Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"2 DTC" P0340 and P0344

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: "2 DTC" P0340 and P0344

Cheft, here's what happened to me. I had the same P0340 code come up and I cleared it every time. It started just once every day, then turned into every car ride. My car still ran perfectly fine, so i ignored the problem. One day I had the heat turned high, lights on, radio on loud and rear defrost. As soon as i applied my brakes and turn signal, my battery drained and my radio displayed "low power". Luckily I was just a few blocks from home. When i got home, i disconnected the battery to clear the memory and then tried to restart the car. Everything looked fine. The battery reading was normal but as soon as i turned on anything that used electrical power, the voltage meter would show a drain on my battery. I took it to a ex ford machanic that looked at it for 3 hours. We measured voltage readings from every sensor. the end result was the alternator was outputting only 7 volts. We switched out the alternator only, and everything worked like new after that. I didn't have to change any sensors or wiring harness. I also bought the GL920 from rockauto.com. Ford put a bad alternator in the 05 and 06 cars. The high revs will cause the alternators toshort out.
I think you should just replace the alternator eith the GL920. Its a very simple install. Remove the TB and intake, 4 bolts hold on the alternator. Plug in the new one and screw everything back in. Less than 1 hour. I really dont believe its the sensors cos so many people have complained about P0340 and they all changed their sensors and then realized it was the alternator not the sensors.
Good luck, let me know if this helps.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Hey TJ I will be back in town in a few days if ya need some help...
Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jersey Stang

I'm another victim to the P0340 code. Turns out 99% of the time its a bad alternator. something about the stock 05 and 06 alternator crapping out on high revs. Ford recommends replacing it with motorcraft GL920 135 amp ($395 at rockauto.com). I thought about upgrading to200 amp, but then i foundout it requires new wiring harness to hold the extra amps. Ford should put a recall on this problem but since it is not a safety issue, they will probably ignore it and hope the alternators die after 36,000 miles.
$395 for an alternator? God damn that's expensive. I take it that's a brand new one. I've only replaced one alternator in my time and of course I got a refurbed one. I've never had a trouble code on my car, but it's only got 19k on the clock.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I'm another victim to the P0340 code. Turns out 99% of the time its a bad alternator. something about the stock 05 and 06 alternator crapping out on high revs. Ford recommends replacing it with motorcraft GL920 135 amp ($395 at rockauto.com). I thought about upgrading to200 amp, but then i foundout it requires new wiring harness to hold the extra amps. Ford should put a recall on this problem but since it is not a safety issue, they will probably ignore it and hope the alternators die after 36,000 miles.
$395 for an alternator? God damn that's expensive. I take it that's a brand new one. I've only replaced one alternator in my time and of course I got a refurbed one. I've never had a trouble code on my car, but it's only got 19k on the clock.
yeah its brand new...I have a company looking to get it cheaper for me..I am waiting..I am off all next week so I will just park the car anyhow and then do it...yeah the trouble codes sometimes are there and sometimes are not....I am the lucky ones.....
Old 04-04-2008, 02:01 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Cheft, here's what happened to me. I had the same P0340 code come up and I cleared it every time. It started just once every day, then turned into every car ride. My car still ran perfectly fine, so i ignored the problem. One day I had the heat turned high, lights on, radio on loud and rear defrost. As soon as i applied my brakes and turn signal, my battery drained and my radio displayed "low power". Luckily I was just a few blocks from home. When i got home, i disconnected the battery to clear the memory and then tried to restart the car. Everything looked fine. The battery reading was normal but as soon as i turned on anything that used electrical power, the voltage meter would show a drain on my battery. I took it to a ex ford machanic that looked at it for 3 hours. We measured voltage readings from every sensor. the end result was the alternator was outputting only 7 volts. We switched out the alternator only, and everything worked like new after that. I didn't have to change any sensors or wiring harness. I also bought the GL920 from rockauto.com. Ford put a bad alternator in the 05 and 06 cars. The high revs will cause the alternators toshort out.
I think you should just replace the alternator eith the GL920. Its a very simple install. Remove the TB and intake, 4 bolts hold on the alternator. Plug in the new one and screw everything back in. Less than 1 hour. I really dont believe its the sensors cos so many people have complained about P0340 and they all changed their sensors and then realized it was the alternator not the sensors.
Good luck, let me know if this helps.
Yeah my install will be a little different that yours.....Saleen supercharger and all with the alternator reveresed etc,....have to change pulleys out etc..JDM is sending me the alternator pulley tool./..they are also checking if they can get me the alternator cheaper as well using their discount with them....thanks again for everything....TJ
Old 04-04-2008, 02:03 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

Hey TJ I will be back in town in a few days if ya need some help...
hey Bruce...I might need your help.... I believe I will need to get an air impact gun due to the pulleys on the alternator need to be changed out and it calls for a air impact gun to remove along with the alternator pulley remover tool JDM is sending me...I know all else I need is a 1/2 " breaker bar...whcih I need to buy anyhow incase I ever have to replace a belt..I need to do this as much as possible to get used to changing the belts....good practice....thx again..TJ
Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I have an impact wrench if needed...