Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Autocross with the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM
jbbatten21

Default First Autocross with the Mustang

Well I took my Stang out for its first Autox today. I had a blast. It was a novice training / test and tune so it was a very laid back environment without the fierce competetion. Once I finally got things figured out to stop the front end from pushing, my numbers got very impressive. My final run was the most impressive, I shaved 12 seconds off my first run and only knocked out one cone, a fence, a trailer, and a bobcat. The back end got loose coming out of the final slalom and did a 180 at about 65mph. Needless to say stock brakes are pretty useless at 65mph headed the wrong direction. With this said, where do you guys go for the best deals on a GT/CS rear bumper? I am trying to decide between GT/CS or just replacing the Roush rear bumper.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: First Autocross with the Mustang

Wow didnt think there was gonna be damage before i entered the thread... atleast youhad fun andit wasa learning experience on theroad coruse... atleast its minor just needs a bumper cover and reinforcment, the gt/cs bumper wont work with the roush exhaust so i would go with a replacment roush bumper, best bet is prolly getting it from the dealer.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

Ok, But,

Did you have fun?

Things can and may happen at those events. I have done some and its a blast. Sorry for your carnage but, it could have been worse right? Nobody hurt, ect.....

Take the good with the bad when having fun..........
Old 03-16-2008, 09:45 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Wow, I thought you were joking until I saw the picture !! LOL

Knock on wood, I've never had a problem at a SCCA event.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
jbbatten21

I had a blast. It was still a great experience regardless of the damage. The first question I had when I got out of the car was "Did anybody see what my time was??" Nobody was hurt, the car was all cosmetic damage, and I will be out there again as soon as I have a new bumper. My goal for using a GT/CS bumper was to use the Roush exhaust with Tips designed for the GT. The Roush tips were damaged slightly in the accident so I don't plan to re-use them. I was under the assumption that the roush exhast had the same exit location as other aftermarket exhaust, just different tips. Any insight on this would be helpful.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

This is the first time i ever autocrossed.....

Autocross Video
Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

yes roush tips are just different tips. They curve inwards and are rectangle. Same location. GT/CS is a cool bumper but I dunno man, I really like the roush due to the unique look and well known name.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:18 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I hope the rear bumper is the only thing you damaged. It looks like you must have hit pretty hard to do that much damage to the rear bumper. I would make sure the frame isn't bent alittle bit. Its good to hear that you still had fun and didnt get hurt.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 PM
jbbatten21

I am having a hard time deciding which bumper to use. I don't like how the Roush will require a stock GT bumper to be cut and then fit the Roush lower insert to it. Not to mention the $330 that the Roush insert costs is ridiculous and thats not with the $170 painted option. I love the lower diffuser look of the GT/CS bumper, but also want to stick with the Roush theme. Here is a video of one of my runs. I ran a 51 sec overall time on this run with no penalties. My final run knocked over 4 seconds off of this run and was much more aggressive. Unfortunately my video guy was in the car with me for that run, so no video. This was the first time I had autocrossed anything as well as the first competition I have ever done with my Mustang. I was impressed overall and can't wait to get back out there.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:51 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Forget the tips.
The Roush exhaust won't work with the CS bumper,because of the different offset from the OEM mufflers.
The Roush is more inwards.
I did a conversion fromBorla (stock location)to Roush and I had to rework the axle back.

Check those pics, it shows the offset problem before and after.

[IMG]local://upfiles/78700/0513CB8F088248EEA5564B1B7E233B6B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/78700/CBCF4DC41E3D43478C146E0DE0B82D68.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: First Autocross with the Mustang