Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sub worth putting in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:13 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default sub worth putting in trunk?

hey guys..

for those of you that have a sub in the trunk.. how does it sound?.. does it rattle like a b.tch.. does it sound like **** from the outside?..

i have the oppotunity to buy a alpine amp for dirt cheap and a kicker cvr with a small box also..

so if you guys think it wont sound like complete ****.. then i might pull the trigger..

also, if you have a setup.. post a pic if you can, and let me know how you like it
Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: sub worth putting in trunk?

Oh hell yea! Great question, someone answer I am in the same boat!
Old 03-23-2008, 12:29 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

I think it was well worth it. On the inside, it'll sound great, but the outside will rattle like **** if you don't have any sound deadener. It was mainly the trunk lid for me. I have it with the stock HU, but just got an Alpine CDA-9885 and I'm gonna install it Monday. It'll be pushing my front aftermarket Kenwood speakers.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:35 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GstangT

I think it was well worth it. On the inside, it'll sound great, but the outside will rattle like **** if you don't have any sound deadener. It was mainly the trunk lid for me. I have it with the stock HU, but just got an Alpine CDA-9885 and I'm gonna install it Monday. It'll be pushing my front aftermarket Kenwood speakers.
What kinda set-up do you got? 10's or 12's? I want some decent bass but, nothing overexagerated or that'll rattle insanely LOL.... I dont wanna do the Dynamat route so I've been wondering if its worth it as well..
Old 03-23-2008, 12:48 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

you have alot of questions.

A sub will eventually rattle any car apart.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:51 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

I only have 1 12". The Scosche custom box/sub. If you even want a decent setup, it'll rattle.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:55 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

It will sound good from the inside but once you get on the outside you trunk will rattle like a bitc h. Put some dynamat in and see how that works for ya.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:35 AM
BADH0RSE
1st Gear Member

OH, HELL YEAH, IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!! But, you got to do it right.

My mustang had the Skipper 500 system.

I recently upgraded (did it all on my own) to an Alpine system.

System Components:
[ul][*]Alpine IVA-W205 HU / IPOD / Video / Satellite radio / Navigation / Bluetooth / PAC-7 bypass[*]Alpine PDX-4.100 amplifier powering 4 Infinity Reference Component 6X8 speakers[*]Alpine PDX-1.600 amplifier powering a single 12" alpine type R subwoofer mounted on a MTX Thunderform enclosure (got rid of the cheap 12" MTX sub; still utilizing the original 8" door subs)[*]Dynamat Extreme installed in the trunk, under the rear seat, floors and doors.[*]PA Performance 200 AMP alternator[*]Optima yellow top battery[/ul]
The key to quality soundare the components and how they work together and Dynamat dramatically improves the quality of the acoustics and keeps your car from rattling. The outside sound in extensivley decreased even if thesystem's volume is cranked high. You really got to use this stuff!!

I always look forward to driving my Mustang. It is totally bitchin! I will take pictures of my install and post them soon. Let me know if you need any advice.

Good Luck!
BADH0RSE

Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 AM
2007Grabber
2nd Gear Member

I have a system in my baby and love it. I don't have rattle inside or out, but I did it right and I did it by myslef. I am running the stock single disc head unit with a Precision Power 5 chanel amp. I used a cheaper lighter form of dynamat in the doors just around the Diamond D3 speakers and in the trunk and around the rear speakers. I have the Scosche 12" sub with a custom painted grille and I also painted the amp to match my car. It gets alot of compliments. Especially when someone listens to it. I love the fact that from just looking in the car you see nothing that would lead you to think that there is a system. I mainly use myMP3 playerfor my source of music that plugs into the aux plug in the armrest. TheMP3 playerhas a 5 band equalizer that makes the sound very adjustable. Here's some pics.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 AM
cobraa99
2nd Gear Member

what and where did you get that sub box..i like the fit in the trunk

Quick Reply: sub worth putting in trunk?