Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hail Damage

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:33 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

Default Hail Damage

I got caught in a hail storm on the way home from work today and I have never in my life seen hail come down like that. I have mud on the roof from the sheer amount of hail that came down and hit the ground causing dirt and grass to fly onto the car (while I was parked on the side of the highway waiting for a break). I could barely get going after it stopped because the road was completely covered in hail. They were only about 1/4" to 1/2" diameter but the amount of them was just mind boggling.

I already called my insurance and the body shop. It sounds like they don't really total out a car just for hail damage, but I don't think ANY amount of money will make it look new again. The hood and trunk can be replaced, but the roof & fenders are all dented up too.

Oh, and yesterday was my birthday too, wonderful. It just figures the one time I have a car that I really care for and would do anything for, get's hit like that. I'll be damned if I will keep paying what I am for a damaged car. I sent in my first payment this morning too. I guess I'm just looking for some sympathy.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Red69Sportsroof
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hail Damage

Sorry to hear about this, and especially on your birthday. If the insurance company will not total the car, they should step up to the plate and pay for what ever it takes to make it brand new again. Now is the time to really pick out some great color that is different from all the others! Cheer up, many people go through a lot worse than a dented car.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:54 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I am glad to be alive, but dang! How much bad luck can a guy have? If I would have left 10 mins sooner I would have been fine, it didn't even hail at all at my house.

I just have no idea how they could even fix it. They said they do paintless dent repair, basically popping them out one at a time, but there are hundreds of them, I could walk around it over and over and find new ones each time. Some of them are so tiny you can only see them from certain angles, how the heck can they pop those out? I don't want 100 little dents that they couldn't get out to make the car look like it's made out liquid metal.

You gave me a glimmer of hope that at least I could get a cool custom paint color out of the deal, but they said that they don't even have to repaint the car.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Red69Sportsroof
2nd Gear Member

You would be surprised what they can do with dents. The smaller the dent the easier they are to repair - so I've been told. Your insurance company is required to bring that car back to it's former condition. Since it's a new vehicle - that means it has to be perfect.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:09 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

"Perfect" That sounds good to me.

Thanks man, I really hope so. You're making me feel better already. Maybe I won't go get smashed tonight[&:]
Old 04-18-2005, 09:42 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

I know a guy who does PDR for a living. If the paint is not damaged, he can take out every single dent. I have seen his work and I would bet you a case of your favorite adult beverage that you will not be able to detect where the dents were located. Find a guy in your area and have him pop those dents back in place!!

If you don't mind could you tell me what part of the U.S you are located. This guy travels all over the U.S. doing this PDR stuff. He has even been overseas repairing hundreds of VW's as they were damaged at the factory.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 09:42 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

Here's another pic, keep in mind I just washed it yesterday, so it was spotless before the hail hit, and that is mud, even though it looks like dust or hard water stains in the pic.

I'm in Nebraska. The dealership does body repair and was one of the places recommended by State Farm.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13830/D6E655C94A664E50BFB29E14DD294832.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-18-2005, 09:45 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Sorry to hear that man. Truly sucks....
Old 04-18-2005, 09:52 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

The guy I know does PDR at a location in Omaha. He is currently in Tulsa Oklahoma working. He lives in Kansas. He was in Omaha not too long ago finishing up hail damaged vehicles from the last storm. My understanding is that he works with the insurance companies as well.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:16 PM
jelam
2nd Gear Member

dude that sucks at least it's not totaled and yeah they should be able to make it look like it never happend

Quick Reply: Hail Damage