Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"2 DTC" P0340 and P0344

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default "2 DTC" P0340 and P0344

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent
Ok, So I got both these codes..last year I got the p0340 in the summer when it was hot and most felt it was the alternator. I did not replace the alt, then one day came out and my battery was dead...so I replaced the battery and it was fine up until a couple weeks ago the p0340 code came out on a really hot day...cleared the code...and no issues until last night...then p0340....cleared it and started car today and drove it to work..it has no issues running at all..but CEL came on again..read DTC and got 2 codes this time p0340 and p0344...so do I just replace the alternator already? how hard is it to replace..I have the saleen Supercharger on it..any help is greatly appreciated...(by the way..warranty is expired so going to dealership really not an option and they probably would not cover anyway due to saleen s/c moves alternator location and they would try to blame that) also if I do replace alternator,,,,where to get...thx[/align]
Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: "2 DTC" P0340 and P0344

it's hard to say if the alternator is really
bad, without looking at the DC voltage
output with an oscilliscope.

something interesting i noted (for the DTC), is
the possibility of interference from other devices
(how about an alternator )

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/6B6FA07938244E8482BE044B4376F9C7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

interesting..I looked at my alternator...noticed the red wire that connects to it is worn away and some metal is exposed,,,the only thing that is touching it is the saleen extreme intake boot (its rubber) anyone that is not aware...saleen reverses the alternator so it is upside down and it puts the wire in a precarious situation. the fix is to CLOCK the alternator..but I will be totally honest...I am a puss when it comes to f...ing with something like that....so I did not...again..the car runs fine...no backfires...no hiccups...nothing....just this code (2 codes)....I will fix that red wirebut still cant believe that would be the culprit.....if not..where does one get a new alternator for the s197 without paying $600-700?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

are they close to each other? what else can interfere...where is the f....ing camshaft position sensor located...maybe my electric fuel pressure guage is near it and that can be causing the interferrence? anyone??I am thinking its the alternator just with last years issue and the battery dying etc...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

When my red alternator wire was fried I did not get any codes but my battery lamp on the dash came on. My wire was fried hanging on by 2 tiny threads of wires. Luckily for me my alternator was still good. If you have the car running you should be able to disconnect the battery and the car should run off alternator power. If it doesn't it probably is a bad alternator. Pulling the alternator off is really easy just loosenthe alternator bracket screws and pull it off. I'd remove the tension from the belt and take the belt off. If you ever have to change your belt you will have to pull the alternator off so this is a good time for practice.

just an fyi, Autozone could not test my alternator since they did not have that model in their computer
Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck
ORIGINAL: hammeron

are they close to each other? what else can interfere...where is the f....ing camshaft position sensor located...maybe my electric fuel pressure guage is near it and that can be causing the interferrence? anyone??I am thinking its the alternator just with last years issue and the battery dying etc...
no the fuel pressure guage would not deal with enough current to interfere

the Alt is probobly the only thing that could cause enough electrical interference
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
frd06GT
2nd Gear Member

Ok, So I got both these codes..last year I got the p0340 in the summer when it was hot and most felt it was the alternator. I did not replace the alt, then one day came out and my battery was dead...so I replaced the battery and it was fine up until a couple weeks ago the p0340 code came out on a really hot day...cleared the code...and no issues until last night...then p0340....cleared it and started car today and drove it to work..it has no issues running at all..but CEL came on again..read DTC and got 2 codes this time p0340 and p0344...so do I just replace the alternator already? how hard is it to replace..I have the saleen Supercharger on it..any help is greatly appreciated...(by the way..warranty is expired so going to dealership really not an option and they probably would not cover anyway due to saleen s/c moves alternator location and they would try to blame that) also if I do replace alternator,,,,where to get...thx[/align]
I'm glad you posted this, I have the same codes and I took it in for analternator (per TSB)on Friday and I STILL have the both codes! The dealer cleared the codes and the come back the next time I start it. I loaded the stock calibration, still codes, reloaded the 93 tune, still codes.

The dealer is like WTF! I hope an alt. fixes yours, but beware that it may not. I will post up the results from this weeks visit, shooting for Thursday.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frd06GT
I'm glad you posted this, I have the same codes and I took it in for analternator (per TSB)on Friday and I STILL have the both codes! The dealer cleared the codes and the come back the next time I start it. I loaded the stock calibration, still codes, reloaded the 93 tune, still codes.

The dealer is like WTF! I hope an alt. fixes yours, but beware that it may not. I will post up the results from this weeks visit, shooting for Thursday.
you know the sensor could have gone bad

the ALT can mess with the sensor but I bet if the sensor was bad you'd also get the codes
Old 03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

this image will show where the camshaft sensors
are.....if i had to guess, i would say that if it
is interference, it could be coming in anywhere
along the wiring harness (between the sensor
and the PCM)

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/3680768500774DE2AFFD008349F76097.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-31-2008, 11:32 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

thanks for that post I always wondered what those small square things were stuck to the posts on each side of the motor. Small square blocks with a thin wire conneting them.

Quick Reply: "2 DTC" P0340 and P0344