Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 Twin 65mm Throttle Body Upgrade to your GT, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:08 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT500 Twin 65mm Throttle Body Upgrade to your GT, anyone?

For NA cars they dont help at all, for FI cars only if they run 12+ psi it "might" work a bit, but for the money, i'd get a single blade TB that is prooven to work much better with high HP aplications.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:19 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

If you have F/I the TB will benefit you because it will allow more air. There were issues with some t/b installs but I atttribute some of that to diy installers not getting the spring set right, because there are alot of people who have them and never had any problems. JMO
Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 PM
cartel
2nd Gear Member

Ok Guys, I must say thanks alot......But I'm not a profesional Mechanic, and some of your abreviations are killing me...lol...What the heck is a FI Engine? CMCD? CMDP? and LTs?......Geeshhhh

TB=Throttle Body
CAI=Cold Air Intake
Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cartel

Ok Guys, I must say thanks alot......But I'm not a profesional Mechanic, and some of your abreviations are killing me...lol...What the heck is a FI Engine? CMCD? CMDP? and LTs?......Geeshhhh

TB=Throttle Body
CAI=Cold Air Intake
FI = Forced Induction: Turbocharged, supercharged.
CMDP = Charge Motion Delete Plates.
LT = Long Tube headers.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli
ORIGINAL: cartel

TB=Throttle Body
CAI=Cold Air Intake
FI = Forced Induction: Turbocharged, supercharged.
CMDP = Charge Motion Delete Plates.
LT = Long Tube headers.
thats nothing check this out
https://mustangforums.com/m_4556104/tm.htm
Old 04-08-2008, 05:38 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

There is a TB offered by Adam at ST motorsports that flow 1600cfm and is a monoblade. Modaddict and sawyer can tell you more about that but seems to be the only worth while upgrade after 15psi on a TS S/C as the S/C itself (whipple) seem that the blower can move more air than the TB itself and that is the weak point! JMO but do not buy at this time! J
Old 04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

The setup Adam sells is a monoblade Black Diamond. It comes in two flavors: 1600 CFM and 2000 CFM (overkill)
Adam has some custom intake manifolds\intake kitsfor the KB in which he has adapted this throttle body upgrade to their manifold and he also hasthe TBsfitting Whipples where he moves the intake to the Bumper Kenne Bell style. I think the KB setup is like 1400 including the TB, manifold and intake tube. You send him your core after the manifold change.
I am doing this upgrade soon.
I dont know the price for the Whipple but I have talked to Adam at length about this setup for th KB.
The Black Diamond TB wont just bolt up toany intakefor most twin-screws oreven thestock plastic manifold. Adam at ST did a lot of fabrication to create these packages for his customers.
Kenne Bell is releasing theirgiant throttle body and mammoth air intake in a just few weeks. This will be available for 2.6 and 2.8 KBs and will be about 2000 dollars for the whole upgrade.
Jim Bell usually does some nice engineering on his stuff!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:13 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

keep you green, until you make that machine real mean!!!!!!!!! otherwise, mostly problems,,,,fwih
Old 04-19-2014, 03:47 AM
NativeAmericanMuscle

So would the BBK 07-09 65MM GT500 Throttle Body work with my setup on my 4.6L with the Ford Racing High Performance Manifold?
I got a GT500 Airaid CAI, Comp Cams, Comp. LT Hooker headers, O/R X pipe, ST3 Hi flow CNC Ported Trick Flow Heads, and a Stroker kit soon. I plan on makeing a N/A beast
Old 04-19-2014, 06:40 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NativeAmericanMuscle
So would the BBK 07-09 65MM GT500 Throttle Body work with my setup on my 4.6L with the Ford Racing High Performance Manifold?
I got a GT500 Airaid CAI, Comp Cams, Comp. LT Hooker headers, O/R X pipe, ST3 Hi flow CNC Ported Trick Flow Heads, and a Stroker kit soon. I plan on makeing a N/A beast
Wow, a 6 y/o thread resurrected!

Even with your mods, the GT500 TB would not provide any useful gains. The stock TB can handle more flow than a mildly modded engine can use. Would it hurt? No, but I don't think the gain (if any) justifies the expense and, on occasion, trouble.

Quick Reply: GT500 Twin 65mm Throttle Body Upgrade to your GT, anyone?