Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking and Mold and Your Health! Lawsuit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Leaking and Mold and Your Health! Lawsuit?

I have a question for anyone with the leak issue (I dont have it) Do you know where it leakes? has any shop or ford pinpointed the location? If so wouldnt 5 dollars of window cauking fix it? Juat a thought
Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 AM
rasguedo

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

I have a question for anyone with the leak issue (I dont have it) Do you know where it leakes? has any shop or ford pinpointed the location? If so wouldnt 5 dollars of window cauking fix it? Juat a thought
leak thread https://mustangforums.com/m_2076816/tm.htm
https://mustangforums.com/m_2121401/tm.htm

Many places have been identified as potential leak sources. Quick answer to your question. No.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:44 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rasguedo

Mold can grow anywhere there is a moist environment. In the doors, dashboard... etc...all of these places are pretty difficult to get to. Furthermore who wants to replace the carpet everytime you get a leak.. Some of us are on 3+ times at the dealership for a leak that seems to not be able to be fixed on the first try.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about the leak - my car has it also. But I can't see mold growing on metal unless it's continually wet. Inside the doors is supposed to get wet - that's why there are drain holes in the bottom. As long as an area doesn't STAY wet it won't grow mold. Carpet and fabric stay wet much longer than metal sincethey absorb moisture. Just playing devils advocate, but it seems to me Ford can just say they will handle the mold issue by replacing the carpet and padding (and possibly fabric seat covers if affected). Of course that assumes they fixed the leak in the first place - THAT is the real issue. I don't think the mold thing will stand up. Just my $.02

FYI: http://www.traskresearch.com/mold_in_car.htm. No mention of metal surfaces in that article.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 AM
rasguedo

ORIGINAL: richmod

Mold can grow anywhere there is a moist environment. In the doors, dashboard... etc...all of these places are pretty difficult to get to. Furthermore who wants to replace the carpet everytime you get a leak.. Some of us are on 3+ times at the dealership for a leak that seems to not be able to be fixed on the first try.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about the leak - my car has it also. But I can't see mold growing on metal unless it's continually wet. Inside the doors is supposed to get wet - that's why there are drain holes in the bottom. As long as an area doesn't STAY wet it won't grow mold. Carpet and fabric stay wet much longer than metal sincethey absorb moisture. Just playing devils advocate, but it seems to me Ford can just say they will handle the mold issue by replacing the carpet and padding (and possibly fabric seat covers if affected). Of course that assumes they fixed the leak in the first place - THAT is the real issue. I don't think the mold thing will stand up. Just my $.02

FYI: http://www.traskresearch.com/mold_in_car.htm. No mention of metal surfaces in that article.
Mold does grow on metal (brass turning green is actually a mold), however I understand your point. Problem with mold is that once it is present the spores can go dormant until the right conditions exist. They also travel through the air. I am by no means a mold expert! lol. However I know this problem needs to be addressed.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:44 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I just thought it wasthe underdash
water dispensor option I didnt order or want....
Mold kills.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:51 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Glad i never drive it in the rain!!!![]

Ouch..good luck
Old 05-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Mold does grow on metal (brass turning green is actually a mold)...
Wrong. Thats not mold it's oxidation. Oxidation can be caused by water. Brass is an alloy of Copper and Tin.The copperoxidizes in the presence of oxygen in water. Cu+H20 = CuO[Copper Oxide]+ 2H. CuO is green in color.Don't believe everything you read on the Interweb.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:32 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hicompression

Mold does grow on metal (brass turning green is actually a mold)...
Wrong. Thats not mold it's oxidation. Oxidation can be caused by water. Brass is an alloy of Copper and Tin.The copperoxidizes in the presence of oxygen in water. Cu+H20 = CuO[Copper Oxide]+ 2H. CuO is green in color.Don't believe everything you read on the Interweb.

+1: http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_18...verdigris.html

Anyway, not trying to give youa hard time rasguedo. I absolutely agree that the water leak need to be handled better by Ford. I'm just not sure if the mold argument is gonna fly when it does seempossible to remove it completely in a car. getting Ford to actually do that is a diferent matter altogether.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 AM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

My car was delivered with a bad mold issue, which I had fixed thanks to the info on this great forum. Be aware there is a new Ford TSB on the leak problem so you now have a leg to stand on at the dealership

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...sb07-14-06.pdf