Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do stock brakes last?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How long do stock brakes last?

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

What about those of us with manual transmissions? Many of us use neutral then brake to stop rather than downshifting. How long will the pads hold up in those conditions?
TRUE! my car has 50K but they were probably changed with the previous owner
Old 03-27-2008, 10:06 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I changed mine at 20K for the hell of it and they were thick as new
Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Flatline1980

hehe.. more variables than ya know folks.. lol.. How you use the brakes is probally the biggest factor..

Nextly, things you won't see.. All depends how the brake pad cures out.. Sometimes you'll get airbubbles in the mix to make the break pad and the air bubble isn't noticeable during production.. Here latley is not as been bad..

Whats used on the production Mustang and on the F150is a NAO mix called 505.. High friggin dollar brakes.. They are easier on the rotters and won't leave the black film on the rims.. Most your NAO's won't leave this black dust film.. Longs the brake says its a Ceramic Type brake, your good to go.. Any Metallic break will leave the black film..

Any questions about brakes, i'll try to answer them the best i can.. No i'm not trying to come off as a Know-It-All.. I been doing this for the last 6 years.. I work at THE largest friction plant.. The company makes OE and AM stuff for car companys.. hehe..

Thought i'd drop some info.. Maybe someone will find it useful..

You know I didn't even think about this until you mentioned it. Our cars dont have brake dust like every other I've ever owned! Wow... I mean, even M3's and high priced imports have brake dust. I can't believe Ford invested money for this NAO mix on Mustangs when they're trying to cut costs everywhere else. Pretty cool though.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 AM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

Ya I had to change mine at 20k because the front rotors warped. I used them alot though -- I drive like a hooligan.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Qusus
ORIGINAL: Flatline1980
hehe.. more variables than ya know folks.. lol.. How you use the brakes is probally the biggest factor..

Nextly, things you won't see.. All depends how the brake pad cures out.. Sometimes you'll get airbubbles in the mix to make the break pad and the air bubble isn't noticeable during production.. Here latley is not as been bad..

Whats used on the production Mustang and on the F150is a NAO mix called 505.. High friggin dollar brakes.. They are easier on the rotters and won't leave the black film on the rims.. Most your NAO's won't leave this black dust film.. Longs the brake says its a Ceramic Type brake, your good to go.. Any Metallic break will leave the black film..

Any questions about brakes, i'll try to answer them the best i can.. No i'm not trying to come off as a Know-It-All.. I been doing this for the last 6 years.. I work at THE largest friction plant.. The company makes OE and AM stuff for car companys.. hehe..

Thought i'd drop some info.. Maybe someone will find it useful..
You know I didn't even think about this until you mentioned it. Our cars dont have brake dust like every other I've ever owned! Wow... I mean, even M3's and high priced imports have brake dust. I can't believe Ford invested money for this NAO mix on Mustangs when they're trying to cut costs everywhere else. Pretty cool though.
What are you talking about?
I have to clean Brake dust like crazy

I won't even take a picture of my car unless I've cleaned the dust off the rims
Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

What really? Huh... I've never had brake dust yet? Then again I've only driven about 4K miles on the car and it's rained quite a bit...
Old 03-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

it does come off with just a micro-fiber polishing cloth

but it makes the rims look greyer and not as nice

I just spent 30 min cleaning them the other day and as I was going I could see the difference
Old 03-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

here's just the dust I missed the first time over yesterday
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f.../100_0340b.jpg
Old 03-28-2008, 02:29 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Like so many have said it depends on the way you drive and how often you use the brakes. Hawk pads are great replacements and it is real easy to replace the pads and turn the rotors in your own driveway! JMO J
Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 AM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Read my post above yours...

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

What about those of us with manual transmissions? Many of us use neutral then brake to stop rather than downshifting. How long will the pads hold up in those conditions?

Quick Reply: How long do stock brakes last?