Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impossible to have the key FOB replaced?

Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Impossible to have the key FOB replaced?

it's also a good idea to buy a couple of spare keys, if you have 2 keys and you lose 1 then you'll have to have the dealer cut and program the key for you, we charge $35.00 for the key and $89.95 to program it at the dealership where I work, if you have 2 keys that are already programmed to your car, then you can buy another key or 2 and program them yourself.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: partsbill

I bought 2 extra key fobs when I bought my car, I now have 4 total, you can program up to 6, I also installed this.

punch in a 5 digit code and your doors unlock, within 3 seconds push the 5/6 button and you trunk unlocks.

What is this, what is it called, and how much did it cost you? I feel pretty certain that this is something if reasonably priced, that I would like to install.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bryan
Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Partsbill, I've heard the same thing before that you need two other keys to program one. But, I looked in the owners manual on my 2008 and to program the key it makes no mention of a need of having two keys. Just cycle the key 8 times, blah blah.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Yea. As PartsBill says, it isn't that much. I had to have a lost key/fob replaced, the prices were exactly as he said. Definately cheaper to buy a third spare and program it yourself before you lose one lol
Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

I bought it from the dealer where I work, retails for $85.00, it's a dealer installed keypad which you can install and program yourself.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:48 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Do you need two FOBs to program a third? Or does that only work with the keys?

Because if you only need 1, I'm programming myself like 5 extras now before I go and lose my keys again.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Where would I find something like that as well? Only at the dealership? I did a quick search on ebay but turned up nothing.

Thanks.

Bryan
Old 03-17-2008, 07:52 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThumperMX113

Partsbill, I've heard the same thing before that you need two other keys to program one. But, I looked in the owners manual on my 2008 and to program the key it makes no mention of a need of having two keys. Just cycle the key 8 times, blah blah.

SECTION 419-01B: Anti-Theft — Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS)[/align]

2008 Mustang Workshop Manual[/align]
Key Programming Using Two Programmed Keys
NOTE: This procedure works only if 2 or more programmed ignition keys are available. If 2 programmed keys are not available, NOTE: The SPAREKEY PID must be enabled for this procedure to operate. If this PID is not enabled, refer to Key Programming Switch State Control in this section, then select SPAREKEY programming switch ENABLED. The SPAREKEY PID is set to ENABLE when the vehicle is built.
NOTE: If the programming procedure is successful, the new key(s) will start the vehicle and the anti-theft indicator will prove-out for approximately 3 seconds. If the programming procedure is not successful and the new key(s) does not start the engine, leave the key in the ON position for at least 3 seconds, then turn the key off. Repeat the key programming procedure from Step 1. If the failure repeats, refer to Anti-Theft in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section to review the DTCs and carry out the appropriate pinpoint tests.
NOTE: A maximum of 8 passive anti-theft system (PATS) keys can be programmed into the PCM during this programming procedure, but only if the SPAREKEY PID is ENABLED.
NOTE: A minimum of 2 PATS keys must be programmed into the PCM before the vehicle will start.
NOTE: If the vehicle is in unlimited key mode, this spare key programming procedure still functions. Any 2 keys that can start the vehicle can be used to program an additional unlimited key.
NOTE: If additional keys are to be programmed, and the remaining keys are with the customer, or are not available, instruct the customer to refer to the Owner's Literature for instructions on programming the remaining keys. In either case, the SPAREKEY PID must be enabled.
NOTE: If the steps are not carried out as outlined, the programming procedure will end.
NOTE: Ignition keys must have a correct mechanical key cut for the vehicle and must be PATS encoded keys (contain a transponder).
NOTE: This procedure is not necessary if only the PATS transceiver was replaced. Replacement of the transceiver does not erase the PATS key codes in the PCM.
[ol][*]Insert the 1st programmed key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for a minimum of 3 seconds and less than 10 seconds).[/ol][*]Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the 1st key from the ignition lock cylinder.
[ol][/ol][*]Within 5 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert the 2nd programmed key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for a minimum of 3 seconds and less than 10 seconds).
[ol][/ol][*]Turn the 2nd key to the OFF position and remove the key from the ignition lock cylinder.
[ol][/ol][*]Within 10 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert the unprogrammed key (the new key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position (maintain the key in the ON position for a minimum of 3 seconds and less than 10 seconds).
[ol][/ol][*]If it is desired to program additional key(s) (only up to 8 keys total can be programmed into the PCM), repeat Steps 1 - 5 for each additional key that needs to be programmed.
[ol][/ol][*]Start the vehicle with the new key(s).
[ol][/ol]
Old 03-17-2008, 07:54 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ensign_lee

Do you need two FOBs to program a third? Or does that only work with the keys?

Because if you only need 1, I'm programming myself like 5 extras now before I go and lose my keys again.
the key fob is no problem to program, you could actually lost both key fobs and still buy 1and program it yourself.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:54 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: partsbill

I bought it from the dealer where I work, retails for $85.00, it's a dealer installed keypad which you can install and program yourself.
I have the 7L2Z-14A626-BA with I believe is different than yours.
Anyway, handy gadget.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Impossible to have the key FOB replaced?