Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Owner Thinking about Buying a Mustang GT

Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 AM
firefighter1
1st Gear Member

Default Corvette Owner Thinking about Buying a Mustang GT

Hey,
As the title states I currently own a 96 LT-4 Vette that I'm presently trying to sell. I'm a fan of all American muscle. I had a 99 Mustang GT before the Vette, and although under powered it never, ever gave me one single problem!! I was going to move up to a 98/99 Vette, but also noticed the prices of 05 GT's are very similar, andin some cases cheaper (I'm in Ontario, so prices are a little different then the U.S.) The issue I'm facing is with a budget of $20K-$22K the 98-ish Vettes are going to have quite a bit of mileage on them and the fact that they're 10 years old they could use some work. The Mustang's are going to have a lot less mileage and also are a lot newer.I'm fully aware it's like comparing apples to oranges, so this is by no means a "which one would you prefer" thread, since this is afterall a Mustang forum!!Like I stated above, I'm an American Muscle car fan, so I respect all cars the same!!I'd be using the car for daily duty driving in the spring, summer and fall months, currently what my 96 Vette is doing. Basically wondering how you folks like driving your GT's.....Likes/Dislikes, possibly any problems you've had to face. Thanks for any feedback!!!
Also, here is one I'm interestedin. I'm a fan of blue!!! Is it Vista or Sonic blue? How does she look?
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...p;adid=6738703
Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Corvette Owner Thinking about Buying a Mustang GT

I had an '06 Mustang GT and it was great. Her name was Ruby, as in Ruby Red.

It will get looks, cause people to just randomly start a conversation about it, it drives well. It is made for a daily driver, and works great as one and has the ability to kick you in the pants as well. Has a back seat and trunk space. Go test drive one andI think you will see it would be great for driving every day. [8D]

- C

ps. well since you edited yours after I posted, go check out my gallery for Vista blue on my '08 Shelby GT
Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 AM
firefighter1
1st Gear Member

Wow! That is one beautiful ride you have there!That is one thing I would like to do. I have yet to drive one. I've sat in a couple and they were really nice. A lot different then the Vette, but there two different animals. That's one thing I really like about the Mustang is it seems like it would fit the bill with daily driving. The Vette does it fine too, but it also very limited!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 AM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

If you were a little closer to me in Kentucky I would have a great deal for you. My wife is selling her Sebring Silver 2000 Corvette Convertible that is fully optioned with every option available including 6 speed manual, magnetic ride, 12 Cd changer. She is selling it for $25,000 and it has about 50,000 miles on it. She's had it for about 4 years and has never had a problem with it. We have driven it about 10,000 in the last 4 years. It really flys.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 AM
longhorn341

Some of the knownproblems with the mustang are spark plugs fusing to the head, water leaks, and the infamous lack of moleskin in the door windows. Having said that, I love my mustang and the only problem I have had through 25k miles is the moleskin issue. Its a great car and a blast to drive. On the other hand, my wife drives a '94 vette and loves it. If you are looking at a C-5, you can't go wrong there either. The thing with a C-5 vette is that it can be a '98 or '99, and people don't realize it is nearly 10 years old. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either choice. Drive both, and go from there![sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

The c5 vettes are wicked quick and cops have a very hard time hitting them with radar and laser if you keep the headlights down. The mustangs sound better with exhaust for some reason. If you want all out performance, get the vette. If you want something that is a little less flashy and has back seats and real trunk space, get a stang. Either way you are getting a sweet ride, so its not that big of a decision.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:36 PM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

not sure, but used mustangs might be cheaper in USA. Are you near Detroit? Here is a link to used 2005-2008 mustangs in the Detroit area.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=&systime=
Old 03-20-2008, 12:50 PM
nofear
1st Gear Member

Put it this way the new corvettes are faster, but many like the way the new mustang drives. i grew up around cars ever since i was a kid. I worked as a mechanic at a local shop since i was 14. From what ive heard people like the new mustang better due to its charteristics. The corvettes feel very large ( not that the new mustangs dont but) ive driven several corvettes and i like the way the mustang feels.
The mustang is not only cheaper but there is a huge aftermarket behind it. so you could personalize ur mustang and make it your own. Both are great cars but the mustang has a trunk, a very size challanged back seat and a million diffrent models and options.
It all depends on you needs/wants and wallet
The new mustang is out standing on its new platform, i think you would be surprised at how well its built and set up compared to the previoud models.
Take a look at both cars and test drive em. I think mustangs still get more glory at least around me they do.
good luck with the new toy
Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
JOHNNYB

ORIGINAL: steveo555

not sure, but used mustangs might be cheaper in USA. Are you near Detroit? Here is a link to used 2005-2008 mustangs in the Detroit area.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=&systime=
1+ this, i dont know if it is an option but a friend of mine just bought a 07gt premium 5speedwith 11k miles on it for slightly under 22K i dont know if it is a regional thing but that seems to be on the low end of the going prices on used stangs around here
Old 03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

My wife's 2000 Corvette has a double K&N air filter and a set of Billy Boat exhaust pipes which are basically straight pipes and it sounds really cool. Link to listen:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-1-119-5067.html

Why is this thread soooo wide?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Owner Thinking about Buying a Mustang GT