it a bit to see if it would bend away, but it wouldn't. I was getting frustrated at this point. I didn't see a way to get that remedied without dismantling the pieces or using a torch to somehow bend it away.

For some reason they made the part of the X-pipe that meets my tailpipes so that my tailpipes fit inside it with a clamp over the top. This was a big pain in the install and uninstall. They should have made it like stock where it meets the tailpipes and then a sleeve clamp covers them both.

The clamps it came with dent the pipes when tightened and makes it extremely difficult to uninstall.

The fact that there are so many peices make fitment difficult and leaking almost assured.

I will never install another midpipe like that one.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the reason I didn't do a video is that it started to rain.
dam man sorry to hear that so whats the next step now, drop the bucks for the pro chamber or stick with the stock mid pipe?

atleast you have soembody that is going to buy it off of you already, thats always a plus
Old 03-16-2008, 12:05 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I don't know. What I'm thinking about is a splice-in X-pipe or a splice in Prochamber......or just save my money and stay stock. It's a real pain working underneath the car without a lift.

I hope the guy still buys the Bassani. I offered him a pretty good deal for a pipe that's only been installed and uninstalled. I did have to bend the tips of the X pipe that connect to the tailpipes because the clamps made an indention in the pipes so they didn't want to separate.

I see Brenspeed selling the Pypes splice-in X for $90 and I've seen the FRPP X for about $140. The splice-in prochamber is $275, I think.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
rtracer408
I ♥ Acer

INTERESTING
Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

The guy who was thinking about buying the Bassani catted X-pipe from me has decided to stick with the setup he already has.

So.....

Does anyone want to buy a Bassani catted X-pipe with optional cat-delete pipes included? It was installed, driven for about 3 miles, and uninstalled. Make me an offer. I paid $390 for it brand new from Brenspeed.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:57 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

warmachine, weather here has been terrible. I think prochamber would be the way for you to go, however I'll be honest and tell you that I do get a rattle when the car first starts after that i don't hear it anymore, not sure where it's coming from though. The splice in prochamber maybe a little quieter than the stock h pipe but it'll more than likely be a little deeper. Sorry to hear you didn't like the x pipe. Hopefully I can get some vids up for you shortly