Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT in - now about a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:01 AM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT in - now about a tune?

I received the xcal today and want to tune the car. I have the JLT CAI tune and a tune that will include a few things that I don't presently have on the car. How do I add to the JLT cai tune from the internet with the wheels 18"?

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:21 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: SCT in - now about a tune?

take it to a trusty performance shop and let a savy guy put in his own program. they are a lot more agressive with the afr and timing than a steeda program will be. i have a post under 4.6L V8 about the tuning that you might want to look at (i think it is called steeda tune). it may cost you another 100 bucks but you will be much happier with it.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GWFoos

I received the xcal today and want to tune the car. I have the JLT CAI tune and a tune that will include a few things that I don't presently have on the car. How do I add to the JLT cai tune from the internet with the wheels 18"?

Thanks.
If you have the PC cable you can adjust for the wheels yourself. Also you can adjust your rev limit and take your speed limit on and off.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:58 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

I just got off the phone with the SCT folks and they determined that I must be the 1 in a 1000 that gets the defective cable. I tried to program the xcal with the custom tune, which the tuning tweaks went fine, but when I tried to put the tune into the xcal I got this: "ERROR - XCAL loopback failed". I spent 30 minutes on the phone with the DTP folks in VA then the SCT folks and the end result is they are sending me a new PC cable.

Guy at SCT was very helpful and courteous, so I don't feel as bad as I might. In addition, my SHM underdrive pulleys are still on back order a month later, so I have to wait for those before the dyno.

Just a man seeing the silver lining to an otherwise aggravating problem. []
Old 04-27-2005, 06:55 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

I just got off the phone with the SCT folks and they determined that I must be the 1 in a 1000 that gets the defective cable. I tried to program the xcal with the custom tune, which the tuning tweaks went fine, but when I tried to put the tune into the xcal I got this: "ERROR - XCAL loopback failed". I spent 30 minutes on the phone with the DTP folks in VA then the SCT folks and the end result is they are sending me a new PC cable.

Guy at SCT was very helpful and courteous, so I don't feel as bad as I might. In addition, my SHM underdrive pulleys are still on back order a month later, so I have to wait for those before the dyno.

Just a man seeing the silver lining to an otherwise aggravating problem. []
Did you try changing your port? I had to use port 4 before my loop back worked. Every computer is different.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:52 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

Did you try changing your port?
Yes. I tried everything. The guy from SCT went over everything with me on the phone including reboot, changing/reconfiguring the COM ports, etc. The power is on, but nobody is home!

It's a little frustrating that after 3 weeks of waiting to get it, I get a faulty cord or whatever the problem is with it. I asked the pointed question, which was this: If the new cord doesn't work, then what do I do or what is the problem? The response was that it would be my computer. Of all the things this guy said, which were very helpful, this statement was not. My work affords me the luxury of a top-o-the-line laptop, which I know handles the configurations set forth in the SCT flash programs.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:28 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

Did you try changing your port?
Yes. I tried everything. The guy from SCT went over everything with me on the phone including reboot, changing/reconfiguring the COM ports, etc. The power is on, but nobody is home!

It's a little frustrating that after 3 weeks of waiting to get it, I get a faulty cord or whatever the problem is with it. I asked the pointed question, which was this: If the new cord doesn't work, then what do I do or what is the problem? The response was that it would be my computer. Of all the things this guy said, which were very helpful, this statement was not. My work affords me the luxury of a top-o-the-line laptop, which I know handles the configurations set forth in the SCT flash programs.
Have you looked at the serial end of your OBD II plug? Mine looks like someone broke off about three or so pins with a pair of pliers. If this is how they made up the computer cable I understand why your having problems.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:19 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

No problem with the pins. I work with computers every day and the guy at SCT really knew what he was doing and between the two of us, we couldn't find anything. There were no blemishes, cuts, etc. to the outside of the cable or pins and the power was able to come on. Baffling.