Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got ticket last night for loud exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:37 AM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I got ticket last night for loud exhaust

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

That's total Bull$hit. Take a picture of your mufflers and go to court. Make an argument that it does have mufflers and get that ticket dropped. I say again, "do not pay the fu9king ticket. If you have too show them the mufflers in the parking lot. That's fu8king bull$hit.
This is pretty bad advice...you are giving advice based off of emotion and that never ends good. He can take all the pics of his exhaust that he wants, law says the exhaust can not be louder than a specific decibal.

Yes you were probably pulled for the noise and in reality he was looking for a DUI because the exhaust gives him probable cause to make the stop to see if you were drunk.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:42 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

you got me on that one.

you want some good advice?

if you like taking chances you can set a court date and see if the officer shows up. if he does immediately go to the prosecutor or bailiff or whoever and say i want to plead no contest and pay.

but like you said, then you miss out on work. hardly worth it.

there isalways one guy who likes to bragabout howhe took it to court and won. well, they are the minority by far! don't take my word for anything i'm saying, go to a traffic court in any county and just watch. 99.99% of the people lose and end up worse off financially for it. "i fought the law and law won" was a popular song because people could relate to it. there is no market for a song titled "i fought the law and i won"... too few people can relate to that song...

$25 is chump change. i always looked at speeding fines as a tariff. if i was speeding around all year and only got caught once, i'm paying $150 a year to drive as fast as i want.

when i started getting 2-3 per year, i slowed down!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

So, does this cop pull over every loud Harley or crotch rocket? I never understood the double standard. They do the same thing in my town. I'm just lucky to not have been pulled over yet.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

That's total Bull$hit. Take a picture of your mufflers and go to court. Make an argument that it does have mufflers and get that ticket dropped. I say again, "do not pay the fu9king ticket. If you have too show them the mufflers in the parking lot. That's fu8king bull$hit.
How old are you Daniel? The real world doesn't work like you think. I don't know the noise laws in Illinois, but i'm willing to bet his car wouldn't pass. You'd have him paying a lot larger fine and probably get his car impounded.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timothyrw

this is terrible advice.

you forgot to mention that civil infractions require a standard of proof termed preponderence of the evidence. that means 51%.

that means the state only needs to proveyou more likely then not violated the law.

no evidence? the officer's testimony is evidence!

and if it comes down to he said vs. he said, guess who isgonna win?

and guess who's gonna end up paying court costs and a possibly increased fine?

all over $25 when he is guilty in the first place?!

i've got illegal tint on my car. it's ILLEGAL! if i get pulled over for it am i gonna bitch and complain? no. it's illegal! it's a chance i take.

when i get a speeding ticket i pay it. i took a chance, i got caught. i'm not going to go on about how the world is out to get me and cops have nothing better to do... it IS what they do!

good grief... get over it!
I wanna be this guys friend.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

don't fight it man. It's $25, it's not much. Why lose $180 at work over a $25 ticket?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Eric261
2nd Gear Member

Pshh You can look at it that way but rules were meant to be broken depends on how you look at it. I feel as though I should be able to have an exhaust system on my car or turbo or w/e I want if I want to it's only ILLEGAL because they say its ILLEGAL. Why take it up the @ss from just because some cop is bored yea its only 25 bucks but lets say you get a reckless driving ticket in Virginia your just gonna be found guilty and thats it jsut cuz u took a chance and got caught? I rather ATLEAST try to be the system.... mind you a reckless driving ticket in VA is 1000+ dollars and they do hit ppl with it all the time I rather keep my 1000++ dollars thank you...

[quote]ORIGINAL: timothyrw

this is terrible advice.

you forgot to mention that civil infractions require a standard of proof termed preponderence of the evidence. that means 51%.

that means the state only needs to proveyou more likely then not violated the law.

no evidence? the officer's testimony is evidence!

and if it comes down to he said vs. he said, guess who isgonna win?

and guess who's gonna end up paying court costs and a possibly increased fine?

all over $25 when he is guilty in the first place?!

i've got illegal tint on my car. it's ILLEGAL! if i get pulled over for it am i gonna bitch and complain? no. it's illegal! it's a chance i take.

when i get a speeding ticket i pay it. i took a chance, i got caught. i'm not going to go on about how the world is out to get me and cops have nothing better to do... it IS what they do!

good grief... get over it!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:59 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

fight it!
write a letter to the court. provide all paperwork for safety inspection, emissions, receipt for mufflers. explain that they are mid mufflers. and i'll bet the cop did not take a decible reading, so there is no objective proof that it is too loud. how loud is too loud? a certain decible level, then tell me how many decibles my car was making at that particular point in time. it is up to the cop to prove your in the wrong and back it up w/ concrete proof, and he doesnt have it. otherwise they could give anyone a ticket if they so choose to say it was too loud. prove it.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Look up the law in your state!

For Example - in Illinois, the law states exhaust noise can not be more then 97db @ 30 feet - - I beat 2 tickets on this one as my car was only 90db @ 30ft. All it took was a Radio Shack Noise Meter.

But... In Missouri is it outright illegal to alter your exhaust - and that includes replacing your mufflers with anything other then OEM replacement parts. so in MO your not going to get out of an Exhaust Noise ticket because by the law, it is solely up to the officers judgement if your exhaust is too loud or not and his testimony will stand up in court.

IF you do want to fight it, you might shoot for the technicality that the Officer put "No Mufflers" when you actually did have them, meaning the officer never looked under your car, and the information on the ticket is in error... .... .... often, if any information on the ticket is wrong, the whole ticket becomes wrong and is tossed out.

So, check what the law is, and then make your choice if you really want to fight it. Also - is it a moving violation involving points - if it is not.. it isn't worth the fight!

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blue 05 Mustang

I got ticket last night around midnight for loud exhaust.[:@] The cop said he pulled me over because he can hear my exhaust 3 blocks down. My XXX[sm=smiley35.gif], you were bored looking for a dui. The ticket says “Muffler loud excessive noise no muffler”. How can a car have no muffler have muffler loud excessive noise, and I do have mufflers, two. This really **** me off. At lest it only a $25. [sm=chairshot.gif]

I’ve had the exhaust on for 3 week. I love the way they sound so I don’t want to replace them. Is they any way of quitting down my MM. Any help would be appreciated.
you can fight that ticket... well depending were you live.. in florida a frinend of mine argued his car was a v8 and its expected to sound that loud on the highway (was on the turnpike) and got alway with it, feel bad for the 4 bangers tho lol the ones that sound well >.>

Quick Reply: I got ticket last night for loud exhaust