Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about rear window louvers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 AM
2007_Stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Lets talk about rear window louvers.

Well I have the Astra Hammond aluminum louvers and I love the looks of them, but like others have said the coating is a little thin for my liking but I'll have them painted this fall to match my car. I also have to agree with the rattle, but mine starts at 50-60mph. I have to deal with the wonderful Kansas wind all the time so it may be a little different situation than their's. I would however like to know how Nuke got them to stop rattling with the weather stripping on the brackets though. The cleaning isn't bad for me but I usually only take them off once a month along with my roush side louvers to clean the windows, so it's not much of a hassle to do every now and then. By the way +1 on the comment about keeping the car cooler. After I installed my louvers my car was quite a bit cooler in the summer, as well as in the winter i never had to clean off my rear window because the snow wouldn't pile up on the louvers like it would on the bare window. If you'd like any more info or some pics of them let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

P.S.-Nuke could you post pics or PM me how you fixed your rattle problem??? It'd be greatly appriciated
Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

I personally like the mrt ones they just look smooth
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

hesrs a view out the back with astra hammonds

I should have shot from the rearview mirror (this is a few inches lower), but oh well

anyway, yes leo, the MRTs are smooth... and that is my problem with them. to each his own though
Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 AM
executioner
1st Gear Member

Hate to be a PITA but can someone with the Astras post a closer pic of how the louvers line up across the top roof line. Looking from the doors back at the top of the louvers. Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007_Stang

... P.S.-Nuke could you post pics or PM me how you fixed your rattle problem??? It'd be greatly appriciated
I'm still working on it. I added some thin sweather striping to the 90 degree support brackets that turn to go up to the next horizontal louver (you can sorta see that in Joolanders pic from the inside). This is most likely where I'M getting what sounds like glass-to-metal tapping. I'll try to get some good close-up pics the next time I remove them but it won't be for awhile. I'm heading to Chicago again this weekend.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

ORIGINAL: Nuke

ORIGINAL: 2007_Stang

... P.S.-Nuke could you post pics or PM me how you fixed your rattle problem??? It'd be greatly appriciated
I'm still working on it. I added some thin sweather striping to the 90 degree support brackets that turn to go up to the next horizontal louver (you can sorta see that in Joolanders pic from the inside). This is most likely where I'M getting what sounds like glass-to-metal tapping. I'll try to get some good close-up pics the next time I remove them but it won't be for awhile. I'm heading to Chicago again this weekend.
mines not the glas on metal, is aluminum on aluminum, and its on the passenger upper bracket

just needs some padding

executioner, does this help?

Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 PM
executioner
1st Gear Member

Actually I am wanting to know what they look like if I was looking at them from the front of the car across the roof. Just wondering if they are flush with the roof line or do they stick up with a gap tween the roof and the top louver. But thanks for the pic.

Well I just ordered a setGuess I know what I will be doing next week[8D]
Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

true Joolander , I am not knocking on the Astra's I think they look great also......like you said to each their own
Old 06-23-2008, 03:19 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: executioner

Actually I am wanting to know what they look like if I was looking at them from the front of the car across the roof. Just wondering if they are flush with the roof line or do they stick up with a gap tween the roof and the top louver. But thanks for the pic.

Well I just ordered a setGuess I know what I will be doing next week[8D]
Don't have time today to get you a picture, but they fit flat against the glass. Because of the angle of things right there and the fact that it's not that thick, it doesn't stick up. It just meets the roofline with the same gap that the glass already has. It forms a slightly different angle with the roof than the glass does because the top of it is a slat. You don't see them sticking up from the front of the car. In fact, unless you're very tall or standing on something, you won't see them from the front of the car at all, just as you don't see the back window from the front of the car unless you look through the windshield.

Sorry, that's probably as clear as mud. I think you will probably be happy with them. I like mine.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
executioner
1st Gear Member

Actually that was very clear. Sounds like just what i was looking for. Thanks so much.

Quick Reply: Lets talk about rear window louvers.