Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

talk me into a manual :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:12 PM
JC Turbo
1st Gear Member

Default talk me into a manual :)

well im searchin around fo rthe right S197 for me, but ive been looking at autos and im wondering if im really missing out. i like autos, but manuals are fun too im just not that great.

from what ive read autos can withstand arouns 450hp 400trq ?

what about manuals? will it save me $$ downt he road of modding if i get the 5mt ?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:20 PM
boochy
CSMG Moderator

Default RE: talk me into a manual :)

ORIGINAL: JC Turbo

well im searchin around fo rthe right S197 for me, but ive been looking at autos and im wondering if im really missing out. i like autos, but manuals are fun too im just not that great.
I sucked at riding a bike when I was younger, but I practiced and became better.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

they are more fun, cost less, get less power lost on its way to the wheels, and save on gas

buy a manual [8D]
Old 04-19-2008, 11:24 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

The Mustang manual is one of the easiest you'll ever drive. The new autos are very consistant with a good tune, though. That said, you can't dump the clutch, or put a Hurst in it.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

it really depends on the driving conditions you live in. if you live in an area with long open roads and streets, a manual is the way to go. if you're living in a heavily congested area with traffic all over, an auto is the way to go. I live in NYC and this is the consideration I took.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:40 PM
JC Turbo
1st Gear Member

and what kind of power can the stock manuals hold without upgrading? or at what time do you just need a stronger clutch?

i live in the suburbs outside philly, so traffic isnt terrible. i just hope i wont get sick or tired of it if i go that route.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 PM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

you drive a manual, you're just along for the ride in auto
Old 04-20-2008, 12:06 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JC Turbo

and what kind of power can the stock manuals hold without upgrading? or at what time do you just need a stronger clutch?

i live in the suburbs outside philly, so traffic isnt terrible. i just hope i wont get sick or tired of it if i go that route.
You won't get tired of a manual unless you are in bumper to bumper traffic all day long but they are soo much fun and eventually driving a manual will almost become second nature and you won't even think about it
Old 04-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SonicBlue05GT

you drive a manual, you're just along for the ride in auto
+1
Old 04-20-2008, 12:49 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Manuals are very simply more fun to drive than autos.

My Mustang was my first manual ever, and although I had an almost laughably difficult time getting any good at it, after a short while everything was fine and I was having tons of fun with my new car. I now enjoy driving a manual so much that I can imagine ever buying an automatic again.

Even if traffic, manuals are just way more enjoyable to drive. If you like to drink coffee or mess with your cell phone or eat breakfast while driving, an auto might be the way to go, but other than that, definitely go with the stick.

You're much more "in-tune" with the car, controlling the engine and what the car is doing at any given point than with an auto, and it's honestly just a much more enjoyable driving experience.

I initially wanted an auto (because I didn't know how to drive stick), but in hindsight, I'm extremely glad I went with the manual transmission. Time will make you good with the manual, and the initial learning curve is definitely worth the trouble once you get decent at it.

Quick Reply: talk me into a manual :)