Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling to the right when mash on brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default Pulling to the right when mash on brakes?

hello peoplee..

so i have started noticing that when i mash on the brakes, as in like, if i dont press this hard, i will go trhough the light that just turned yellow and is about to turn red type deal..

and i have noticed that my car is pulling to the right like bad, not like lane changing bad, but like.. it turns the steering wheel and deffinately pulls.. i also notice this slightly on moderate braking..

now heres some info that i know your going to ask for......
2007, 17k miles, rarely use the brakes (i slow down wiht my engine since i can, with my manual) and have PLENTY of pad left..

could this be a warped rotor? a defect somewhere? should i swich to the hawk pads? i have heard ppl say that the breaking really improved when they switched over, is this true?..

thanks for any/all info..
-GTstang
Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pulling to the right when mash on brakes?

Isn't it bad to slow down with your engine like that?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

Yah, the way I was always taught/told was that your brakes are heck of a lot cheaper than clutch/transmission/engine and saving wear on brakes at sacrifice of the other is not the best decision...?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:02 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

i was always taught by my step dad who has owned over 60 cars, (and not just toyota camrys and nissan altimas, but im talking about porshe's, aston martin, masserati, etc.) (by the way not trying to brag in ANY way at all... infact i hate bringing that up.. ) but anyways.. he has always told me that it keeps everything tight.. the only harm i can see it doing is POSSIBLY pre maturely wearing the clutch.. but with our synchro's and how its built today, i dont see how it could hurt the tranny.

but it is a good point about pads being cheaper than the other things that "could" go wrong..

Old 05-06-2008, 05:58 AM
michaellefebvre

mine pulls to the left, when it does pull , always left.
but itonly pulls now and again, not always?!?
pressure is same in front tires.
i figured its some kind of uneveness in the front brakes,
and/orthe warped roads i drive on.
car is due for it's first dealer brake inspection anyway.
going to get it looked at this month.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 AM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

i was always taught by my step dad who has owned over 60 cars, (and not just toyota camrys and nissan altimas, but im talking about porshe's, aston martin, masserati, etc.) (by the way not trying to brag in ANY way at all... infact i hate bringing that up.. ) but anyways.. he has always told me that it keeps everything tight.. the only harm i can see it doing is POSSIBLY pre maturely wearing the clutch.. but with our synchro's and how its built today, i dont see how it could hurt the tranny.

but it is a good point about pads being cheaper than the other things that "could" go wrong..

we get the point [8D]
Old 05-06-2008, 07:59 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

well mine pulls to the left but i cant do anything as far as warranty goes since i went with drilled/slotted rotors....

im sure someone here knows the solution....
Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Could be one of a fewthings.

- Tire pressure low on one side
- Suspension joint worn/loose
- Alignment issue
- Shock (strut) tired
- Brake pads worn unevenly
- Uneven wear on front tires (if perhaps you swapped out a front tire for some reason)
Old 05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

There is nothing wrong with engine braking if you do it right. I personally like being in the right gear for the speed I'm going. To me that's one of the main benefits of the manual tranny. I've only ever driven manuals and have downshifted while braking in every one of them. Never had any clutch or transmission problems and some of these cars were run for 60k miles plus while being driven like that.
If you are just stepping on the clutch or putting it in neutral and then riding the brakes, just hope you don't need to get on the gas in a hurry for any reason.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Correct instruction on manual gearbox techniques includes the use of engine braking. Incorrect or insufficient use of engine braking isa test failure in most European countries. (This isn't a Euro versus US thing, it's about manual gearbox techniques)

Anybody who's ever driven on a road course, or even regularly fast on twisty roads, will atest as to how important engine braking is.

On a related side note, it just mortifies me whenI see in-car videos of people who knock their manual gearbox into neutral following a high speed run (and then give the stick the mandatory 7 side-to-side swings to check (Can't they remember where it is?)). That is SUCH a bad idea. No engine braking and the driven wheels lose control and the weight distribution of the car goes all wallowy instead of being forced to thefront or back (accel/deaccel).

Did you ever try to crunch a car back into gear from neutral at high speed? It's nasty.

Quick Reply: Pulling to the right when mash on brakes?