Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your favorite/least favorite exhaust set up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:53 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What's your favorite/least favorite exhaust set up?

Just when you thought this thread was about to die.....

So, many of you are going ga-ga over the MAC LT, Prochamber, MAC axleback videos.
Well, here's a sound that I think tops it. It doesn't sound good at first, but when the car is finally out of the garage and warmed up it sounds almost exactly like the 2v.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8S5_sUu5K8

I still wonder what it sounds like with stingers. The Pypes mid-muffs are a little more high-pitched than stingers.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 PM
jaxbelleil
2nd Gear Member

great info guys thanks, about how much do they run?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
MD07gtcs
1st Gear Member

My favorateis the Pypes mid muffler.
Stock = least
Old 04-09-2008, 04:45 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Have only had my Pypes mid-muffler for a little while and like them.
Although they are quieter than I had wished, so I'm hoping with their catted X-pipe it will be better.
And if I still need more volume, I can pop out the cats, and replace with the supplied piece of straight pipe.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:02 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

quote]ORIGINAL: AK_Kayaker

Have only had my Pypes mid-muffler for a little while and like them.
Although they are quieter than I had wished, so I'm hoping with their catted X-pipe it will be better.
And if I still need more volume, I can pop out the cats, and replace with the supplied piece of straight pipe.
[/quote]

dont bother with a catted mid pipe you wil end up just spending more money and taking them off, here is a clip with o/r x and MM set up.

warmachine that car does sound pretty sweet but still think the mac set up with pro chamber is alot more like the old sound. the Mm system isnt very deep by any means, loud yes but deep no. The stock macs sound even more like the old sound cause they have that hollow noise to them.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Just when you thought this thread was about to die.....

So, many of you are going ga-ga over the MAC LT, Prochamber, MAC axleback videos.
Well, here's a sound that I think tops it. It doesn't sound good at first, but when the car is finally out of the garage and warmed up it sounds almost exactly like the 2v.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8S5_sUu5K8

I still wonder what it sounds like with stingers. The Pypes mid-muffs are a little more high-pitched than stingers.
ive heard the arh headers/catted x and stingers in person...fairly loud but also very clean. I'm going that route this summer
Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Thought you were going with LT's, offroad prochamber, stingers?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Check it out. I got my pypes mid muffler system in today. It looks GREAT! and they included some sweet stickers for the toolbox and a really cool pypes hat. After living with my MAC's for about two weeks now, I have to say, I LOVE these mufflers. They would be completely perfect if they just didn't have that trumpet at 2.5k-3k rpm. That's when my powerband kicks in for christs sake! I have to hear that freakin' noise (and I do mean NOISE). Other than that, they are soooo deep. The plastic parts in my car rattle with the deepness. I really love that and don't plan on giving it up.My plan is to pipe in the pypes resonators along with the MAC axle backs. If everything goes as planned this will be the PERFECT exhaust setup for the S197. IMO, of course.

If it wasn't for this damn place called a J-O-B I have to go to every day and spend 8-10 hours I'd do the install now. Unfortunately I wasn't born a trust fund kid and have to wait till this weekend to install. lol! here are some pics of my current/future system:

[IMG]local://upfiles/73912/B181D09F0618460BB5E6D06B54A17700.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/73912/56D81218F1BB4455B2919B97FDDF072F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I love my Tri-ax. Much better than the Hurst I had.

It's not that I care so much about what others think, but when the o/r pipe was so obnoxiously, embarrassingly loud in the cabin because of the trumpeting, I can only imagine how it sounded outside to other people. There's a guy around town who has an old Camaro, and he runs it up and down my street sometimes. The thing is REALLY LOUD, but it seems really slow at the same time. That's what I'm talking about. The volume should in some way match the speed. I like to have control of my car's volume. If I'm going slow, it should be quieter, but if I decide to really punch it, it should wake the neighbors.

I'm not really looking for more volume than I already have, but I am looking for a particular tone. I think headers and catted prochamber is what I'm looking for, but I have never heard one catted, and I've never heard one with headers...short or long. I'm thinking about shorty headers, prochamber, and high-flow cats.

Measily compared to what a very loud exhaust makes you think the car might be able to do.

I've always thought it was a little embarrassing to have a muscle car with a "4-point-anything" V8. People ask me, "Hey, what's your car got, a 351 or 302?" I say...no, no...it's only a 281. There'a always the feeling of disappointment or pity because it's not a 300ci engine.
Man I REALLY like telling folks when they ask me the silly question "what's under the hood" duh!!! I just say a "little 281". They look at me like I'm stupid but I know better lol. Small cubes rev FASTER and HIGHER!!!! I learned that back in the 454 vs. 327 days....
Old 04-09-2008, 09:30 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

Hahaha! You know I like to tease you, Onederful100!
HAHA you say something like this after you ask me if I needed to edit my post in another thread...haha
lol. i love these exhaust threads, much like the SC which one is better threads. everyone thinks theirs is the best. but these forums would be no fun w/out conflict, that's what makes it interesting.and1 last thing before i go:
BOOMTUBES FTW!!!

Quick Reply: What's your favorite/least favorite exhaust set up?