Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mr. clean auto dry

Old 04-13-2008, 10:59 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: mr. clean auto dry

I had one, and did not like it at all. Because:

- Have to buy special filters to get the de-ionized water out of the machine.
- Have to buy their soap, which I found way too agressive
- The whole thing is simply more hassle than it was worth, to use it, to set it up, and more stuff to buy to keep it going.

I found that a good quality car soap, clean bucket, and proper sponge worked far better, was quicker and was easier.A water blade and either microfiber or cotton towels beat it out.

I say no.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

For crevices and such, I always use a leaf blower.
Just a suggestion, the leaf blower isnot such a good idea. A leaf blower has no filter, and you are blowing any dust, sand or whatever which gets sucked into the intake at high speed right at your beautiful paint.

There are companies that sell a filtered air blower. I found the idea of a blower interesting, but more than what I need, since a good towel blotting the drips works as good.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I agree. I don't use it when it's warm, but when it's cold or I have to leave quickly, I use the leaf blower to prevent spots and streaks. Even then, I don't use it on the whole car, just the grill, mirror housing, etc... But now that you mention it, I think I'll create some kind of filter for it. Shouldn't be difficult. The intake already has a bezel on it.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:49 PM
boomer123
3rd Gear Member

I'll tell you right now, i saw that dam commercial for Mr. clean and it looked like the best thing to ever come my way so i went to target and purchased one. I tried it the next day and it didnt do shi*t! Biggest waste of 60 bucks or w/e it was of my life. The problem is, if you dont have soft water, it doesnt help very much at all. But in my opinion, if you have soft water in the first place it shouldnt be to hard to wash your car anyways
Old 04-13-2008, 01:06 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking of the Mr Clean, but my water's pretty soft, and I also thought...

I have a brushless car wash 1 minute from my house, 11 bucks, I stay dry, 10 mins out of my life ( unless the line is longer) Done!

My car is silver,its not a 1 of 1 1960 Ferrari, and it stays outside year round in NJ anyway, (no garage here). So, I'm not too **** about the car washes. Here's a question, its an '06, can I wax it yet, or does the paint still have to cure??? LOL If I'm up to it, maybe I'll wax it this summer, unless some more imortant stuff gets in the way, like driving it. If I do wash it myself, I'll use a bucket, sponge, some cheap car wash liquid, and an ol' thirsty bath towel!!....Just bustin' guys, I'm real basic with my car, although I'm big on mech. maintenance.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:40 PM
shockme76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pnut

I had one, and did not like it at all. Because:

- Have to buy special filters to get the de-ionized water out of the machine.
- Have to buy their soap, which I found way too agressive
- The whole thing is simply more hassle than it was worth, to use it, to set it up, and more stuff to buy to keep it going.

I found that a good quality car soap, clean bucket, and proper sponge worked far better, was quicker and was easier.A water blade and either microfiber or cotton towels beat it out.

I say no.

+1

I used it for awhile and the soap is horrible. I noticed it would leave streaks down the side of my car even though i thoroughly rinsed it off. It also left a nasty film on the surface. It's not a very good product IMO. The only good thing about it is it's filtration but doesn't make it worth it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it especially on our nice Stangs. Nothing beats a good hand wash and dry.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:26 PM
mbw919

+1 on the Absorber. Found mine at Walmart.I also rigged up a garden hose faucet from our water softener and the soft water leaves way less spots than our hard water (lots of iron). The hard water also left a film on our windows. Some of my motorcycling friends swear by the Mr. Clean auto dry, but Ididn't want to be stuck buying their refills when I already had soft water running through the house.

Vehicles we wash regularly:

'08 Mustang, vapor
'07 F-150 FX4, silver
'05 Jeep Liberty Renegade, black
'06 Honda 599, black
'03 Honda 919, smoke (matte gray)