Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with the stock wheel/tire combo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:21 PM
dukenitro
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What's up with the stock wheel/tire combo?

The reason for this combo is as follows.

THIS ISN't a friggin RICER. This is supposed to be a remake of the 65-67ish style. In those days they had a high Muscle car stance ie: taller tires. Back then they lifted cars, NOT lowered them. Hence those stipid twist in spring expanders (for any of you who know what those are). Also air shocks were big back then too. The way to really make the car look mean is wider in rear.

My style of rim only came in a 8 inch width or I would have went wider, but they still look fly.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Since 90% of the Stangs here seem to have custom rims why would Ford bother to offer any options on rims in the first place? Although it seems if Ford was more on the ball they'd have associations with all the aftermarket suppliers and provide that stuff, installed, on delivery. The profit on aftermarket rims has got to be higher than their stock rims. Well I guess that's why their stock and credit ratings are in the sh*tter.
Keep your fingers crossed that they will improve things soon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/C9DA24050649445093C729FD8B21FC18.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-24-2005, 01:54 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

I'm keeping my stock rims.. I like the looks and there are toehr things I can spend 2K on. I think I will go with 255 in front and maybe be the first to put 275 on the back,... if I can...
Old 04-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

Man, you guys are in left field on this one. Rims and tires are carefully thought out components of a vehicle. There are many considerations that go into what Ford chooses to use on the Mustang. Cost, replacement tire cost, availabilty of the manufactorer, fuel economy, acceleration & performance, fit, looks, and probley alot of other stuff I dont know about.

All you guys sticking wide tires and rims with the incorrect offset will be complaning when you start losing paint off the quarter panels. If Ford did that, you would all be in demanding warrenty work to fix the damaged paint.

It all comes back to oem in the end. Most restored or nice orginial Mustangs have stock rims. I bought GT rims for my V6, Im keeping the 16s for use as winter rims or I may try to fit them on a Ranger or something later on.

The only aftermarket rims I would consider is something like a Crager SS, but it would be in a stock size.

But, to each his own.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:45 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lizardking

Man, you guys are in left field on this one. Rims and tires are carefully thought out components of a vehicle. There are many considerations that go into what Ford chooses to use on the Mustang. Cost, replacement tire cost, availabilty of the manufactorer, fuel economy, acceleration & performance, fit, looks, and probley alot of other stuff I dont know about.

All you guys sticking wide tires and rims with the incorrect offset will be complaning when you start losing paint off the quarter panels. If Ford did that, you would all be in demanding warrenty work to fix the damaged paint.

It all comes back to oem in the end. Most restored or nice orginial Mustangs have stock rims. I bought GT rims for my V6, Im keeping the 16s for use as winter rims or I may try to fit them on a Ranger or something later on.

The only aftermarket rims I would consider is something like a Crager SS, but it would be in a stock size.

But, to each his own.
I like the stock 17" wheels but I'd like a slightly more "hunkered" down look. If I used the Eibach Pro-kit to lower the car, what would be a good alternative tire size for the stock wheels...

John
Old 04-24-2005, 03:18 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

agreed.. I'm not going to go for the 20 inch bling bling wheels.. I just need a little more rubber touching the ground when I add in the porcharger. 525hp on 235s is not going to cut it... but would make burn outs fun...hehehe