Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad hesitation on W.O.T acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:39 PM
badger2840
1st Gear Member

Default Bad hesitation on W.O.T acceleration

Heres my issue
Going down the highway been driving for about 2 hours then i go to pass a big semi
hit the gas hard , my auto 2006 gt downshift then bogs down like 3 times (almost like it upshifted downshifted and upshifted) this lasted no more than maybe 2 seconds then she took off like a bat out of hell.
happened 2 times on 2 different passing attemps , both time i was maybe doing 110 km/h when i mashed the gas and the car bogged down.
Anyone have any insight? Is this a known issue or something completely unheard of.
kinda felt like the car wasnt getting any gas
vrooommmm...beuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...vrooooooom...beuhh hhhhhhhhhhh vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom gone then i took off.
Im puzzled.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:53 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Bad hesitation on W.O.T acceleration

im guessing fuel pump TSB is a good place to start
Old 06-28-2008, 06:01 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

mine does the same exact thing but my fuel pump was all ready replaced. Ford dealer told me an induction system cleaning was needed
Old 06-28-2008, 06:22 PM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

do you guys have traction control on while cruising on the highway? if i'm doing say like 65 and i have to quickly pass someone and drop it into third and whack the gas my traction control will cut the power right off. scared the heck out of me first time it happened. i turn off traction control now everytime i go on the highway for that very reason andi haven't had a problem since. give it a try.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:00 PM
badger2840
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tungsten07

do you guys have traction control on while cruising on the highway? if i'm doing say like 65 and i have to quickly pass someone and drop it into third and whack the gas my traction control will cut the power right off. scared the heck out of me first time it happened. i turn off traction control now everytime i go on the highway for that very reason andi haven't had a problem since. give it a try.

Yes i did have my traction control on at both attempts to pass, il try taking it off when i hit the highway next time and floor it.
Thanks for the input guys.im still gonna check that fuel pump tsb howarmat stated.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:30 PM
shane.stockard
2nd Gear Member

My car does the same thing when I have been on the highway for a extended time. First time it scared the hell out of me. Have not had the chance to take it into the shop here. Will follow up on it once I get back to the states.

I will have to try the Traction Control system idea next time.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I do not think it has anything to do with TC. It is just a common problem with the automatic transmission and the drive by wire throttle.

It can be very scary, especially when you're trying to get around someone slow and the guy coming up behind you is flying!

If you are in D (and probably in 5th) and want to pass quickly, the car just doesn't know what gear to go into. Try turning overdrive off with the button on the side of the shifter and the car will more easily drop down a gear. Or just do not floor it all the way, but learn to just give it enough throttle to kick it down one or 2 gears.

I used to have that hesitation all the time, but not recently. I think I just changed my driving style. Or maybe I just hate flooring it and seeing all my money getting burned up!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I do not think it has anything to do with TC. It is just a common problem with the automatic transmission and the drive by wire throttle....

It's not just auto's that have that problem so it's either fuel deliver, ignition or the TCS (since the TCS WILL prevent overpowering the rear wheels). I'm considering disconnecting the battery AND reloading my tune. But since it's so darned intermittent, it's really a b**ch to diagnose.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:11 AM
badger2840
1st Gear Member

probably gonna get the ole dealer run-around " Im sorry sir but we cant seem to recreate the issue you are experiencing, your car is fine thank you and have a nice day"
Im gonna take her in next week and see what they say about it.
Il try to keep people up to date on this , it can be a safety issue if you want my opinion because when i changed lanes to go to the passing lane and my car bogs down on me it literally scared the living **** out of me because im expecting to go zoom not boom and now im hesitant on passing when i see someone coming up in my rear view.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:49 AM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

it's not an automatic thing trust me guys try taking the tcs off.

Quick Reply: Bad hesitation on W.O.T acceleration